The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
Posts 351 to 375 of 402

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I am working on RC #9
    That's in Volume 2, right? I'll have to find my book / CD and check that one out. Are we doing 8 bars a week still?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

The schedule has gone a bit awry. I have been posting completed versions whenever they are completed. Many others have been doing the same.

I am trying to stick to one complete version per month.

User Info Menu

Gotta run this morning but I'll find the book / CD this evening and see what I can make of #9. Frank's such a great player and solid teacher---it'd be a shame not to learn from him, right? Kudos to you for keeping at it!

Great. Like you, I am a big Frank Vignola fan. Let me know if you need anything. It is great to see you back here Mark.

User Info Menu

Great. Like you, I am a big Frank Vignola fan. Let me know if you need anything. It is great to see you back here Mark.
    Thanks!
    Listened to #9 a couple times and looked at the book. Nice solo. Definitely want to learn it. I'll take it in 8-bar sections, if that's okay. Getting back into the groove, so to speak, and not wanting to take on more than I can handle. (I tend to do that and I'm trying to stop!)

User Info Menu

I've been over all the sections of #9. Not at tempo yet, but I can play all the lines. The bridge is nice. Probably won't post anything for a few days---things are hectic here (and unusually cold, which bothers my hands) and frankly, I'm lucky to get my practicing in. But maybe mid week I should have at least the first 8 bars at tempo. Glad this SG is still going on.

User Info Menu

Are you thinking of volume 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Torito
    I am not sure that I understand your question

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Perhaps Torito is thinking about track #9 on the Volume 1 CD. Offhand, I don't know what that might be. But here, we're talking about Rhythm Changes Etude #9, which is in Volume 2 of Frank's 3 Volume series on rhythm changes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Torito
    I bought this,

Frank Vignola's Complete Rhythm Changes Play-Along for Guitar: Amazon.co.uk: Frank Vignola: 9780786697243: Books

Which seems to be Vols 1-3 all in one place, 34 tracks & downloadable audio.

Looks like the thread's back in business, in which case I'll have to find the book again, buried under more recent guitar books which I haven't yet opened...

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    I bought this,

Frank Vignola's Complete Rhythm Changes Play-Along for Guitar: Amazon.co.uk: Frank Vignola: 9780786697243: Books

Which seems to be Vols 1-3 all in one place, 34 tracks & downloadable audio.

Looks like the thread's back in business, in which case I'll have to find the book again, buried under more recent guitar books which I haven't yet opened...
    That is the same copy that I have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Think I'll post a version of #9 tomorrow, thought not at 126 bpm. Maybe 90--100. Trying to play through the whole thing and want to record a take to see how it's hanging together (or not). ;o)

User Info Menu

No backing track, just a metronome. Wanted to see where I was with this. Hope to be up to performance tempo soon. Getting there...

User Info Menu

I think this is better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I think this is better.

That's the one, now I definitely gotta find the book...well played

I think this is better.

That was great Mark !!
    Way to go. Smooth playing.

User Info Menu

That was great Mark !!
    Way to go. Smooth playing.
    Thanks, man. I thought there were more clams in it when I was playing in then when I watched it later. I've made another pick change and it seems to be helping. (I'll have a LOT to say about that in another week or so.)

Started on #10 this morning. Tasty stuff. Happy to be back in the saddle.

Thanks, man. I thought there were more clams in it when I was playing in then when I watched it later. I've made another pick change and it seems to be helping. (I'll have a LOT to say about that in another week or so.)

We are happy to have you back.

I got #9 up to 122 bpm yesterday with a few clams. I am trying to get it to 126 with no clams before I post.

User Info Menu

Thought I would record etude # 10 on my iPhone just now. Played along with Frank on his CD and then played the etude again while he comped. Then I hit the red button on the iPhone to stop recording. Only, I hadn't started it, so I turned the recorder on after the performance and captured myself standing up and putting my guitar away. O well... Tomorrow (or maybe later today) I'll try again.

Really like Etude # 10.

Here is my take on Frank Vignola's RC #9
    Recorded at 126 bpm.
    Backing track is from Jazz Session Band app. I modified the Rhythm changes chords to match Frank Vignola's chords.

RC#9

A couple of things about this solo:
    1. It is my favourite so far. The solos seem to be getting better.
    2. Frank's little trow away phrases (e.g Bar 8, Bar 5, Bars 15 and 16, Bars 25 and 26) really make this solo.
    3. Some nice examples of encircling a target note in the bridge

Notes on my changes to Vignola's fingerings
    1. I played Bars 1 and 2 at the 7th position because I wanted to play E, Eb and D as Octaves (Wes Montgomery style). I found that I needed to move the entire phrase to make that happen.
    2. I also wanted to play Bars 25 and 26 in Octaves.
    3. I also wanted to play Bar 31 in Octaves.

I am playing a D'Angelico EXS-1DH guitar with Gibson 57 pickups through a Polytone Mini Brute amp (If anyone cares).

User Info Menu

Here is my take on Frank Vignola's RC #9
    Recorded at 126 bpm.
    Well done! Really enjoyed that. The octaves were a nice touch. That is also one of my favorite solos of Frank's.

User Info Menu

Once w/ Frank playing the etude and once without. Some mistakes, to be sure, but I'm gradually getting LESS anxious while recording and the only way I know to become even less anxious is to do it more... Thank you for your patience.

Once w/ Frank playing the etude and once without. Some mistakes, to be sure, but I'm gradually getting LESS anxious while recording and the only way I know to become even less anxious is to do it more... Thank you for your patience.

Nice playing Mark. I just started RC#10. I feel like these solos are getting better. They are sounding more like Frank Vignola and less like teaching material.

I will say more about this on my post of RC#10

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Made this during my morning practice. Not great, not awful, good in spots. Getting better (though not as soon as I'd like.) Using a Crossover Pick lately (this is the Kodiak) and I like it, though some fine-tuning remains to be done.