The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

Hi Folks, as a long time guitar player but relatively new to playing jazz ( abt 1 yr) I am having fun, making progress and decided I am ready and want to take that giant step to get my first archtop. With a budget under 2k, (closer to 1.5 K max would be more comfortable) I have pretty much narrowed my choice down to 2 guitars, the D’Angelico EXL-1 and the D’Angelico Excel 59.
    A big factor in looking at these two guitars is a desire to have a “big body” guitar, ie 17inch by 3 deep to be able to play it acoustically with good sound/volume around the house and practicing as well as being able to plug in. I have played some thinner, smaller body guitars and do not like the fact that I have to "plug them in" to be able to play and hear them.
    The Ex 59 is only a couple hundred more expensive than the EXL-1 and has 2 P-90 pickups while the EXL-1 hasone floating humbucker pickup. Anythoughts or recommendations for me to think about regarding either of these 2 guitars? Any first hand experience playing either one would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance!

ps, here is a nice guitar a friend loaned me to play but it had to be plugged in to play it.

Last edited by Bluegrass Bill Ward; 08-06-2017 at 12:30 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I tried a whole bunch of D'Angelicos recently including some EXL-1, 59, DH and SS models. They were all really different and I ended up buying an SS (I already have a couple of full size archtops) but out of the hollow bodies I thought the EXL-1's had the best balance,sound and feel. Nice looking guitars too. They only had one 59 which was heavier and not my cup of tea.
    But I stress, they werent remotely the same in sound and feel - so whatever you get, play it first.
    While I was there I tried one of the Indonesian made DA Premier EXL-1 models which played as well as any of them - though not as strong acoustically or as well finished , it was half the price.

User Info Menu

Thanks very much for this information. From my research and what is on YouTube the EXL-1 sounds terrific both acoustically and plugged in and has lots of great reviews. If the EX 59 is a lot heavier that would probably rule I out for me as well. The EXL-1 is where I am definitely leaning but I will definitely play it before making a final decision. Thanks again!

User Info Menu

I wouldnt say the EX 59 is a lot heavier , but there was a weight difference - but having said that the cheaper Premier EXL-1 was lighter than the Excel EXL-1 model too.
    I was keener on the EXL -1 because I'm not a huge P90 fan - although I know plenty of Jazz nuts who are.

All the best!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass Bill Ward
    Hi Folks, as a long time guitar player but relatively new to playing jazz ( abt 1 yr) I am having fun, making progress and decided I am ready and want to take that giant step to get my first archtop. With a budget under 2k, (closer to 1.5 K max would be more comfortable) I have pretty much narrowed my choice down to 2 guitars, the D’Angelico EXL-1 and the D’Angelico Excel 59.
    A big factor in looking at these two guitars is a desire to have a “big body” guitar, ie 17inch by 3 deep to be able to play it acoustically with good sound/volume around the house and practicing as well as being able to plug in. I have played some thinner, smaller body guitars and do not like the fact that I have to "plug them in" to be able to play and hear them.
    The Ex 59 is only a couple hundred more expensive than the EXL-1 and has 2 P-90 pickups while the EXL-1 hasone floating humbucker pickup. Anythoughts or recommendations for me to think about regarding either of these 2 guitars? Any first hand experience playing either one would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance!

ps, here is a nice guitar a friend loaned me to play but it had to be plugged in to play it.

FYI, the EXL-1 has a fairly thick laminated top, and doesn't have much of an acoustic sound. It'll be fine for quiet unplugged practicing (and has an excellent electric sound), but is not loud enough for playing along with other legit acoustic instruments. The 59, is even quieter unplugged. If you truly want a functional acoustic instrument, there are better choices. There's a long thread here on budget acoustic archtops that provides a lot of info on this subject.

John

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by John A.; 08-07-2017 at 03:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    FYI, has a fairly thick laminated top, and doesn't have much of an acoustic sound. It'll be fine for quiet unplugged practicing (and has an excellent electric sound), but is not loud enough for playing along with other legit acoustic instruments. The 59, is even quieter unplugged. If you truly want a functional acoustic instrument, there are better choices. There's a long thread here on budget acoustic archtops that provides a lot of info on this subject.

John

Hi John, thanks for that information on how both guitars do unplugged and also the tip on the thread on Budget Acoustic Archtops. I will definitely look for that. Bill

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    FYI, has a fairly thick laminated top, and doesn't have much of an acoustic sound. It'll be fine for quiet unplugged practicing (and has an excellent electric sound), but is not loud enough for playing along with other legit acoustic instruments. The 59, is even quieter unplugged. If you truly want a functional acoustic instrument, there are better choices. There's a long thread here on budget acoustic archtops that provides a lot of info on this subject.

John

Thanks John for this tip. I did find that thread and Loar Guitars were mentioned a number of times as an archtop with good "acoustic punch". I went to their site and found a model that interested me the LH 309 which has a single P90 pick up.

The Loar - Archtop Acoustic LH-309-VS

I then went to YouTube and listened to some reviews and music played on it. Most of the playing was plugged in which sounded great. Does anybody out there have one of these or experience playing one?

Thanks in advance for any comments! Bill

User Info Menu

Just a word that you may need to favour an approach here.

I had an option to buy a custom made archtop with a floating pickup which sounded beautiful acoustically but couldnt be played plugged in with a drumkit in the same room. I actually used it to record an album with a singer with a mic on ithe guitar as well as the amp sound. But I had to sit in the control room and play because it couldnt be used with drums without taking off.

The thinner the top, the more acoustic/and volatile it becomes. I eventually got the luthier who made the first guitar to make me one that still had a solid top , pickup mounted on the top and slightly thicker. This guitar has a nice acoustic tone, is still a little sensitive to room noise but is a great jazz gigging guitar for a trio or small group provided there isnt too much foldback signal or onstage ambience.- and I can dampen the strings at the nut if need be when it gets that way.

But the point is I had to get someone to make one for me with that balance. It may take you awhile to find one that performs both acoustically and plugged in without any issues straight off the shelf.

User Info Menu

I have an EXL-1 and I love it. I did replace the pickup with a Benedetto. This guitar has a great old school Jazz sound (think Bucky Pizzarelli). It sounds great acoustically or plugged in. If I had to you one downside to this guitar, it is that it has one sound.
    I have tried the Ex-59. I feel like this guitar may be more versatile than the EXL-1 with the 2 pickups however I thought that it sounded more Rockabilly than strictly jazz.
    I also own a EXL-2DH in which I replaced the pickups with a pair of Gibson Classic 57 humbuckers. It is a great sounding guitar (think Kenny Burrell).
    I hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

+1 on the EXL 1. They are very nice guitars with good projection and tone for a laminate. They are very well made and mine plays as well as any high end archtop I have ever played. My EXL 1 is my "go to" guitar around the house. I play it every day. They are a great value IMO.

User Info Menu

I have a D'Angelico EXL-1 and EX-59 and agree that the EXL-1 is more suited for acoustic use, although the EX-59 has a surprisingly good sound acoustically especially considering it is an all maple body. I replaced the pickup on the EXL-1 with a Guild reissue DeArmond 1100 as I don't like the stock Kent Armstrong "Jazzy Joe" pickups. By the way, I looked at Eastman's top of the line archtop descriptions and they use the same pickup, a good explanation of why so many people replace the pickups. However, another D'Angelico guitar that has not been mentioned here uses the same pickup and sounds good. You might consider the D'Angelico Style B if a 24.5" scale and non cutaway body don't rule it out. It has a mellower tone than the EXL-1 acoustically; more subtle. In comparison, the EXL-1 seems harsher and maybe a bit louder. The Style B has smaller F-holes and a slightly smaller upper bout and the top seems thinner when comparing the thickness seen inside the F-holes. which may contribute to the difference in tone. When I play acoustically, I use the Style B.

User Info Menu

Wow, Many thanks to all who posted their experience and thoughts on these guitars! This information has been very helpful. I realize what I am after is asking a lot, especially with my budget limitations. I wish I could sit down somewhere with a few days to spend playing a number of these different guitars both acoustically and plugged in. Unfortunately there is really no place around here (Sacramento, CA) with those guitars available where I can do that. I think I know where I am going now, with the EXL-1 for my first archtop. Based on the very positive comments from Mark M and Doublea A I think I am going to be very happy with it. I will continue to look for opportunities to play others and upgrade when I see that possible. Thanks Guys!

Bill

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I have an EXL-1 and I love it. I did replace the pickup with a Benedetto. This guitar has a great old school Jazz sound (think Bucky Pizzarelli). It sounds great acoustically or plugged in. If I had to you one downside to this guitar, it is that it has one sound.
    I have tried the Ex-59. I feel like this guitar may be more versatile than the EXL-1 with the 2 pickups however I thought that it sounded more Rockabilly than strictly jazz.
    I also own a EXL-2DH in which I replaced the pickups with a pair of Gibson Classic 57 humbuckers. It is a great sounding guitar (think Kenny Burrell).
    I hope that helps.

Thanks for the very positive report on this guitar and what you decided to do regarding changing the pickup. If you can, describe what did the "Benedetto" pickup do regarding the sound for you? Love Bucky Pizzarelli's Sound! I know very little/nothing about pickups What kind of cost was associated with this change? Many thanks!

Bill

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrregent
    I have a D'Angelico EXL-1 and EX-59 and agree that the EXL-1 is more suited for acoustic use, although the EX-59 has a surprisingly good sound acoustically especially considering it is an all maple body. I replaced the pickup on the EXL-1 with a Guild reissue DeArmond 1100 as I don't like the stock Kent Armstrong "Jazzy Joe" pickups. By the way, I looked at Eastman's top of the line archtop descriptions and they use the same pickup, a good explanation of why so many people replace the pickups. However, another D'Angelico guitar that has not been mentioned here uses the same pickup and sounds good. You might consider the D'Angelico Style B if a 24.5" scale and non cutaway body don't rule it out. It has a mellower tone than the EXL-1 acoustically; more subtle. In comparison, the EXL-1 seems harsher and maybe a bit louder. The Style B has smaller F-holes and a slightly smaller upper bout and the top seems thinner when comparing the thickness seen inside the F-holes. which may contribute to the difference in tone. When I play acoustically, I use the Style B.
    Thanks for this additional information. It seems changing the pickup on the EXL-1 may be a common modification for this guitar. Regarding the style B, I ran across this guitar a little in my research but there is not nearly as much information about it as the EXL-1. In looking at used guitar inventory I have seen some EXL-1's But no Style B's. Thanks again for sharing your experience!

Bill

User Info Menu

Strings for the EXL-1 <g>! With my background of guitar playing, bluegrass, Country, Swing, folk, etc. playing a Martin D-18 I know that Strings used on an archtop for Jazz are a totally different and subjective subject. I would love to hear what you all use or would recommend, especially for the EXL-1. Thanks again!

Bill

User Info Menu

Mine is still strung with the set that was on it when I bought it used a couple months ago. They appear to be TI 12's to me, and they seem like the perfect choice.

User Info Menu

By TI 12's, I meant flatwound Thomastik-Infield 12's (perhaps the TI George Benson strings, but I can't say for sure).

User Info Menu

Thanks for the very positive report on this guitar and what you decided to do regarding changing the pickup. If you can, describe what did the "Benedetto" pickup do regarding the sound for you? Love Bucky Pizzarelli's Sound! I know very little/nothing about pickups What kind of cost was associated with this change? Many thanks!

Bill
    I bought the Benedetto directly from the website. I installed it myself. I sold the original Kent Armstrong pickup on eBay. So I think that the additional cost was no more than $25.

If you can hang tight for a few days. I can post a video on Friday featuring this guitar.

User Info Menu

I'd suggest something different: A Peerless Monarch 17". I have one and it's fabulous. 17" lower bout, 3" deep body. Solid wood (press formed). Good sound, and the factory pickup is stronger than the average floater. You can also get it with a routed in pickup, and I have heard nothing bad about that model.

In fact, I don't think I've heard anything bad about the Peerless guitars at all. They offer a nice range of splendid medium budget instruments that will satisfy most players.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I bought the Benedetto directly from the website. I installed it myself. I sold the original Kent Armstrong pickup on eBay. So I think that the additional cost was no more than $25.

If you can hang tight for a few days. I can post a video on Friday featuring this guitar.

Thanks for the info, would love to hear your EXL-1, look forward to it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'd suggest something different: A Peerless Monarch 17". I have one and it's fabulous. 17" lower bout, 3" deep body. Solid wood (press formed). Good sound, and the factory pickup is stronger than the average floater. You can also get it with a routed in pickup, and I have heard nothing bad about that model.

In fact, I don't think I've heard anything bad about the Peerless guitars at all. They offer a nice range of splendid medium budget instruments that will satisfy most players.
    Thanks for the suggestion to consider the Peerless guitar, I have heard good things about them from some friends of mine. I am very close to pulling the trigger on the EXL-1 but will take a look to see what I can find out about them and if there is any place I can find to try one!

User Info Menu

Strings for the EXL-1 <g>! With my background of guitar playing, bluegrass, Country, Swing, folk, etc. playing a Martin D-18 I know that Strings used on an archtop for Jazz are a totally different and subjective subject. I would love to hear what you all use or would recommend, especially for the EXL-1. Thanks again!

Bill
    Flat wounds can be a little dull if you are looking to get a resonant acoustic sound from the archtop - I love flat wounds for 'plugged in' though - have been D'Addario chrome user for 30 years.
    I did however get a set of the new D'Angelico Electrozincs with my Excel SS (brilliant guitar btw) - I really like them. They are old school round wound, maybe a little rougher to the touch than Elixirs for instance , but they have an instant body and mellowness to them that a lot of round wound strings only get when they start to lose their intonation! Im keen to try the 12-52 gauge on my archtop.

User Info Menu

My "new" (actually used) archtop guitar is on the way! After some weeks of research, including playing some models, listening to demos on YouTube and considering advice from experienced players including those on this forum this is the guitar I settled on. This is a basic rhythm demo of it played acoustically with no amp. My number one criteria (besides not costing an arm and leg!) was for it to sound good acoustically as well as with an amp. Not an easy combination I learned in an archtop. From my research this guitar meets my criteria as good as any other I looked at. I purchased one used from Guitar Centers used inventory for a fair price, I have a 45 day period to try the guitar and if not totally happy with it I can return it for a full refund less the shipping cost. I should have it in my hands early nest week! Can you tell I'm excited!

To check out the D'Angelico EXL-1 i recorded some clips in different styles and playing techniques. Here you can hear the acoustic sound of this guitar (no p...
    youtube.com
    Last edited by Bluegrass Bill Ward; 08-11-2017 at 02:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Regarding P 90s - I think for versatility you are far better off having regular full Humbuckers with a Parallel Push Pull switch to get a clearer thinner sound.

My thinking is unless you have a few Guitars - don't pigeonhole yourself into a bright thinner sound of P90s which you are going to roll back the Tone Control anyway.

P 90's generally have a bright Rockabilly kind of sound especially on Modern Guitars.

I am sure there are examples of Classic Era Tones on P90s with Famous Jazzers using them - but on bigger body deeper Guitars..so I am curious about the
    D'Angelico's too ...but a warning on P90s.

For example a 335 barely gets a Jazz Tone IMO ...put P90s on one and even further away from Trad.Jazz tone.

ES 137 actually sounds much closer to a Trad Jazz Tone IMO..but with P90s ...bye bye to the Trad Jazz Tones.

* I don't even Play Trad Jazz but I can hear very well the Tones.
    Unless you love P90s they are a specialty IMO.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 08-16-2017 at 10:11 AM.

User Info Menu

It came yesterday! My new (used) DiAngelico Exl-1 Archtop. It is gorgeous, almost new condition, smooth, easy to play. I'll be seeing my luthier in the next couple days to go over it in detail. Needs new strings, has round wounds, appear to be "thin" on the lighter strings and old. Still sounded good through my amp, fair acoustically. I think I am going to need to experiment with strings. The more I read about strings, round, half round, flat wound, yikes! My thought is don't go to light on the gage of the high E string as well, maybe 12 or 13 as a minimum for more "punch" on that end? Any more last minute recommendations on the first set of strings I should try? <g>. Thanks and now the real adventure and fun begins! Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images D'Angelico EXL-1 versus EX 59-4-new-guitar-jpg D'Angelico EXL-1 versus EX 59-1-new-exl-1-jpg