The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 62

User Info Menu

Actually it is not really a NGD as I have had this guitar for a year or so, but it needed some restoration, so never posted before. Here it is, now that it is all done…

It is an Excel, which is noted in the D’Angelico ledger as an “electric”. So originally electrified as it left DAngelico’s shop in 1959 (and fully carved, not the G7 laminated electric model). Unfortunately, these pickups aren’t the originals. It originally had a pair of Franz pickups, like a Guild would have had. Initially I even bought a set of old Franz’ for it with the idea to put those back in. But since the replaced pickups sound great (they are early 80s Gibson Tim Shaw PAF’s) after a while I decided to keep those, and only have pickup rings made over the old footprints and not do anything else to it.

The guitar needed some TLC because of the worst butchered up fretwork ever, partial binding replacement, etc. And I made a new guard myself, since the guard it came with was badly outgassing. But it is structurally fine, there are no breaks or so.

The original owner of this guitar was Tony Gattuso, who played banjo and guitar, amongst others in Louis Armstrong's Band. And apparently this guitar between the late 50s and early 80s has seen quite a bit of the world, so I love that part of its history as well.
    Last edited by fws6; 09-24-2017 at 01:50 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

As ususal images appear sideways for me

how come I make photos on an ipad straight up, when I look at them they are correct, and then when I upload them here they become landscapes again ???

let me try again
    Last edited by fws6; 09-24-2017 at 01:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow! Congratulations. Happy, Happy!

I have trouble with photo rotation also. I do a couple of test loads, using the preview function, and if they fail (i.e., load sideways), I go back to my computer, rotate them 90 degrees, save them using a different name, and try reloading the newly saved file. That seems to work, sometimes.

Why it happens, I don't know. Beautiful guitar!
    Last edited by skykomishone; 09-24-2017 at 01:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Second attempt

1959 D'Angelico Excel-img_3452-jpg

1959 D'Angelico Excel-img_3461-jpg

1959 D'Angelico Excel-img_3457-jpg

1959 D'Angelico Excel-img_3454-jpg

1959 D'Angelico Excel-img_3463-jpg

User Info Menu

Back

1959 D'Angelico Excel-img_3466-jpg

1959 D'Angelico Excel-img_3469-jpg

1959 D'Angelico Excel-img_3472-jpg

1959 D'Angelico Excel-img_3476-jpg

1959 D'Angelico Excel-img_3480-jpg

User Info Menu

My guard... terrible to make.... but came out okay....

1959 D'Angelico Excel-img_3487-jpg

1959 D'Angelico Excel-img_3486-jpg

1959 D'Angelico Excel-img_3489-jpg

User Info Menu

Wow! What a cool guitar. Frank, you have a rare example of A D'Angelico L-5CES. I will bet that very few were made. Your guard looks great. Congrats on adding a truly rare and special guitar to your already fine collection.

User Info Menu

Absolutely stunning in every way. Though I am a floating pickup kind of guy I sure wouldn't kick that out of my office...
    Or as my cigar bb buddies would say: Gee, I never had me one of those, are they any good" - the ultimate mooch attempt... Kudos !!

Big

User Info Menu

Man that's really nice ! It's no surprise to me at all the original owner was Italian. I believe JD'A did things for them that he wouldn't for others. And it's good you know his name too !! Now his name and guitar are in good hands - yours !
    And that's better than a good job on that p/g too.

Congrats !!

User Info Menu

Nice work on the PG! An absolutely gorgeous instrument. Congratulations, and play it in good health!
    Last edited by citizenk74; 09-24-2017 at 02:48 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Wow! You don't see something like that every day. My goodness. Very cool.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

That is a wonderful looking guitar!!!!!. Great job on the pickguard !!!!! Is that a standard treatment on the back of the headstock I love the look of the odd shaped decending size inlays?

Will

User Info Menu

Outstanding instrument ! Congrats Frank.
    I love the inlays on the back of the headstock. These are details that mean a lot to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Outstanding instrument ! Congrats Frank.
    I love the inlays on the back of the headstock. These are details that mean a lot to me.
    Interesting that you both see that detail ! I have seen these inlays on other DA's, too. But I doubt it is a 'standard' feature
    Last edited by fws6; 09-25-2017 at 03:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Congratulations, i'm sure you are very happy with it. (I could only dream of a guitar like this)

User Info Menu

Interesting from your description - I didn’t know he made anything like that. The image attachments are showing up broken to me but it might be a problem on my end. I’ll check back later - I really want to see it! There was a thumbnail that showed up of the back and just from that it looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Lovely guitar Frank...
    Last edited by AGM; 09-25-2017 at 05:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    It's no surprise to me at all the original owner was Italian. I believe JD'A did things for them that he wouldn't for others.
    What exactly do you mean by that? I don't understand.

Care to explain?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak

Care to explain?
    John DA (and Jimmy Daquisto) was of Italian descent, as were much of his customers. A lot of jazz guitar players in the New York scene were american- italian.
    Last edited by fws6; 09-25-2017 at 12:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Holy S@#t!, I mean holy cow!, I mean holy grail!

User Info Menu

Care to explain?
    I hear you Pepe. I have never heard that John D'Angelico gave special preference to customers of Italian origin. Two of his best Customers were Mel Bay and Johnny Smith, both of whom got very special treatment and neither were Italian.

User Info Menu

Big congratulations, Frank. What a gem. Wow!!

User Info Menu

Care to explain?
    Sure - - I believe John D'A would have always had a soft spot in his heart for an Italian player. It just goes with the nationality. Growing up, my best pal was Italian and his Dad was from the old country. I also worked for an old school 'paisan', and they treated me like family, always said they forgave me for being Irish.
    I just have this picture of me, going to see John to have him build me a guitar, and getting turned down, 'cause he's too busy or something. Then, I head over there again, this time taking my buddy from the old neighborhood who speaks to John in Italian. All of a sudden I'm on the build list, and John says to me " Why didn't you tell me you knew Anthony ? "
    Just part of my idea of how it may have gone...no basis in fact, just my idea of the D'A mystique, and their magic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I hear you Pepe. I have never heard that John D'Angelico gave special preference to customers of Italian origin. Two of his best Customers were Mel Bay and Johnny Smith, both of whom got very special treatment and neither were Italian.
    Oh, I'm sure JD treated them all great, I just meant it'd be a different sales process with a 'paisan'. I could see John maybe speaking Italian with the guy, then, as Italians are want to do, find out if they're related, how's the family. etc etc.

It'd be a kick to watch.

User Info Menu

His shop was in Little Italy, so John D' was known as a neighborhood luthier.
    My father lived on Elizabeth St. in the 30s, and he used to hang out at John D'A's shop, along with his best friend Duke, who was the guy responsible for all those beautiful inlays and the designs on the headstock.

Tony Gattuso was well known in his day, so he probably did get preferential treatment, but if a guy was a schmuck, both John and Jimmy reportedly would NOT give them preferential treatment, regardless of where his family came from.

Don't be a schmuck.