The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 43

User Info Menu

I'm interested in getting a smooth singing sustain in my tone from time to time.

My Fulltone Plimsoul does a nice enough job, but I'm wondering if there's something better out there . . .
    Do I need a different distortion box, or maybe a compressor/sustainer?

What do you guys like?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've tried a few things with that "smooth singing sustain" in mind myself - I may even have used those very words when asking for ideas on other forums. At the moment I have an inexpensive TC Electronic Dark Matter distortion on my board, that I would actually say gets the closest of those I've tried. I used it at a gig a few weeks ago, and was surprised at just how good it was - I think playing at gig volume did help. Maybe it's because I use a solid state amp (usually a Polytone Minibrute 2), but I do tend to find that "distortion" pedals work better than "overdrive" pedals for me.

Another one I've found that has a certain something is a Turbo RAT pedal (more so than the standard RAT). Actually, the one I have is a cheap Chinese-made RAT "clone" in mini-pedal format, which has a switch to go between standard and turbo clipping modes. But anyway, don't go too high on the gain, and get the filter control just so, and I find good, characterful sustaining tones are to be had - a pleasing thick, strident, beefy kind of sound.

I've just bought a second-hand UK made DopeFX Black Lotus, which is a Zen Drive based circuit, but with some additional controls to give more tone options - I'll see how I get on with that. I tried a standard Zen Drive pedal (again a clone I'm afraid - I'm not rich enough to justify an original) and found that quite nice, but with a bit of a nasal quality I wasn't too keen on. Still, I'm now going back and trying a similar pedal again, so perhaps there was something good there as well.

User Info Menu

I have a Maxon OD9 with the Analog Man mod. It's what I've used forever. I've used it for everything from a light overdrive for bluesier stuff to a boost for high gain metal.

User Info Menu

ZVEX Box Of Rock

What's your favorite Dirt/Distortion/Fuzz pedal?-image-jpg

User Info Menu

I like the tubescreamer kind of thing. Best I tried so far is a Keeley Red Dirt. Very organic and transparent. You can use it in front of a ss amp with pleasing results.

User Info Menu

I love the ZVex Super Duper 2-in-1 for most OD type stuff. It's a 2 stage OD that can be stacked so you end up with a few different levels of drive.

I also really like the Seymour Duncan 805 pedal. It's a little TS-ish, but uses a different chip. And it has EQ, which can be very handy, especially to dial out some the woofiness that I get from thumb strumming with drive. I also use that one a lot with my lap steel. The EQ helps to roll off some of the Hawaii.

User Info Menu

A pedal that I've recently acquired that is great for this purpose is a Zendrive. It's neat because you can get a sweet singing quality without even dialing the gain up that much.

User Info Menu

I recently got an MXR Modified OD, and it may be the best I've played through in decades. It's a very nice pedal.

Dunlop Manufacturing :: Electronics :: MXR :: Custom Badass™ Modified O.D.

User Info Menu

What's your favorite Dirt/Distortion/Fuzz pedal?-bigmuff-jpeg

User Info Menu

I find that it really depends on your guitar,pickups, and amp choice, to which od pedal I choose. So I have several, as well as booster stacking options like my Luxury Drive, or Timmy Pedal. I use humbuckers and mainly Quilter amps!

1.) Lovekraft Mojo Drive

2.) Jetter Red Shift

3.) One Control Strawberry Overdrive

4.) Tone City Sweet Cream

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VinceMGuitar
    A pedal that I've recently acquired that is great for this purpose is a Zendrive. It's neat because you can get a sweet singing quality without even dialing the gain up that much.
    I generally find not dialing up the gain all that much is a good idea, with you on that one.

User Info Menu

BJFe Baby Blue Overdrive ? ? ?

What's your favorite Dirt/Distortion/Fuzz pedal?-image-jpeg

User Info Menu

I have:

- Fulltone OCD -- My overall favorite. Gain goes from very light, basically clean boost to "Marshall stack in a box" with tons of usable settings in between. I've used it with both humbuckers and single coils, and tons of different amps and always been happy with the tone.

- BK Butler Real Tube - uses a 12AX7 Tube. Basically the same as a Tube Driver but with the power supply built-in instead of a wall wart. Sounds great -- very smooth, lots of harmonics, but the pots tend to get dirty/scratchy, can't run on batteries, and it's bulkier and heavier than other pedals, so I don't use it much anymore.

- T-Rex Crunchy Frog -- tubescreamer-type low gain pedal with an additional clean boost channel. Got it about a year ago, but haven't used it that much yet, TBH.

Danelectro Daddy-O -- supposedly the exact same circuit as a Marshall Gov'nor pedal, but a lot cheaper. It's OK. I like it more with single coils than humbuckers.

John

User Info Menu

Mesa Flux Five is great for the old Boogie tones.

What's your favorite Dirt/Distortion/Fuzz pedal?-screen-shot-2017-01-05-11-28-01-am-png

User Info Menu

Check out the foundation distortion series from Electro Harmonix.
    You have quite a collection of different styles of distortion and overdrive.
    A lot of people rate the Soul Food but I liked The Glove coz it gives a Marshall type overdrive with a voice selector.
    What's more they're low priced.

User Info Menu

being a lifelong plug and play straight ahead jazz player I'm probably not the best person to answer this question.
    that said a band I've been working w/plays some R&B, so for Isaac Hayes "Walk On By" I recently bought a Boss FZ-5 Fuzz. Seems to the job and only cost me $45.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    What's your favorite Dirt/Distortion/Fuzz pedal?-bigmuff-jpeg
    I've been wondering about those!
    They have a Big Muff Deluxe model with some interesting mid controls that looks intriguing . . .

User Info Menu

ProCo RAT
    What's your favorite Dirt/Distortion/Fuzz pedal?-185691-jpg

User Info Menu

I like a Tube Screamer wth two mods 1) a 1M gain pot which gives a lot more gain 2) a bass switch, that cuts less bass than the stock TS. With these two mods, it's a great pedal.

User Info Menu

I have a Free the Tone "MS-SOV" pedal I like. One of my students just purchased the Mad Professor "Simble," which looks cool.

User Info Menu

Another interesting pedal is the Catalinbread Katzenkonig ("Cat King" as it's a Rat killer). It's a Rat and a Tone Bender Mk II fuzz in a single pedal. It's got quite a range of usable tone from edgy breakup to over the top fuzz.

Having a distortion circuit and a fuzz circuit it can get a bit noisy when the Input and Gain are turned way up, but at 'singing' drive levels it's not too bad.

Reverb's price guide has them used at $95 - $120.

What's your favorite Dirt/Distortion/Fuzz pedal?-screen-shot-2017-01-05-1-11-34-pm-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTwang
    Another interesting pedal is the Catalinbread Katzenkonig ("Cat King" as it's a Rat killer). It's a Rat and a Tone Bender Mk II fuzz in a single pedal. It's got quite a range of usable tone from edgy breakup to over the top fuzz.

Having a distortion circuit and a fuzz circuit it can get a bit noisy when the Input and Gain are turned way up, but at 'singing' drive levels it's not too bad.

Reverb's price guide has them used at $95 - $120.

What's your favorite Dirt/Distortion/Fuzz pedal?-screen-shot-2017-01-05-1-11-34-pm-png

Interesting indeed. There's a couple of very nice singing tones in that vid!

User Info Menu

I have settled on an Ethos Overdrive/Preamp and an Okko Diablo... my retirement dirt pedals.

User Info Menu

Possibly of interest:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    Interesting indeed. There's a couple of very nice singing tones in that vid!

And the Katzenkonig is on sale at Vintage King for $109.99

Catalinbread Katzenkonig - Vintage King Audio