The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 87

User Info Menu

Is it loud enough to keep up with the loudest drummers? Does it have enough headroom?

right now i'm using a roland cube 80GX which is plenty loud but i don't dig the tone that much...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I wonder why 45/60 watts?
    With pro features like XLR out and the plethora of small, light class D power amps, I would've thought that it would be 100w minimum at 8 ohms.

User Info Menu

It says "Speaker ON/OFF" among the specs.
    I wonder if that means that the amp can be used as a head, by switching off its own speaker.

User Info Menu

45w is a fatal design flaw

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    It says "Speaker ON/OFF" among the specs.
    I wonder if that means that the amp can be used as a head, by switching off its own speaker.
    I think you can use external speaker only in position Off.
    Two speakers in position ON-inside and external.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    45w is a fatal design flaw
    I do not think so before chequing it...:-)
    may be it has really 45watt with haedroom...I mean clean sound ...

User Info Menu

i must agree, these days with good front of house PA systems who needs more than 45w if it's of course if the 45w of power is clean as long as it has a descent line out ....

in my experience as a gigging player whenever the band needs to be loud or at festivals ect a descent PA and engineer is on hand ... and sure in old days F.O.H. was horrid but times have changed

so maybe 45w of good sound is all one needs .....well definitely all i need ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keira Witherkay
    i must agree, these days with good front of house PA systems who needs more than 45w if it's of course if the 45w of power is clean as long as it has a descent line out ....

in my experience as a gigging player whenever the band needs to be loud or at festivals ect a descent PA and engineer is on hand ... and sure in old days F.O.H. was horrid but times have changed

so maybe 45w of good sound is all one needs .....well definitely all i need ....
    most of the clubs around here do not have house PA systems. My rule of thumb is that an amp has to be loud enough to play with a loud sax, organ player or electric keys. If I'm jamming with friends, I don't want to have to bring a PA system.

And 45w of SS is *NOTHING* ! You might be able to get by with a 22W deluxe or a 40w tube amp but in solid state amps, 45w is a deal breaker in my opinion. Of course, maybe this amp has extra headroom but every other SS jazz amp is got at least 80W and most have 2x that.

User Info Menu

Here's joe pass and barney kessel playing a duo. Joe was using his polytone (more than 45W) They were also mic'd with the house system. You can clearly hear Joe's amp distorting when he plays block chords.

This is why 45W isn't enough...

User Info Menu

Here's joe pass and barney kessel playing a duo. Joe was using his polytone (more than 45W) They were also mic'd with the house system. You can clearly hear Joe's amp distorting when he plays block chords.

This is why 45W isn't enough...
    Jack,
    It was in 1972...I think technology of the amps and speakers changed . Recording technology also...may be 45 watt it is too small power...anyway I have to try this small DV amp. May be next one DV will be 100 watt after my and yours sugestions.
    Best
    kris
    ps.
    great playing on video!

User Info Menu

I have too agree w/ Jack Z. on the 100 watts issue. I have always found it to be the case you need the clean headroom, and especially w/ solid state Class D amps. Right now, I'm gigging w/ a Quilter Aviator 12" 100 watts and I actually wish
    it was 200 watts!

User Info Menu

Guys, the thing is that the difference in cost between a 45w and a 100w class d amp is less than $10. My guess is that DV was more interested in keeping the speaker costs down and probably bought a boat-load of 50w neo speakers, hence the 45w amps. Just sayin...

Incidentally, quilter has a $399 200w head that weighs about 1lb

User Info Menu

Bingo! 200 watt head $399! There's also a 150 watt used Evans 1x10" combo for a fair price in the For Sale Forum at the moment!

User Info Menu

It's a mistake to judge an amp solely by its power rating. Loudness is a combination of power and speaker sensitivity. Speakers do not all produce the same volume for the same watts in. Even if the 8 and 12 inch speaker have the same mid-band sensitivity, the larger speaker will couple more bass to the room but disperse highs less, and therefore will sound different and louder with the added bass energy reaching the listener. Furthermore, doubling the power increases the loudness by only 3 dB, which is not going to be enough to compete with other musicians with no respect for their hearing. With regard to tube versus solid state amplification, engineers have often demonstrated that they can simulate tube distortion in a solid state circuit, but the myths die hard. In the words of Mark Twain: "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." You can't judge a guitar amp by its numbers, especially by just one number. You have to use your ears.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I have too agree w/ Jack Z. on the 100 watts issue. I have always found it to be the case you need the clean headroom, and especially w/ solid state Class D amps. Right now, I'm gigging w/ a Quilter Aviator 12" 100 watts and I actually wish
    it was 200 watts!
    Good news, it is 200 watts if you plug in a cab!

User Info Menu

Hi

I just signed in basically to make a comment on this discussion. I do own a DV Mark jazz 12 and I do giggs with it. And yes, it does not look powerfull just looking at the watt´s. But I do gig with a bigband and I have no problems playing loud enough.
    I like the sound, a bit like a Henriksen, it´s easy to carry and it´s half the price of a Henriksen.

User Info Menu

I think if you're going SS you need a minimum of 60W
    Last edited by Archie; 05-06-2015 at 01:08 PM.

User Info Menu

So interesting to see how the discussion of DV Mark jazz amps develops. I'm still a big fan of my Little Jazz. Also curious about their new offerings -- micro head & 2x12 combo. . . 50 watts vs 45? fan or no fan? I have no doubt they all have great tone -- the little jazz sure delivers in that area If it's all basically the same platform, I must agree that they could up the power a little. But they sure have the jazz tone nailed down in a nice way IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hkrause
    Hi

I just signed in basically to make a comment on this discussion. I do own a DV Mark jazz 12 and I do giggs with it. And yes, it does not look powerfull just looking at the watt´s. But I do gig with a bigband and I have no problems playing loud enough.
    Is it enough for clean solos over the horns? Hard to believe.

User Info Menu

Has someone compared it to his little brother ?

Both seems to have the same features except the speaker.
    What do you think will be the difference in term of volume delivery ?

Is "The little one may be not loud enough, let's give more money and take his big brother" logical ?

User Info Menu

Both have the same 45WRMS@8ohm / 60WRMS@4ohm power.

So ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by michael_bxl
    Both have the same 45WRMS@8ohm / 60WRMS@4ohm power.

So ?
    too little power to play with a loud drummer. For $4.50 in parts they could have made it 100w.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by michael_bxl
    Both have the same 45WRMS@8ohm / 60WRMS@4ohm power. So ?
    30 watt tube amp is a good thing for jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    30 watt tube amp is a good thing for jazz guitar.
    not if you're playing with a loud organ trio! I think 40w is minimum with a tube amp and 100w minimum for solid state. Not to say that a 30w amp can't do the job in most instances. I know a number of guitarists in NY that were using a deluxe reverb that they had modified with bigger transformers to handle 6L6 tubes and they were probably getting about 30w out of that setup. Still, most of them would not bring that setup to a horn gig or a loud pop band.

User Info Menu

not if you're playing with a loud organ trio! I think 40w is minimum with a tube amp and 100w minimum for solid state. Not to say that a 30w amp can't do the job in most instances. I know a number of guitarists in NY that were using a deluxe reverb that they had modified with bigger transformers to handle 6L6 tubes and they were probably getting about 30w out of that setup. Still, most of them would not bring that setup to a horn gig or a loud pop band.

I found the DR to be too quiet as well. That's what, 22 watts? 30 watts isn't all that much more power. I'm an SS guy through and through anyway.