The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 68

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gtrplrfla
    Ron Eschete never seems to get the recognition he truly deserves. He's a veritable whiz on 6 or 7 string guitar.
    Please check out this video lesson regarding, "There'll Never Be Another You," written by Mack Gordon and Harry Warren.
    Man, that's mighty fine!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Love the ending!

User Info Menu

Ron is a superb player, and that guitar's tone in his hands is fabulous. Luthier?

I'm sure Ron can play most any style of jazz, but just to point out an interesting comparison. I was listening to Peter Mazza, who is an excellent player that tends to reharmonize and substitute chords in his arrangements which creates a very modern sound but often jars with my own sensibility. Taking nothing away from Peter, but my ears gravitate to Ron's approach which is very sophisticated but very lyrical as well. Different strokes for different folks.

The only thing that would make this video even better would be if there were an on screen scrolling notation of the bass part as he plays to help key into his use of the ninths and inversions more in an audio sense, though of course I'm talking about visually reading the bass part as he plays. Great player.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    Ron is a superb player, and that guitar's tone in his hands is fabulous. Luthier?

C. B. Hill.

http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...CBHill_JJG.pdf

User Info Menu

A link to the C. B. Hill site---nice variety of beautiful guitars.
    CB Hill Guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    A link to the C. B. Hill site---nice variety of beautiful guitars.
    CB Hill Guitars
    Damn!! That 15" Corvette has my name all over it!
    Any idea about the price?

User Info Menu

Ron mentions pentatonics in his book. No surprise, really, as they are integral to much jazz playing. But I sometimes wonder if guitar players who started out playing rock and blues neglect pentatonics when they take up jazz....

User Info Menu

Ron posted a video about this on this on his Facebook page.
    He gives me credit that is due Groyniad---who started this thread and who made the short video---but the main thing is the lesson.

https://www.facebook.com/cb.hill.37

(This link is to luthier C.B. Hill's Facebook page. He shot and posted the video. Many thanks, C.B.! )
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 02-19-2016 at 10:50 AM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

It is the third or fourth post on that page (as I write). The caption above the video shot reads: Ron Eschete on the topic of pattern playing (CAGED). Recorded at CBHill guitars

User Info Menu

Here's a link to the same video on Ron's Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/ron.eschete?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

Rom posted a video about this on this on his Facebook page.
    He gives me credit that is due Groyniad---who started this thread and who made the short video---but the main thing is the lesson.

https://www.facebook.com/cb.hill.37

(This link is to luthier C.B. Hill's Facebook page. He shot and posted the video. Many thanks, C.B.! )
    Thanks. I love the dismissive way he mentions his own book! :-)

Groovy and generous.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Thanks. I love the dismissive way he mentions his own book! :-)

Groovy and generous.
    Did he say he wrote that "back when knighthood was in flower"? An arresting phrase. I googled it and discovered it is the name of a novel published in 1898. It later was made into a play and then into a movie. There is a short piece by the same name in the John Thompson piano series....

User Info Menu

Did he say he wrote that "back when knighthood was in flower"? An arresting phrase. I googled it and discovered it is the name of a novel published in 1898. It later was made into a play and then into a movie. There is a short piece by the same name in the John Thompson piano series....
    Seriously. I love you guys. I am SOOO on the right forum.

User Info Menu

Is it possible to post that video here on the forum where you can see it. I only have internet here at work and facebook is not allowed. I'd like to see it if possible.

I wish Ron would come home to Louisiana and play again. I saw him about 15 or so years ago here when he did a short clinic at Fabregas Music store. Then that night he played at a restaurant with a couple of guys from New Orleans.
    The drummer was Johnny Vidocovich and the bass player was Mike Singleton.

I remember Ron demonstrating playing all twelve major scales in a six fret area.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dookychase
    Is it possible to post that video here on the forum where you can see it. I only have internet here at work and facebook is not allowed. I'd like to see it if possible.

If there's a way, I don't know about it.

destinytot Guest
    At first blush, it seems congenial to the Herb Ellis approach, which was not CAGED but rather three main positions, each covering 4 to 6 frets (with some overlap).
    There's some similarity to what Peter Farrell teaches (thoroughly and well/effectively), which probably has more to do with fingering than picking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    There's some similarity to what Peter Farrell teaches (thoroughly and well/effectively), which probably has more to do with fingering than picking.
    Destiny, could you say a bit more about that? I'm unfamiliar with Peter's teaching.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dookychase

I wish Ron would come home to Louisiana and play again. I saw him about 15 or so years ago here when he did a short clinic at Fabregas Music store. Then that night he played at a restaurant with a couple of guys from New Orleans.
    The drummer was Johnny Vidocovich and the bass player was Mike Singleton.

I remember Ron demonstrating playing all twelve major scales in a six fret area.
    Hope this helps:

User Info Menu

Yea. Thanks

User Info Menu

Ron Eschete and George Benson doing "I'll Drink to That" with Joey DeFrancesco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=sKD69_zFC4w

User Info Menu

Ron Eschete and George Benson doing "I'll Drink to That" with Joey DeFrancesco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=sKD69_zFC4w
    Love it!! Thanks Mark!

User Info Menu

Guys
    I was able to download the actual clip of Ron's lesson. I could post it, but I am not sure about approvals, permissions, etc. I wouldn't want to do anything Ron didn't want or like. But if he approved it, I could post to YouTube and put a link here for you. It downloaded very nicely and is a worthwhile lesson, but I don't feel I should post it without his full approval and blessing.

Could some of you who have contact with him perhaps ask if he would be enthusiastic about sharing that way? If not, I could do it via a private server just for you folks. I also am willing just to delete the file if he prefers that.

His instruction is just so solid, it would be nice to have that out somewhere for folks who don't like dealing with Facebook.

User Info Menu

If you are questioning the builder of the guitar Ron is playing in the video of "There Will Never Be Another You" that is a Mapson, not a C.B. Hill. Jim is no longer building as far as I know.
    All due respect to C.B. Hill's work. Check out the "M" inlaid on the headstock.

User Info Menu

Gorgeous

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Hope this helps:
    Perhaps I ought to have asked first. If I've caused any harm, I'll apologise - and clear up any mess.

Just sent to Ron Eschete:
    Dear Ron Eschete,

Warm and friendly greetings from this fan in Valencia, Spain!

I'm writing to let you know that I've taken the liberty of firstly recording (in poor quality, by hand-held device and from a monitor screen) the video you very kindly made for the forum at jazzguitar.be and - secondly - sharing it within the thread at the link below:

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...tml#post620959

No infringement intended; I don't think you'll object to my actions, but -of course - I'll remove it immediately if they're 'in the wrong key'.

On the other hand, perhaps I should have asked first and not acted on impulse - in which case I apologise, and I also promise to think a.third time before acting in future. (I thought twice, and I honestly don't think you'd mind.)

What has prompted me to write is the fact that another member - who is able to actually download and share a decent copy - has expressed a wish to do what I failed to do, i.e. ask your approval. While it isn't my place to ask on behalf of the forum, I'd like to bring this member's kind offer to your attention.

In closing, thank you for reading this, for your marvellous music and teaching, and for generously making the video!

Kind regards,
    Mike McKoy (aka destinytot)

PS I use a more portable little AER now, but I love my Evans RE200! smile emoticon