The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50

User Info Menu

More than you probably want to know about scale length, and not related to what length a player may want, but I think this video is excellent:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Are you looking for a dual set-in humbucker, or a single floater? Here's a reasonably priced example of the latter:

Guild A-150 Savoy Hollowbody Archtop Electric Guitar Antique | Reverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Agree. Pre-war advanced L-5, L-7, L-10, L-12 - all great 17", 24 3/4" scale guitars.
    If you like the idea but must have a cutaway 17" with your 24 3/4" scale guitar:
    - Gibson Bozeman-built L-7C (@2003-2012)
    - Gibson "Solid Formed 17" Hollowbody Venetian" (@2015)
    are great options.
    The Solid Formed 17 was listed on the Gibson website, as I remember, with a 24.75” SL, but all four of them I’ve seen had a 25.5” scale.

User Info Menu

All of the L7s I have seen are 25.5 too.

I am partial to cutaways and the inset single pickup is the configuration I think lends itself to a warmer tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido5
    All of the L7s I have seen are 25.5 too.

I am partial to cutaways and the inset single pickup is the configuration I think lends itself to a warmer tone.
    Well now you're getting picky

User Info Menu

Benedetto and Buscarino have some more affordable models.

PRS guitars have the 25 inch scale, they now have a small archtop although its a different animal.

Campellone and other custom guys will make you one....

The 25 inch scale is the Johnny Smith spec and custom luthiers are all about that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Guild made a 17 inch archtop with the short scale for years.
    Guild X500? I had one. Sweet guitar

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    The Byrdland is a strange animal. 17 bout, 2-1/4 rims, and 23.5 scale with 22 frets. Cats seem to either love them to death or hate them. I am in the love camp. Very fast neck but if you have large hands forget it.

The perfect axe for me would be 17x3, 25 inch scale, 20 frets, 1-11/16 nut.
    Your perfect guitar seems to match specs of a Gibson Johnny Smith. Coincidence?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

The Peerless Monarch which can be had with a floater or a set-in pickup has the 24.75" scale and is a very reasonably priced, fine guitar.

User Info Menu

As it happens, I just bought a used Monarch (floater setup) with the intention of using it to survey pick-ups. The nice thing about a floating pickup instrument is the ability to change things without the "build the ship in the bottle" issues a set pickup instrument presents... I have a Kent Armstrong 12 pole i got from a forumite and the Kent Armstrong 6 pole P90 inspired model on the way. Oooo... this is going to be fun!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    The perfect axe for me would be 17x3, 25 inch scale, 20 frets, 1-11/16 nut.
    One pickup in the neck position and look sort of like this..
    17" lower bout with 25" or 24.75" scale. Why such a rare combo?-0a5ab2da-78cd-49f6-9df3-f4c7f382e752-jpg
    Maybe with a Little Viceroy Brown sprayed on it for good measure..
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    The Solid Formed 17 was listed on the Gibson website, as I remember, with a 24.75” SL, but all four of them I’ve seen had a 25.5” scale.
    i think my SF was 25-3/8. If it was 24-3/4” I’d probably still have it. That was a good guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    17" lower bout with 25" or 24.75" scale. Why such a rare combo?-0a5ab2da-78cd-49f6-9df3-f4c7f382e752-jpg

i think my SF was 25-3/8. If it was 24-3/4” I’d probably still have it. That was a good guitar.
    Whoa! I keep rubbing my eyes at this. Somebody dated outside the tribe or something...

User Info Menu

My D'Angelicos (built by John D'Angelico) are all 17 inch bout guitars with a short scale.

1935 Excel 17 inch bout 1 11/16 nut 24.75 scale

1937 Style A 17 inch bout 1 11/16 nut 25 scale

1948 Style B 17 inch bout 1 3/4 nut 24.75 scale

IMO, a 17 inch non cut carved archtop with a short scale is perfect. Warm, fat tone for days. It helps when the guitar is carved by a master luthier of course .17" lower bout with 25" or 24.75" scale. Why such a rare combo?-dangelico-excel-jpg17" lower bout with 25" or 24.75" scale. Why such a rare combo?-dangelico-style-jpg17" lower bout with 25" or 24.75" scale. Why such a rare combo?-dangelico-style-b-jpg

User Info Menu

These are the specs of my Benedetto guitars - 17” and 16” with 25” scale. Perfect for me too. John Buscarino also now offers a 25” scale nylon Cabaret.

User Info Menu

While there are many great options offered on the higher end spectrum, I believe the OP was somewhat limited by price constraints. Eastman and used Guild,Heritage might be his best bets.

Beautiful Custom Tal Farlow by thew way!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405

What is that thing?!
    I love it!

User Info Menu

17" lower bout with 25" or 24.75" scale. Why such a rare combo?-kgrhqv-k8fhqsdb-5pbr7c3e-eq60_57-jpg
    25" scale and big ebony bridge and base. Great combo, in the D'Aquisto tradition.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this option.

The Peerless Imperial would do nicely. All solid wood, 24.60" scale length. Affordable (around $21-2200). IMO, Peerless guitars represent a very good value. Take a look:

http://guitarsnjazz.com/wp-content/u...imperial-1.png

User Info Menu

I was fully expecting to buy an Imperial when I went to Guitars and Jazz. But trying instruments is an interesting experience... I was more taken, in person, by the Eastman Jazz Elite and a custom Eastman AR910cse. I ended up getting the AR910cse. I preferred the wider 1.75" nut and the slimmer D shaped necks of the Eastmans. The Peerless instruments have a narrower nut but a big chunky handful of a neck I just didn't bond with.

But mostly I was won over by the richness of the tone.

Others may come up with a different conclusion. It is nice to have choices! Lou is true gentleman and I strongly recommend finding your way to New Jersey if you are looking for an instrument. (you can stop in Manhattan to listen to some first class jazz while you are there...)

Curiously enough I lucked into a used Peerless Monarch for short money, I'm calling it my "lab rat". It is going to be a test bed for comparing floating pick-ups. Still not as fond of the feel, but it will be nice to have an instrument to do research on without being paranoid to put a scratch on like my AR910cse...

User Info Menu

I too have an Eastman AR910CE, love the guitar, playability and tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    Using a strap while seated was a revelation to me. Not having a strap now feels awkward. Give it a try, if you haven't. Might change your feelings about your 16" guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I never got back with feed back on this. It really does help! As much as I like my new 17" instruments. I am really digging the 16" with the strap. Thanks so much for this suggestion!
    Different instruments for different moods and contexts...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido5
    I was fully expecting to buy an Imperial when I went to Guitars and Jazz. But trying instruments is an interesting experience... I was more taken, in person, by the Eastman Jazz Elite and a custom Eastman AR910cse. I ended up getting the AR910cse. I preferred the wider 1.75" nut and the slimmer D shaped necks of the Eastmans. The Peerless instruments have a narrower nut but a big chunky handful of a neck I just didn't bond with.

But mostly I was won over by the richness of the tone.

Others may come up with a different conclusion. It is nice to have choices! Lou is true gentleman and I strongly recommend finding your way to New Jersey if you are looking for an instrument. (you can stop in Manhattan to listen to some first class jazz while you are there...)

Curiously enough I lucked into a used Peerless Monarch for short money, I'm calling it my "lab rat". It is going to be a test bed for comparing floating pick-ups. Still not as fond of the feel, but it will be nice to have an instrument to do research on without being paranoid to put a scratch on like my AR910cse...
    Well don't leave us hangin' lets see the AR910CSE. And congrats!

User Info Menu

Here is my baby...

User Info Menu

What's wrong with Eastman? I had an AR810CE which is 17" with a 25" scale. Nice guitar and reasonable . All solid wood, carved top.

User Info Menu

Congratulations Guido! Looks fabulous, and I bet plays the same. Enjoy it and make some music!