The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

For the 11 years that I have been playing the guitar, easily 98% of the time I played unplugged on my little portable Traveler Speedster. I plugged in very rarely and for the last five years have had to steal moments when I could.

I am officially tired of playing unplugged. Now I plug in 2 or 3 times a week and play my other "real" guitars. I kind of need the gratification that comes from plugging into a good amp. Playing unplugged is no longer enough. I would go crazy if it was all that I had.

Can anyone relate to this?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I play unplugged at home, even on solidbodies, but I get the chance to play with amps at performance levels 3-4 a week away from home.

Lately I've been thinking it would good for my technique, ear, and tone if I plugged in more often at home, and have been keeping an eye out for a good little practice amp to leave set up at home.

User Info Menu

I like acoustic guitar for a lot of things. But jazz isn't one of them, for the most part, because when I am practicing lines it is how they sound through an amp that affects my phrasing. I guess it would be different if I somehow magically never had to use an amp but I can't remember the last jazz gig I had where I didn't have to use an amp for guitar so it just makes more sense to consider it part of the instrument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

At home if I'm playing a carved archtop I like to set the volume so I hear roughly half unamplified and half amplified. I'll do the same on nylon string or flat top guitars. I'll sometimes play them unamplified, but it's not as satisfying. I rarely play laminated or solid body guitars unamplified.

User Info Menu

I play around 50/50 plugged/unplugs in part because I live in an apartment and try to be considerate of my neighbors especially since I play before bed and lately started playing as soon as I get up for 15-30 or more. An idea I got from a video I was watching.

As I've mentioned in the past my teacher says to practice plugged in because playing unplugged you technique changes and I agree. Especially for chords playing plugged in I hear more and makes any right hand issues stand out more.

Now a quirk of my unplugged playing is I tend to play mainly without a pick and when plugged in I play more with a pick. Don't know what it means just an observation.
    Last edited by docbop; 05-27-2017 at 12:41 PM.

User Info Menu

I play unplugged most of the time, just because I'm too lazy to use my amp and playing an archtop means that you can still get a decent sound that way (contrary to solid bodies). But I do notice a difference in the way I play when I plug it in : I feel more inspired and my ideas tend to flow more naturally, because I like the sound better (the sound is colored differently and the reverb gives it more "presence", for lack of a better word).

User Info Menu

Yeah, I am too lazy most of the time to take off the dust cover of my PRRI, take the cable out of the drawer, plugging in, turning on, waiting 10 sec for the tubes to warmup even if the tone is much better than unplugged.
    I just love to simply extend an arm and grab the frank caster from its wall hanger and play immediately.
    Thing is the sound is still good enough for me.
    The fact that one of my favorite play time is when I stand up at 5:30AM on a weekend day while my other half still in bed is also a big factor...

User Info Menu

Yeah, I live in an apartment and my practice space is tiny. The amps I have just blow me ears out PDQ.

I mainly practice with an archtop which just only gives you so much.

I have an old micro cube that I've tweaked but that not got what I need for those amplified moments mid afternoon where I need enough interaction without intimidation and impoliteness.

So I shuffled up to my nearest musical instrument outlet and tried a Yamaha THR 10C and was really amazed by it.
    The auxiliary input worked well with iReal on me iPhone and blended well with a Telecaster. Smitten

This is a Damn fine clip for my tastes...

This is also way huge with knobs on. Twin microphones and a PA.

So when the Jazzbow coffers fill up with excess coin one of these will roll home for much smile time.

User Info Menu

Yesterday after I tweaked the truss rod on my 165, I played it acoustically. That was the 1st time I played a guitar only acoustically since I last played the DA Excel. I plug in pretty much all the time. The confluence of acoustic and electric sound to me is the best sound from a guitar. But I plug in all the time.
    JD

User Info Menu

I have 2 little kids, so plugging in is a luxury, but I still make it a point to do so every chance I get...it does change the way you play if you play guitars you'd normally electrify unplugged.

User Info Menu

AlsoRan, Does your traveler speedster produce a satisfying acoustic playing experience? I mean, a really really nice acoustic flattop or archtop can be such a joy to play unplugged. I have 3 flattops and 2 archtops each with different sonic characteristics -- the variety keeps things fresh. I'd say I practice about 90% unplugged, but I do recognize that time needs to be put in with the amp too. I mostly notice that I will play with a lighter touch when plugged in.

It's been great weather for the past couple of months in Kansas, and I've been spending many an afternoon practicing outside on my front porch. It's basically my favorite thing to do! In the winter, when I'm stuck inside I spend much more time plugged in.

Not to incite gas or anything, but perhaps you need a new guitar !

User Info Menu

I love the electric archtop sound. I have small amps in about 3 places in my house, and use a wireless connection so I can hide away the amp, sit on the stool in the kitchen, or on the sofa in the family room, and play through the amp. If I want acoustic, I play my flat-top, though I do like the acoustic archtop sound too.

User Info Menu

I do all my practicing either unplugged on a carved top guitar, or with a laminate through a ZT Lunchbox Jr. The little Jr. is a fantastic practice amp.

User Info Menu

Can relate, curse of having to play late at night because of work and family. Kind of related but I also find when I go play with people and turn the amp volume amp, takes a little bit of adjusting since even plug into amp at home, keep the volume at relatively low.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    AlsoRan, Does your traveler speedster produce a satisfying acoustic playing experience? I mean, a really really nice acoustic flattop or archtop can be such a joy to play unplugged. I have 3 flattops and 2 archtops each with different sonic characteristics -- the variety keeps things fresh. I'd say I practice about 90% unplugged, but I do recognize that time needs to be put in with the amp too. I mostly notice that I will play with a lighter touch when plugged in.

It's been great weather for the past couple of months in Kansas, and I've been spending many an afternoon practicing outside on my front porch. It's basically my favorite thing to do! In the winter, when I'm stuck inside I spend much more time plugged in.

Not to incite gas or anything, but perhaps you need a new guitar !
    Ha! Ha! (laughing)

I actually have some nice gear, like a ES-175, Flying V, Les Paul and others. (Funny, I had money when I first started playing the guitar - where has it gone...?). That little Speedster has typical solid body unplugged tone. I guess in the past, my brain would apply the effects, along with the rhythm section.

Now, I just long to hear the beauty that an amp can give. I plugged into my '65 Deluxe Reverb the other day and it was like the heaven's opened for me. I crave good tone with my musical choices and I just can't go on without hearing how my hard work sounds amplified and "touched up" with some effects. Those waves of sound can be so beautiful and captivating.

I blame a lot of this on the videos you guys put up. Ducthbopper, Max405, Mark and others just have me needing more these days - more than just that unplugged, solid-body tone that can be drowned out by a fan on a hot day...

Thanks everyone for your responses.

User Info Menu

Find yourself a Polytone BabyBrute (10" speaker). I absolutely adore mine.

User Info Menu

This topic has come up a few times, and I still say that, for me, practicing unplugged allows to to really hear my articulation without hiding behind the amplified tone, which alters the dynamic somewhat.

Good players sound expressive and compelling unplugged. Lots of modern players hide behind too much compression, distortion or effects, IMO...

User Info Menu

not me. i play as loud as i can, as often as i can. i wasn't raised right

i do tend to play acoustics acoustically. which sounds dumb, but i am shopping around for some acoustic amps so i can plug those in, too. don't really like how they sound through my other amps, save for the g400.

User Info Menu

Somehow that tiny nusance of flipping the switch on an amp keeps me playing mostly unplugged. I mostly play without a pick for probably the same reason. Laziness. Now that I've written it, it seems kind of strange.

User Info Menu

If you are tired of your acoustic tone, you need to acquire more guitars to add variety.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    If you are tired of your acoustic tone, you need to acquire more guitars to add variety.
    (Smiling) This has been a fun thread.

What I am saying is I want to experience the room filling sounds of an amp, like at a concert. I want to play my Deluxe Reverb and let it sing at higher volumes. Some songs, especially in some other genres of music, need volume so you can feel as well as hear the music IMHO.

Life was kind enough to me where I could have a path to purchasing a home, so I can crank the amps a little if I want to. When I was in an apartment, no way. Some of the folks were shift workers and I would not dare encroach on their sleep.

Whenever I would plug in my kids would come around but now, they have their own life and I can plug in more. (I hope they don't completely forget about dear Ol' daddy..)

User Info Menu

My practice room is somewhat isolated from the rest of the domicile, so I can do either during normal business hours. Most of my amped practice was through my Vibro Champ but as it's needing some attention, I've switched to a tiny Kustom Tube12A equipped with a tube pre-amp and an 8" Celestion speaker. It has two switchable modes (clean/dist) and two switchable tone curves, and 12 watts. A very nice little amp with an extension output and a line output. I actually have two (hey, for $110 bucks apiece, I couldn't pass it up, as I am always on the lookout for amp pairs suitable for use with the ES-345 with the patent-sticker pups and the stereo Vari-Tone. It's set up a couple of feet behind my head, so that the old bean is midway between the amp and the screen of my iMac, so I get a good sound at a low volume. I've been fine-tuning a T-type as well as my fingers-only technique. I've found playing PI allows me to cultivate a basically lighter touch, enabling a great dynamic range in theory.
    Of course my late-night/early-morning insomniac playing is still UP. And if the Missus has business in town - out come the fire-breathing power tubes, the saturated transformers, the way-beyond linear speaker responses - in short - the Beast Within.

I may be old. I ain't dead.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    My practice room is somewhat isolated from the rest of the domicile, so I can do either during normal business hours. Most of my amped practice was through my Vibro Champ but as it's needing some attention, I've switched to a tiny Kustom Tube12A equipped with a tube pre-amp and an 8" Celestion speaker. It has two switchable modes (clean/dist) and two switchable tone curves, and 12 watts. A very nice little amp with an extension output and a line output. I actually have two (hey, for $110 bucks apiece, I couldn't pass it up, as I am always on the lookout for amp pairs suitable for use with the ES-345 with the patent-sticker pups and the stereo Vari-Tone. It's set up a couple of feet behind my head, so that the old bean is midway between the amp and the screen of my iMac, so I get a good sound at a low volume. I've been fine-tuning a T-type as well as my fingers-only technique. I've found playing PI allows me to cultivate a basically lighter touch, enabling a great dynamic range in theory.
    Of course my late-night/early-morning insomniac playing is still UP. And if the Missus has business in town - out come the fire-breathing power tubes, the saturated transformers, the way-beyond linear speaker responses - in short - the Beast Within.

I may be old. I ain't dead.
    I have the first generation VibroChamp XD and SuperChampXD (as opposed to the fancy X2 that Fender has now). Both these babies sound great to me as well. Nice little amps!

User Info Menu

Here's my set up at work

Tired of Playing Unplugged-dsc_1883-jpg
    Nice Yammie AEX 502 that's tweaked (naturally).
    Ampeg GVT 15C.
    I'm quite lucky at work to be able to spend down time practicing. Outside of office hours I'm still lurking around so the amp can get cranked but generally its on half power.
    The corridor stretches around and adds a nice reflection.
    This is the only time I can play plugged in during the week.

I've spent today at work (Sunday) and I've transcribed 2 songs.
    The guys at work sometimes make requests and if I can I oblige.

But at home I'm holding out for the THR 10C. ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    Here's my set up at work

Tired of Playing Unplugged-dsc_1883-jpg
    Nice Yammie AEX 502 that's tweaked (naturally).
    Ampeg GVT 15C.
    I'm quite lucky at work to be able to spend down time practicing. Outside of office hours I'm still lurking around so the amp can get cranked but generally its on half power.
    The corridor stretches around and adds a nice reflection.
    This is the only time I can play plugged in during the week.

I've spent today at work (Sunday) and I've transcribed 2 songs.
    The guys at work sometimes make requests and if I can I oblige.

But at home I'm holding out for the THR 10C. ;-)
    I'll swear that I see the image of Joe Pass in the middle reflection. And definitely Ella Fitzgerald in the bottom one. The top one could well be Wes himself, but the stand is in the way.

dave

ps. OK - maybe a bit of a reach