The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 130

User Info Menu

The string spacing at the bridge is 3/16 narrower than the spacing on ALL my other guitars. There is an ample amount of space on the neck and of course there is a 1-3/4" nut.
    I am kind of critical about this kind of stuff mainly because I am not capable of adapting to different guitars so easily. I can get use to this string spacing but when I go play all my other guitars, I won't be able to play them. String spacing is important to me.
    The intonation on this guitar is dead nuts accurate, anywhere on the neck.
    It tunes up sooo easily. These Grover tuners have totally restored my faith in Grover tuners. The energy in this guitar generates notes that lock into the Snark on the headstock.
    Once dialed in, this guitar will probably be a go to axe. The neck is very similar to my GJS, but I kinda favor the sound of this guitar. And those stupidly expensive worthless Kluson Sealfast tuners make tuning the GJS an adventure to say the least. It's gonna be fun bouncing back and forth. Then the 165 (god I love that guitar) will feel like a ukulele to me.

2b, I will call Ronaldo on Monday. When I see him we always talk about Patrick. I'm afraid to call because I haven't called him for a couple of months. I hope he is ok..

Thanks guys.
    Joe D

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    The string spacing at the bridge is 3/16 narrower than the spacing on ALL my other guitars. There is an ample amount of space on the neck and of course there is a 1-3/4" nut.
    I am kind of critical about this kind of stuff mainly because I am not capable of adapting to different guitars so easily. I can get use to this string spacing but when I go play all my other guitars, I won't be able to play them. String spacing is important to me.
    It tunes up sooo easily. These Grover tuners have totally restored my faith in Grover tuners. The energy in this guitar generates notes that lock into the Snark on the headstock.
    Once dialed in, this guitar will probably be a go to axe. The neck is very similar to my GJS, but I kinda favor the sound of this guitar. And those stupidly expensive worthless Kluson Sealfast tuners make tuning the GJS an adventure to say the least. It's gonna be fun bouncing back and forth. Then the 165 (god I love that guitar) will feel like a ukulele to me.

2b, I will call Ronaldo on Monday. When I see him we always talk about Patrick. I'm afraid to call because I haven't called him for a couple of months. I hope he is ok..

Thanks guys.
    Joe D
    Heritage wasn't known for their bridges. In fact, many will say that was another of their weaknesses. So install a bridge to your liking. Patrick turned me on to Bill Gagnon's African Blackwood bridges...they're well documented by him in the archives.

Nice having so many superb go-to options! But one thing about that HJS 18, they got right...anyone with ears perks up and says: What's that!?

User Info Menu

Thanks guys.
    Joe D
    yes..bridge spacing matters to the ultimate degree!!

as i wrote ^ ...ultimate tweaking to the players demands is key...can't play it right, if the guitar isn't

bridge string spacing is a players detail..to many it won't matter..to others,... it's eveything

as i always say...the further you get along onto this...the more
    even the slightest tweak...matters!!

get that spacing comfy Joe D!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-25-2017 at 11:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Downloaded the MP3 of this and listening to it looped while surfing craigslist. Sounds really good through a stereo system with audiophile tube amps and Martin Logan Electrostats.

Hope the next video is released before I have to replace tubes - no rush

oh, and did I say for the goatee?

User Info Menu

Big blonde great big sound. Very nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Downloaded the MP3 of this and listening to it looped while surfing craigslist. Sounds really good through a stereo system with audiophile tube amps and Martin Logan
    Hope the next video is released before I have to replace tubes - no rush
    oh, and did I say for the goatee?
    Thanks 2b.
    Today HJS gets a bridge recut. I hope it comes out good. The guitar deserves nothing less. I still have get the static issue worked out. It’s weird because it is intermittent.

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Big blonde great big sound. Very nice!
    Thanks buddy.

User Info Menu

Buy a black Schaller or Gotoh tun-o-matic bridge and have that notched too while you are at it. Nice to have 2 options.
    Stay away from the ABR type with the retaining wire.

User Info Menu

I listened on audiophile gear today. The HJS18 has a big, elegant sound, for sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I listened on audiophile gear today. The HJS18 has a big, elegant sound, for sure.
    Hand wired - Old school sound!

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 09-30-2017 at 05:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Funny thing happened tonight.. After I took it into the shop, i was very discouraged with the HJS. So I took out the GJS and played for hours. Not only is that the greatest guitar I’ve ever played, but I think it set my playing straight. Because after that, I played the HJS and viola, my playing was real good on the HJS.
    It’s amazing how different these guitars are. How they play, How they react and how they sound. And especially, how they affect me.
    The HJS still needs work. But the sound of the guitar keeps it in the lineup.
    When you have a lot of guitars, they can’t all be the same. If they were, then why bother?
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Funny thing happened tonight.. After I took it into the shop, i was very discouraged with the HJS. So I took out the GJS and played for hours. Not only is that the greatest guitar I’ve ever played, but I think it set my playing straight. Because after that, I played the HJS and viola, my playing was real good on the HJS.
    It’s amazing how different these guitars are. How they play, How they react and how they sound. And especially, how they affect me.
    When you have a lot of guitars, they can’t all be the same. If they were, then why bother?
    Joe D
    You've assembled one of the finest lineup's on this forum JD! What else "needs work" to dial in the HJS?

And MIKEY, what did you do to that HJS? Just teasin'

User Info Menu

2b, the one that is missing? Your L4CES..
    Mikey took great care of the HJS. Trust me. A nut, a bridge and some electronics work is all that needs to get done.
    JD

User Info Menu

Joe D
    FWIW I have 3 what I consider to be great guitars. I rotate each a week or so of play time. They each sound different play different. They each have my interpretation of the perfect jazz guitar. At any given time I might tell you that any one of the 3 is the best guitar I own. I think the rotating keeps my ear very interested in each, never playing one to the point of familiar boredom. I look forward to the next one up.
    Your millage may vary but this works for me.

User Info Menu

2b,

That'll get 'er done.

GT

User Info Menu

Yeah this is probably me, people ask me which guitar do I regularly play the most, it's that old '39 L5P... that and now of my Pattersons. The L5 is so easy to play and it's been abused enough I don't worry about dinging it.

Joe got that guitar just the way I got it. All I ever did was lower the action, the guitar had been to Pete Moreno's briefly before Marty sold it to me so Pete did all he could. I'm surprised that the bridge has those gaps considering what attention Heritage put into making it special for Don Dean...

Each person has unique demands and must haves on a guitar, I gave a kid I know my sharp cut Super Eagle - he's pals with George Benson and so when Benson was in Atlanta back in August the kid went to visit him at his hotel suite and took the Super Eagle so they could swap stories and licks as they're accustomed to. Now the kid had taken the Super Eagle to his tech and had it all tweaked and adjusted, But in GB's hands it was obvious it needed some adjustments. GB really puts a guitar through it's paces. Your mileage may vary.

FWIW I have 3 what I consider to be great guitars. I rotate each a week or so of play time. They each sound different play different. They each have my interpretation of the perfect jazz guitar. At any given time I might tell you that any one of the 3 is the best guitar I own. I think the rotating keeps my ear very interested in each, never playing one to the point of familiar boredom. I look forward to the next one up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Yeah this is probably me, people ask me which guitar do I regularly play the most, it's that old '39 L5P... that and now of my Pattersons. The L5 is so easy to play and it's been abused enough I don't worry about dinging it.

Joe got that guitar just the way I got it. All I ever did was lower the action, the guitar had been to Pete Moreno's briefly before Marty sold it to me so Pete did all he could. I'm surprised that the bridge has those gaps considering what attention Heritage put into making it special for Don Dean...

Each person has unique demands and must haves on a guitar, I gave a kid I know my sharp cut Super Eagle - he's pals with George Benson and so when Benson was in Atlanta back in August the kid went to visit him at his hotel suite and took the Super Eagle so they could swap stories and licks as they're accustomed to. Now the kid had taken the Super Eagle to his tech and had it all tweaked and adjusted, But in GB's hands it was obvious it needed some adjustments. GB really puts a guitar through it's paces. Your mileage may vary.
    Mikey, you sent me that Guitar in absolute mint condition. My guess is Don never really played it. We are talking about a guy who had over 200 mind-blowingly hi-end guitars. There were a few very small pick scratches on the bridge side of the pickguard. The back looked like it just left Heritage brand new 2 weeks ago. Its a 21 year old guitar! With such a thin top, if he took this guitar out of the house, there would have been top cracks or checks. There is nothing. I think he bought it, played it a couple of times and his wife got sick and he was a man's man for the rest of his days taking care of her. Just a hunch.

I admit it. I am stupidly critical of guitars. In particular, Ronaldo saw the action that I use and he told me I was 2/64ths lower than spec. But that's the way I like em. All my other guitars can handle that. Now this one can too.
    You would NEVER send someone a dog. You don't have it in you. You are one of the best dudes out there. And you are not a pushover either. I know that.

Joe D

SkiBoy, Great post man. I am learning exactly what you are saying. I told Vinny Saturday, if you have a bunch of guitars and they are all the same, then why bother. I want them to differ some. But one thing is mandatory on all of the them. I have to be able to set them up, so I could play them the way I expect myself to play. If I suck on a guitar, I will move on from it.
    The 3 others that I have, Boo-boo is the best player ever. The 165 is the best player ever and it looks and sounds amazing. And my GJS is the best guitar I've ever played period. Now the 4th, the HJS18 is by far the best sounding guitar I've ever had and now its close to one of the best players ever..
    See what I mean.. I am just like you. There can be more than just one best, when it comes to guitars anyway..

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,
    Still haven't gotten the grounding issue fixed but I wanted to post a new video that shows the big sound of the Heritage Johnny Smith 18" versus the Gibson ES165.

The song is "Old Folks".

HJS18

Gibson ES165

Joe D

User Info Menu

One of my favorite songs brilliantly played my friend.

User Info Menu

Two great guitar sounds. Proof positive that one guitar is simply not enough!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Agreed--two different voices, both sound great!

User Info Menu

Joe, my friend, both guitars sound superb, another very nice rendition , congratulations
    your playing constantly improves

User Info Menu

Joe,
    Beautiful playing as usual and a tough song to keep things flowing. For me - I loved the tone of the 165 - and you just appear more comfortable with that instrument. I think the 165 is a keeper forever- its just a perfect fit for YOU.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

nice...heritage has full spectrum clarity...165 has classic mids jazz tone...

as per grounding issues, have you tried new guitar cable?...tho heritage sounds like the ground wire to tailpiece might not be making correct contact (or) wired to the pot wrong

great playing per usual tho!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 10-21-2017 at 05:28 PM. Reason: ad-

User Info Menu

Hey, Joe, where you goin with that axe in your hands? I can't believe I missed this thread. I've now read every post. Lovely guitar, and in the right hands, for sure. Beautiful playing, as ever, Joe. I'd be fully sated with either the Heritage or the Gibson, but if I HAD to pull one out of a fire, it would be the Gibson, just purely based on those two videos. But they are extremely close. Can we hear them acoustically, Joe?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    One of my favorite songs brilliantly played my friend.
    Thank you Vinny. I appreciate it bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    2 ain’t even close to enough. Thank you Marco.

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    Agreed--two different voices, both sound great!
    thanks Helios!

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Joe, my friend, both guitars sound superb, another very nice rendition , congratulations
    your playing constantly improves
    Thank you Alan. The guitars sound and play very differently.
    Getting to the Big Heritage has set my playing back some and I’m not sure why. But, thank you brother.
    Last edited by Max405; 10-21-2017 at 05:23 PM.