The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

A fellow showed up at a rehearsal with a Tech21 Fly Rig in front of some sort of powered PA speaker. It sounded great. I didn't catch the name of the speaker.

Is anyone familiar with this sort of thing? What sort of speaker options are there out there? This fellow was particularly happy with the portability.

Any thoughts? Advice?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have used an Alto TS110a powered speaker with good results. It's not excessively hi-fi which can happen with FRFR speakers. You need to put a line-level signal into it, though, to get enough gain to be heard.

Good reviews, but I don't understand what you mean by line level. Needs a preamp to get the guitar signal up to line level? Would the Fly Rig do that?
    Last edited by Bach5G; 09-21-2017 at 02:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    A fellow showed up at a rehearsal with a Tech21 Fly Rig in front of some sort of powered PA speaker. It sounded great. I didn't catch the name of the speaker.

Is anyone familiar with this sort of thing? What sort of speaker options are there out there? This fellow was particularly happy with the portability.

Any thoughts? Advice?
    FR12 - Speakers

Q12 Active Monitor - Speakers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I use two XiTone FRFR powered speakers. They're great. They're wedges.

User Info Menu

FRFR rigs might be the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Bose L1 systems, especially the Compact, are great for that as well, with any preamp of your choice, or a pedal board. They have a built-in preamp, but it's very hi-fi, so can sound clinical without some processing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Toddep
    FRFR rigs might be the future
    It would be great if they could get the weight down a bit.

User Info Menu

Any thoughts? Advice?
    What do you mean by "FRFR" ? Is this a stereo setup with two powered speakers?

User Info Menu

I have two Mambo PA cabs - they're incredible! Combo-shaped, small, light, not beamy at all, and accept guitar level. Perfect!

(My rig is a Mambo fender pedal or a Polytone in a pedal plus a Zoom G3n for some fx and a Atomic Amplifire for other fx and impulse responses. Sometimes I go trough the mixer, others direct to the Mambos).

User Info Menu

Rig is 4 FRFR speakers, one pedal (Lehle amp switcher), Axe FX2 and Kemper Profiler. Axe FX2 can run two different amps so total possibility is three separate amp soundings from 4 speakers.

quad sound output, simple rig to set up and break down, lots of effects processing without the use of any pedals, infinite possibilities of sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Naquat
    What do you mean by "FRFR" ? Is this a stereo setup with two powered speakers?
    Full Range, Flat Respone. Generally used to amplify the output of a modeller or other tone generator without itself colouring the sound. A PA type powered speaker, not necessarily in pairs or in stereo. Popular makes are Yamaha, Mackie, Alto, QSC, JBL, RCF, EV.
    Last edited by bleakanddivine; 09-21-2017 at 02:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Bleak...

I haven't seen the term used that way. I have a pair of RCF 310A's as use for FOH with a subwoofer. They sound great and even have a bass boost to use at low volume.

User Info Menu

This has been a trend since the '90s when rack gear going into flat response amps/speakers became a thing. I was in a band in which the second lead guitarist had this kind of rig. He could make any sound. All sounds had exactly the same volume, though, because of the compression of the rack gear.

Today, however, folks are just piping a preamp (usually a stompbox) into a FRFR speaker box--frequently a wedge speaker. It's an easy load/unload deal. Sounds fine. If there's a house PA, line out to that, too, and the FRFR becomes your monitor.

User Info Menu

.The only amp i have left is a polytone. Ive used fractal audio stuff since 09. i currently use an Ax8 with a pair RCF nx10-sma's for louder rock/variety gigs. I also have a pair of FBT Verve 8 wedges that sound great for jazz. dont go too cheap with FRFR speakers..ive done that and sold them to buy better speakers.

User Info Menu

The fly rig is an evolution of the tech 21 sansamp series. It is a basic good guitar preamp, with effects and speaker simulation. You can use it with any full range speaker, or plug direct to console, or plug to a guitar amp or guitar power amp. It s a great and extremely convenient piece of gear, completely giggable.

User Info Menu

Perhaps this will be helpful to somebody.

I bought an Alto 110 with the intention to go into a Boss ME80 and then into the Alto.

According to the specs, this should have worked.

What happened was this:

In order to get decent volume I had to turn the Alto volume knob to around 3 o'clock. But with that much gain, the Alto generated what felt like howling bass. It was an unusable sound.

In researching it further, I learned that the ME80 generates the level of signal expected by a guitar amp (-10db iirc) whereas the Alto sounds better with a line level signal of +4 or maybe +10. (There seem to be two definitions of "line level", one for home users and one for pros, if I understand it.

The ME80 has a PA/phones output which also wasn't strong enough.

The Alto has a mic preamp, which can boost a low level signal, but I thought it sounded terrible that way.

Others report excellent results with the Alto, but, from what I gather, they were driving it with a stronger signal, e.g. from a Kemper.

I wouldn't swear that I understood the electronics well, but I would strongly recommend getting a return privilege just in case.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    .The only amp i have left is a polytone. Ive used fractal audio stuff since 09. i currently use an Ax8 with a pair RCF nx10-sma's for louder rock/variety gigs. I also have a pair of FBT Verve 8 wedges that sound great for jazz. dont go too cheap with FRFR speakers..ive done that and sold them to buy better speakers.
    :-) I own WAY too many amps and PA systems. However, the only amp I am using anymore is one Polytone. It remains the perfect amplifier for both gigging and playing around the house. It actually does it all--from jazz to blues to rock to country. AND, it's portable.

User Info Menu

Good reviews, but I don't understand what you mean by line level. Needs a preamp to get the guitar signal up to line level? Would the Fly Rig do that?
    I have a standard SansAmp Para Driver DI and it pushes a hot enough signal to work well with the Alto; I have gigged a few times with this setup. I also have a Zoom MS100bt multi-effects pedal that has a hot enough signal to work with the Alto. That one sounds a bit better to me but that's because it has reverb, amp models, speaker modeling, etc.

I would think that the Fly Rig would work, and you've heard it work, but there are no technical specs that I found on the Tech21 web site about this product. Gotta be out there somewhere. You're looking for +4 dB or hotter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    It would be great if they could get the weight down a bit.
    See post 4

User Info Menu

IIRC a year or 2 ago Quilter was soliciting input from modeler users, I'd love to see what small, lightweight modeler specific rig Quilter could come up with.

I've had the Axe and Kemper in the past with Atomic CLRs, nice system but the CLRs were big and heavy.

Is Quilter associated with QSC?

User Info Menu

Is Quilter associated with QSC?
    Patrick Quilter is the founder of both companies.

User Info Menu

i use a small 1x12 cab(15x15x10) with an Eminence Beta12cx FRFR speaker, and a Quilter microblock 45, amazing tone, super lightweight
    Last edited by locorogue; 11-17-2017 at 03:51 AM.