The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 146

User Info Menu

I have a Line 6 HELIX and have been using it in the studio for almost two years as a part of my studio rig and occupation.
    I can't say enough about it as a useful, easy to command, convenient and impressive sounding tool for any guitarist looking to expand their sound canvas.
    I provide music soundtrack for film and tv, as such the HELIX is invaluable at producing rich and convincing amp tones at the flip of a dial. In terms of deep and rich clean tones for an archtop or for playing jazz the HELIX is hard to beat. The amp and cab models are spectacular. The effects are for me useable and then some, though as someone else has pointed out it's hard to beat an Eventide Harmonizer for what it does, that said the HELIX has enough onboard effects as to keep anyone busy for thousands of hours.
    I should mention that I also have the Fractal AX8, another similar box that performs similarly. The user interface of the HELIX is much more user friendly in my opinion.
    Last edited by electricfactory; 01-05-2018 at 02:30 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Another thing I love is that with each firmware update, Line 6 add new effects and amp/cab models and stuff, so it's kind of like getting new free gear periodically. Anyhow, in case anyone is looking for such a thing - I've just in the last half hour taken delivery of a padded case I bought for my Helix LT, and it seems excellent to me, and is a great fit - one of these from Thomann.de :

Thomann Effect Pedal Bag – Thomann UK

User Info Menu

I have not heard any convincing jazz/clean sounds out of the helix though I'm sure it's possible. Would love to hear a clip from someone who has gotten this worked out though I can't see myself switching from the fractal products. The kemper is also great but I love the form factor, build quality, audio quality and price of the AX8

User Info Menu

Hi Jzucker and Happy New Year! The Fractal AX8 is terrific, in fact I have an AX8 in my studio. Love it, use it. For my purposes though neither unit is 'better', each having its own strong/ weak points. I believe either is capable of reproducing 'convincing' guitar sounds, clean or not, jazz or not. In fact I may have a couple of sound files of either unit being used in that context, will post 'em if I can locate.
    Love Fractal Audio !

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I have not heard any convincing jazz/clean sounds out of the helix though I'm sure it's possible. Would love to hear a clip from someone who has gotten this worked out though I can't see myself switching from the fractal products. The kemper is also great but I love the form factor, build quality, audio quality and price of the AX8

User Info Menu

Congrats to both of you!

Meggy, do I understand you correctly, that you are getting good results plugging the Helix into your cube 80 and running it through the clean channel? Are you able to get different amp and cab sounds with that method?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro
    Congrats to both of you!

Meggy, do I understand you correctly, that you are getting good results plugging the Helix into your cube 80 and running it through the clean channel? Are you able to get different amp and cab sounds with that method?
    Hi Ozoro - I did play around with a few amp+cab models going through the Cube's clean channel, and it sounded pretty good to me - I tried the Fender Twin model, also the Roland Jazz Chorus 212 model - can't remember the names of the models but that's what they are! and also one called "architype clean" which I believe is the clean channel of a PRS Archon amp. It was possible to alter the tone of the Cube 80 quite significantly, and I would say at least a lot of the subtleties in the amp models came through to a fair extent.

But I also felt that the Cube amp was (as it surely had to be) colouring things to a significant degree, and probably masking the full subtlety and detail of the models. I wouldn't say any of the tones I got were "better" than the Cube's clean channel on it's own, although some were quite different - I know that's a subjective judgement, but I think with a quality, flat-response, full range powered speaker, then I'd likely get sounds I do think are "better" than the Cube's clean channel. Hope that makes sense - I guess to summarise I would say I was initially impressed by the power of the amp/cab modelling technology, which does say something good about that - but after a while I started to feel the limitations of using an inexpensive guitar amp's clean channel. So I wouldn't recommend going that way as a permanent setup - I think it needs something different to hear the amp/cab modelling at it's best, and I will be getting a good FRFR powered speaker for that reason.

That said, the effects are great!
    Last edited by Meggy; 01-05-2018 at 01:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey Meggy. congratulations! Have fun.

before you get too deep, make sure your unit has been upgraded to the latest firmware. they just released a firmware update, I wanna say a couple of weeks ago. that includes a new editing package. there are a half a dozen new amp models and some new effects packages. the new editing interface is way more friendly and you'll appreciate it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kaye
    Hey Meggy. congratulations! Have fun.

before you get too deep, make sure your unit has been upgraded to the latest firmware. they just released a firmware update, I wanna say a couple of weeks ago. that includes a new editing package. there are a half a dozen new amp models and some new effects packages. the new editing interface is way more friendly and you'll appreciate it.
    Thanks Michael - nearly the first thing I did was upgrade from firmware 2.12.2 to 2.30.0 - I hope that is the latest version you're speaking of?

User Info Menu

yep. that's it.

User Info Menu

yep. that's it.
    Good to know!

User Info Menu

Hey Meggy. do me a favor if you can. snap me a photo of that gig bag and the Helix in it?

I have a nicely padded gator bag that barely fits. I haven't found anyone making a bag for the Helix yet that fits perfectly. that may not be true now. I haven't checked in a while.

the bag you referenced comes up 1/2 inch short (12") but I know from experience that its not rocket science when it comes to bag dimensions. I bought 2 identical gator bags and my helix fits in one and doesn't fit in the other.

anyway, I like my bags fitting snuggly but not too tight. As it is, I have to wrestle the Helix in to the gator bag (which also measures 1/2" shy in depth)

User Info Menu

OP, here are a couple of sound files, one of which was recorded w/ the HELIX, the other with the Fractal AX8. Both sound pretty organic to me, anyone venture a guess as to which is which ?

AROUND MIDNITE by JonButcher | Jon Butcher | Free Listening on SoundCloud
    Last edited by electricfactory; 01-05-2018 at 04:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey Meggy. do me a favor if you can. snap me a photo of that gig bag and the Helix in it?

I have a nicely padded gator bag that barely fits. I haven't found anyone making a bag for the Helix yet that fits perfectly. that may not be true now. I haven't checked in a while.

the bag you referenced comes up 1/2 inch short (12") but I know from experience that its not rocket science when it comes to bag dimensions. I bought 2 identical gator bags and my helix fits in one and doesn't fit in the other.

anyway, I like my bags fitting snuggly but not too tight. As it is, I have to wrestle the Helix in to the gator bag (which also measures 1/2" shy in depth)
    Will be back with a photo, give me an hour as I have to nip out now. But the bag is close to perfect (close, not too tight or loose) fit with the Helix LT. If you've got the Helix Floor, then maybe it's not so good though.

User Info Menu

OK, so hope this helps Michael - case with Helix LT in:

Anyone here got a Line 6 Helix or Helix LT?-dsc00334-jpg

Looking on the website though, the Helix Floor is 1.18 inches (near as dammit 3cm) wider, which does appear to be there at the sides of the LT, perhap a bit more even, so you might well get one to go in. But what might cause some problem though, is that the corners of the case are curved, and so effectively cut the corners of the rectangle away, if you see what I mean. So perhaps rather an uncomfortable fit at best - wish I could tell you for sure, but would have to have a Helix Floor to find out.

User Info Menu

Hej electricfactory! I heard no difference in the two clips, and indeed, they sounded very organic to me. Very nice to have them back to back as it were, and instructive as well. Thanks! The pro´s and con´s in Helix and AX8 have been bantered about, and with everything there is an obvious plus and minus side. That said both units seem to be very usable, having each individual idiosyncrasies. meggy´s info has certainly whetted my appetite!

User Info Menu

Not that I'm trying to tempt you Ozoro (OK, a bit...) but it is an amazing bit of kit - I've been playing guitar loads in the last few days, just because it's so much fun creating sounds and experimenting. I've just this morning got my preferred lead tone dialed in, which is a RAT model, on fairly low gain with the filter cutting a lot of the highs, pushing a Klon overdrive model, set to the higher end of it's gain control, plus a Dynacomp compressor model on moderate settings before the two drives. The result is a singing, controllable sustained lead tone, with just a hint of gnarly character from the RAT - not unlike Holdsworth or someone like that (if I could play like that ).

There was quite a bit of playing around with various drive pedals, in combination and singly to get this, and it took a while - but the point is that the Helix makes this sort of thing much easier. Finding such a tone by having to buy all the possible individual pedals and try them out in all different combinations, then sell the ones I don't need - seems a complete non-starter to me. The Helix allows you to experiment and find things in a way that wasn't practical before. All the distortion models seem excellent too I'm sure pretty accurate representations of the pedals - of course not all are to my taste, but the modelling is impressive.

I do want to get into the amp/cab/mic modelling side of things as soon as possible - probably looking at getting a single Yamaha DXR10 powered speaker initially, then maybe another for stereo later, when funds allow. I got a list of the current amp models of the web, out of interest, these are just the guitar ones (there are bass amps too) - some ought to be very applicable for jazz use, and the Gibson EH-185 model is interesting for sure:

WhoWatt 100 - Hiwatt® DR-103 Brill
    Soup Pro - Supro® S6616
    Stone Age 185 - Gibson® EH-185
    Tweed Blues Nrm - Fender® Bassman® (normal channel)
    Tweed Blues Brt - Fender® Bassman® (bright channel)
    US Small Tweed - Fender® Champ
    US Deluxe Nrm - Fender® Deluxe Reverb® (normal channel)
    US Deluxe Vib - Fender® Deluxe Reverb® (vibrato channel)
    US Double Nrm - Fender® Twin Reverb® (normal channel)
    US Double Vib - Fender® Twin Reverb® (vibrato channel)
    Mail Order Twin - Silvertone® 1484
    Divided Duo - ÷13 JRT 9/15
    Interstate Zed - Dr Z® Route 66
    Jazz Rivet 120 - Roland® JC-120 Jazz Chorus
    Essex A-15 - Vox® AC-15
    Essex A-30 - Vox® AC-30 with top boost
    A-30 Fawn Nrm - Vox® AC-30 Fawn (normal channel)
    A-30 Fawn Brt - Vox® AC-30 Fawn (bright channel)
    Mandarin 80 - Orange™ OR80
    Brit J-45 Nrm - Marshall® JTM-45 (normal channel)
    Brit J-45 Brt - Marshall® JTM-45 (bright channel)
    Brit Plexi Nrm - Marshall® Super Lead 100 (normal channel)
    Brit Plexi Brt - Marshall® Super Lead 100 (bright channel)
    Brit Plexi Jump - Marshall® Super Lead 100 (jumped)
    Brit P-75 Nrm - Park® 75 (normal channel)
    Brit P-75 Brt - Park® 75 (bright channel)
    Brit 2204 - Marshall® JCM-800
    German Mahadeva - Bogner® Shiva®
    German Ubersonic - Bogner® Überschall®
    Cali Rectifire - MESA/Boogie® Dual Rectifier®
    ANGL Meteor - ENGL® Fireball 100
    Solo Lead Clean - Soldano® SLO-100 (clean channel)
    Solo Lead Crunch - Soldano® SLO-100 (crunch channel)
    Solo Lead OD - Soldano® SLO-100 (overdrive channel)
    PV Panama - Peavey® 5150®
    Line 6 Elektrik - Line 6 Original
    Line 6 Doom - Line 6 Original
    Line 6 Epic - Line 6 Original
    Matchstick Ch1 - Matchless TM DC30, channel 1
    Matchstick Ch2 - Matchless TM DC30, channel 2
    Matchstick Jump - Jumping Matchless TM DC30, channels 1 & 2
    Cali IV Rhythm 1 - MESA/Boogie® Mk IV, rhythm 1 channel
    Cali IV Rhythm 2 - MESA/Boogie® Mk IV, rhythm 2 channel
    Cali IV Lead - MESA/Boogie® Mk IV, lead channel
    Line 6 2204 Mod - Line 6 original based on hot-rodded Marshall® JCM® 800
    Line 6 Fatality - Line 6 Original
    Archetype Clean - Paul Reed Smith® Archon®, clean channel
    Archetype Lead - Paul Reed Smith® Archon®, lead channel
    Line 6 Litigator - Line 6 Original inspired by boutique mid-gain amps
    Line 6 Badonk - Line 6 Original inspired by the original high gain Big Bottom model
    Voltage Queen - Victoria® Electro King
    Derailed Ingrid - Trainwreck Circuits® Express
    Brit Trem Nrm - Marshall® Plexi Tremolo 50, normal channel
    Brit Trem Brt - Marshall® Plexi Tremolo 50, bright channel
    Brit Trem Jump - Marshall® Plexi Tremolo 50, normal & bright channels
    Cartographer - Ben Adrian Cartographer

User Info Menu

I think I liked the second clip better, slightly more round and warm tone, though no solo lines, if I listened correctly. Nice playing! I've been tempted by an all in one floor modeler, but haven't had a chance to play with one. There is something still so right about tube tone for me, but I know they are getting close. I respect Jack Zucker's ears always, so I'm being pulled into investigating this tech at some point, but most of my favorite players still dig tubes.

I recently realized how much tone alteration my pedal board has been contributing after going straight in to one of my tube amps, even with good buffering (but apparently not good enough), so my first order of business is a new board with better power and shorter routing. (Silly me, I was thinking I didn't like some of the tones from my guitars and thought I needed some more pickup swaps! Plugged straight in, which I haven't done for a while, and discovered I really love ALL my guitars!)

Seriously looking at the new Voodoo boards with the dedicated switching built in, as a less expensive alternative to a custom board build by one of the california gurus. If I go floor processor some day, I will still keep my pedals and tube amps

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by electricfactory
    OP, here are a couple of sound files, one of which was recorded w/ the HELIX, the other with the Fractal AX8. Both sound pretty organic to me, anyone venture a guess as to which is which ?

AROUND MIDNITE by JonButcher | Jon Butcher | Free Listening on SoundCloud
    In these samples, while neither is exactly what I go for, I much prefer the one used in Around Midnite. I’m very interested in hearing which is which.

User Info Menu

Ha meggy, if you have the impression of me being tempted, well, is there a treatment centre for GAS? I have been in Helix thoughts for quite a while actually, though it comes and goes. At the moment it is intense! I have a POD HD that I run through a G&K 200 and a Eminence bass speaker. The POD technology must be 10 yrs old, and the capabilities of these newer contraptions certainly does interest me. I have been thinking of a rack rather than a board, but that is only in the details. I think we all have some inner impression of the sound that is being sought, I certainly do. Thus far it has been elusive.

I have noted earlier that you were speaking of routing through a FRFR speaker, what is that actually? Is there a special characteristic about that chain that aids the Helix, or that a Helix is especially adapted to as opposed to a head and cab? I understand studio monitors to be flat so as to provide a better platform for mixing, is there some similarity in connecting Helix and a FRFR speaker rather than running through an amp whether it be tube or transistor?

User Info Menu

Ha meggy, if you have the impression of me being tempted, well, is there a treatment centre for GAS? I have been in Helix thoughts for quite a while actually, though it comes and goes. At the moment it is intense! I have a POD HD that I run through a G&K 200 and a Eminence bass speaker. The POD technology must be 10 yrs old, and the capabilities of these newer contraptions certainly does interest me. I have been thinking of a rack rather than a board, but that is only in the details. I think we all have some inner impression of the sound that is being sought, I certainly do. Thus far it has been elusive.

I have noted earlier that you were speaking of routing through a FRFR speaker, what is that actually? Is there a special characteristic about that chain that aids the Helix, or that a Helix is especially adapted to as opposed to a head and cab? I understand studio monitors to be flat so as to provide a better platform for mixing, is there some similarity in connecting Helix and a FRFR speaker rather than running through an amp whether it be tube or transistor?
    FRFR means full range, flat response. Any amp has a limited frequency range and it’s own tonal coloration properties. An FRFR setup allows one to most accurately use the amp and speaker simulations.

User Info Menu

Try the HeadRush, Jack -- love to know your opinion.

-Chris

User Info Menu

Thanks TRM! I get the theoretical picture, now for the practical one. What would be an example of a FRFR amp, and FRFR speaker? I have never see one advertised, though I do admit that I do not follow this kind of thing. In fact I did not know FRFR amps/speakers existed. I can certainly understand their importance in a chain using something like the Helix or AX8 or what ever. I would much appreciate an orientation in the field!

User Info Menu

Friedman ASM-12 is an FRFR monitor.

-C

User Info Menu

One more also done with either HELIX or AX8, call it #3.
    Which of the three?

User Info Menu

Sorry, I guess I'm not helping with the GAS situation. This is all a very new world to me, and you do already have some relevant experience with the POD HD, so perhaps it would be worth your while going somewhere to try a Helix and compare, if possible. Perhaps I'm still in the initial wow stage also, so bear that in mind - but it still seems like the best thing I've bought in a very long time.

As ThatRhythmMan has said, FRFR is full range and flat response - so as to reproduce the amp/cab/mic models as faithfully as possible. I guess another desirable quality in such a unit is very good, detailed sound fidelity to bring out as much nuance as possible. Also plenty of power and clean headroom - perhaps considerably more than one would look for in a normal guitar amp.

There seem to be various models mentioned as very suitable on guitar forums - the Alto TS210 is one, then the Yamaha DBR10 is another for a bit more money, and the Yamaha DXR10 seems to be spoken of in glowing terms, but costs more still (about twice what the Alto does). Also mentioned on here by Michael Kaye is the QSC K10, Friedman ASM12 mentioned by h1pst3r88, and there are doubtless others to consider. I'm currently weighing up my options and the various pros and cons - I like the portability to performance ratio of a 10" woofer model I think. Anyhow, I will probably get a single unit to start with, of the best quality I can afford, and can always add a second for stereo later (I think stereo is great, but not my first priority). All pretty new to me too though, and still finding out as much as I can.