The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

I love the way the top is attached to the sides, without binding.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

According to available information, S. Yairi was not K.Yairi's brother.

S. Yairi built some excellent classical guitars back in the late 60s early 70s.
    They were models: 200,300,400,500,600,700,800,900

900 being the highest quality with Brazilian rosewood, sometime very high quality East Indian

I have owned several to include 200, 600, 700, 900.

Be cautious as some were sloppy and not solid wood.
    Otherwise excellent .

I owned one 12 fret slothead steel string 00 size S. Yairi from 1969; solid mahogany backs and sides , spruce top. Superior to a couple Martins I owned of the same configuration.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian46
    According to available information, S. Yairi was not K.Yairi's brother.
    S. Yairi built some excellent classical guitars back in the late 60s early 70s.
    They were models: 200,300,400,500,600,700,800,900
    900 being the highest quality with Brazilian rosewood, sometime very high quality East Indian
    I have owned several to include 200, 600, 700, 900.
    Be cautious as some were sloppy and not solid wood.
    Otherwise excellent .
    I owned one 12 fret slothead steel string 00 size S. Yairi from 1969; solid mahogany backs and sides , spruce top. Superior to a couple Martins I owned of the same configuration.
    Yairi - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

You are correct. Sad(a)o was actually Kazuo's uncle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    hah..it was quite the sleepy burgh way back then..pumpkin and garlic fields..not much goin on

gods country indeed tho!!..still, by compare

cheers
    I know, but in '79 the real estate was cheap by today's standards. Today that area has multi-million dollar properties that back in '79 could have been purchased for a song. And its close proximity to San Francisco makes it a safe haven yet within minutes to all the benefits of the city. That's what I'm saying. I moved to Seattle in '79, from Sacramento, and could have easily moved to that area yet I was on a mission to explore the NW. I found my bliss here, yet a part of me still longs for the San Francisco of my youth. Pacifica is a beautiful area of the country without a doubt.

User Info Menu

Pacifica is a lovely little area, at least its was the last time I was there, over 10 years ago. BUT there is also a large element of crime there - crack dealers, meth labs, lots of Section 8 folks driving nice cars. I remember one day going up to the street to get my mail, there at the end of the block were 2 fire trucks, 6 large black vans with blacked out windows, guys in diver's suits with air tanks. City, County and State Sheriff vehicles. Turns out my street was the rallying point for them before taking down a meth lab up near Skyline... I decided it was time to go to Sausalito for dinner.

Yes, it is very conveniently close to Bart, Half Moon Bay, and points San Francisco. BUT it is remarkably foggy there a lot. I was sorta glad to get out of there. I miss Tam's Chinese Restaurant and the great mexican restaurants there but I don't miss how wet everything got from the fog.

Big

User Info Menu

Here's a similar (but I believe actual 19th cent.) guitar that I found in a shop years ago. When I inspected the inside with a mirror I found a bag of weed taped to the underside of the top

The headstock and back of the neck were really hacked up so I had the entire neck refinished. In retrospect, bad decision, but I was a foolish teen, and the whole vintage-original thing wasn't a factor then. I also replaced the gears, which were barely functional. I think at some point before me, the original bridge was replaced (poorly and out of alignment) with the current pin-bidge. When I get around to it, I might have a new period-correct bridge made for it.

1970s K. Yairi GL180 Romantic Period Guitar-git-front-jpg
    1970s K. Yairi GL180 Romantic Period Guitar-git-back-jpg
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 02-18-2018 at 06:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Here's a similar (but I believe actual 19th cent.) guitar that I found in a shop years ago. When I inspected the inside with a mirror I found a bag of weed taped to the underside of the top

The neck was really hacked up so I had it refinished. In retrospect, bad decision, but I was a foolish teen. I also replaced the gears, which were barely functional. I think at some point before me, the original bridge was replaced (poorly and out of alignment) with the current pin-bidge. When I get around to it, I might have a new period-correct bridge made for it.

1970s K. Yairi GL180 Romantic Period Guitar-git-front-jpg
    1970s K. Yairi GL180 Romantic Period Guitar-git-back-jpg

Was the weed any good ??? LOL
    I'm including two photos - the GL180 and my '40 L5 in the same deck chair so you can get an idea of scale, how small these romantic period guitars are. THEY ARE lovely sounding...

Big

1970s K. Yairi GL180 Romantic Period Guitar-28168445_10155438446217239_5997108303150383578_n-jpg1970s K. Yairi GL180 Romantic Period Guitar-27972640_10155438351522239_1281157490678458300_n-jpg

User Info Menu

Mike, I just ran across this post by you.
    You may not get this but I hope so.
    I own a K. Yairi GL600 and need to know its value.
    Can you help?