The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Has anyone run across one of these before? in love with this amp. I found it in a shop that deals in vintage gear in Seattle the other day. It is my first "vintage" piece. Not sure if all older amps sound like this but this one is going to be a keeper
    Attached Images Attached Images Guild 66J Amp-img_0755-jpg Guild 66J Amp-img_0754-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Original grill cloth... cool! If you haven't yet, check out the Guild forum, Let's Talk Guild. There are folks over there who know this amp quite well.

Thanks for the heads up ill have to check that out

User Info Menu

I've got one from '58......

It belongs to my trio of very nice sounding oddball little 10-15 watt amps circa '55-60...including a '55 Gibson GA-20, the '58 Guild 66J and a '60 Ampeg R12 Rocket.

Sounds great......a nice warm sound but responds well to some EQ pedal if I want to "Fender Blackface" it a bit.

Here 'tis....with an even older Guild.

Last edited by zizala; 07-13-2017 at 02:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zizala
    I've got one from '58......

It belongs to my trio of very nice sounding oddball little 10-15 watt amps circa '55-60...including a '55 Gibson GA-20, the '58 Guild 66J and a '60 Ampeg R12 Rocket.

Sounds great......a nice warm sound but responds well to some EQ pedal if I want to "Fender Blackface" it a bit.

Here 'tis....with an even older Guild.

very cool!! like that arts and crafts oak dresser too!! hah

that guild is in the fender deluxe range...generally thought that guild shared some amp tech from ampeg..who were local nyc area amp co.

cheers

your amp is in great shape. Did you have to replace the handle? If so, where did you find a replacement. I was just going to buy one at the store where I got my amp but I guess the handle length isn't a standard size on these so Ill have to do some searching

neatomic,

What did you mean when you said the amp was in the fender deluxe range? As far as when it was built type of components used?

User Info Menu

i'd think fender dogbone leather handle..widely available..google for low price

Guild 66J Amp-155046-jpg

example-
    Fender Replacement Amplifier Handle Brown Stiched Vintage Leather | Full Compass

cheers

Dogbone style is nice id just have to make sure its 7.5" center to center so I won't have to drill holes to install it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sage
    neatomic,

What did you mean when you said the amp was in the fender deluxe range? As far as when it was built type of components used?
    similar size and tube architecture...the two 6v6 power tubes get you to around 15-20 watts...so cranked a bit will always have a bit of power tube grind/distorto...fender deluxe is probably penultimate example of that kind of 6v6 duo tube tone!

it's a cool amp...but may require some more $$$ and know how to get it optimum...new tubes, cap changes, speaker change?, 3 prong electric cord etc etc

cheers

yeah its got a 3 prong already. The shop I bought it at put new power tubes and changed the caps in it. I really enjoy the sound I'm getting from it now so id hate to go in and tinker with it especially since I'm not very knowledgeable about amps. Do you know anything along the lines of the value or price these amps usually go for. The shop did so much work and was willing to fix anything that might go wrong within these next few months although I feel I might have paid a little much for it.

User Info Menu

Dogbone style is nice id just have to make sure its 7.5" center to center so I won't have to drill holes to install it
    i'd bet zizalas ^ amp handle is a dogbone repro..hopefully he'll come back in with definitive response

cheers

The speaker is great imo original Jensen p12q

yeah the handle is the main thing I want to put on there to make it more practical for everyday use

User Info Menu

The speaker is great imo original Jensen p12q
    nice!! just make sure its up to snuff! no rips in cone and no rubbing voice coil buzz...a solid speaker is the end all of your tone!!

look at this beautiful amp you just bought as an opportunity to learn...this guitar stuff is all magic..keep digging

cheers

Sure thing. Thanks Neatomic

User Info Menu

Sage,

My handle brackets measure 7 3/8" center to center which is wider than most leather handle arrangements I've seen on other amps.
    My replacement handle is an odd longer size that came to me on some other amp and ended up in the parts drawer...it just happened to be close to the right size for the Guild and I had enough room to cut out the slots a little and keep the original bracket spacing. I wish I could tell you where to find one.
    I'll take a look to see if I have another that can be made to work...will let you know.

My amps been gone over, runs quiet and works well.....
    It had an original P12R that I set aside to replace with a P12Q, but while I was waiting for one of those to show up I put in an old Alnico Rola from a Hammond organ. That one happened to sound so nice I've never felt a need to take it out.

Its amazing how light the cabinet is......
    Last edited by zizala; 07-13-2017 at 06:44 PM.

yeah the cabinet is light I've just been tucking it under one arm when I need to move it. A handle would be nice though. Ive found a couple "custom" makers online although they are fairly expensive that might be the route I have to go if I can't pick something up locally or find one that will work

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thank you oldwoodak.....

Brookwood Leather looks like a good place to order custom sizes.
    Last edited by zizala; 07-14-2017 at 05:50 AM.

Thanks oldwoodak. I just got on there and emailed bob to get a handle made

User Info Menu

Cool. Are the rivets exposed on the inside of the amp? are you going to drill them out? Hopefully they are exposed so you could bend them back and reuse them. Otherwise try to find some old nuts and bolts that are aged. I've mixed model paint to a similar color to paint bolt heads then scuff the up to age. Any body else have tricks for this? Some google searching was not fruitful. I think digging around inside the cab for the rivets is OK you could cover it up with some tape vs. new looking bolt heads.

I think I might just keep the originals and buy some news ones just to make sure nothing comes apart while I'm lifting it. one of the guitar shops in my area should have some aged hardware

User Info Menu

I have the same amp. Guild 66J I believe it is a 1959. Is there a definitive way to tell the year? Thanks in advance.