Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why no love for the SG?

This is meant as a fun thread, no offense to anyone. I don't often play solid body guitars, so I really don't have any skin in the game. That said...

Why no love on this board for the SG? I see a lot of love for the Tele, but for me the SG was always the working man's two pickup guitar. They are both minimal slab guitars. They cost about the same (comparing Epis to Standard and Gibbies to American Standard). I always liked the shorter scale length, the crazy access to the higher frets, and the P90 pickups. Given all the interest on this board for P90's I would have thought the SG a natural choice.

For those of you who do gig and play on solid-bodies, is there some reason the SG doesn't make the grade but the Tele is the overwhelming choice?

I ask out of idle curiosity, but also hoping to hear that people actually LOVE to play their SG's, post a bunch of vids showing their SG's playing the jazz out of some gig, and post incredible pictures of their custom or home made SG's. Along the lines of the Tele Love thread, is there SG love in the crowd?

The band already has a horn section

Well, I used to have 2 SGs. The first one SG Celebrity, pretty rare series in the 90's, 2 humbuckers... I loved it when I was playing in rock/pop bands, but then I got more interested in hollows, particularly Gretsch, and sold it to buy one. I really miss that SG now

The 2nd one was with P90, I bought it on impulse, but I didn't like it that much, those P90 sounded kinda harsh on it. Sold, no regrets.

So as a jazz musician, I don't want to use SG in that application, if even for a reason when I grab one, I just wanna play rock licks up the neck, which is like a natural thing to do. But it doesn't inspire me to play jazz tunes. At all! Tone wise I believe you can make any guitar a jazz guitar through a right amp and enough tweaking. But I don't want my SG for jazz, I want it for rawk, because that's what it does best, dig? Give me one and I'll be too busy cranking out Back In Black or War Pigs to care to try Body And Soul on this beast.

At the same time somewhere someone is asking question on a rock guitar forum why no love for L5.....

You really cannot beat a mahogany made guitar for tone. I had a LP studio all black goth/metal one in for a set up last year that was really lively. Even though its a LP shape I understand where you're coming from re; simple made and equipped guitars, I bonded with that LP and reluctantly gave it back to its owner.

Have you heard of Gordon Smith guitars from Manchester?

Why no love for the SG?-gs2-thick_f711ae73-1767-406a-9f99-012b91147a76_1024x1024-jpg
    Great workmanship and reasonable costs for a handmade guitar. He's been around for 30+ years and this style has not altered. I guess this is the type of every day workmanlike guitar you are referring to.

You don't see many of these on the used market.
    “When a wise man points at the moon the fool considers the finger.”

I've got two, both 1967, both Specials, though one is now in Standard spec with humbuckers, Vibrola etc.

Both produce some very nice jazz tones from the neck pickups.

Through my old Marshall, the white one does Pete Townsend remarkably well and the Cherry, early Clapton.

Win, win, win really

Why no love for the SG?-dsc_0972-jpg

I have had just about every SG model except those with trems and I just could not bond with them.

I never really nailed down the reason, but of all the Gibson models I have played the SG is the one I will never buy again. Heck if I see one in a LGS I won't even pick one up to play.
    Regards,

Gary

I have had a couple of them and really they are nice guitars. All the negative about nick diving and pointy horns is something people like to bring up as a reason for not liking SGs. Having a weak neck heel is in general true. Pulling the neck doesn't keept the guitar in tune like a LP does. But hey, they are lighteweight and good sounding. Just roll of the tone a bit and they are jazzy.
    At one point I had three SGs. At present I have one left, a vintage 1963 Les Paul Standard (SG)

Why no love for the SG?-dsc00313-1-jpg

I used to have an SG Custom. It was a good jazz guitar. Looked like the Les Paul photos.

I owned an SG Standard in the mid-90's. At that time I was playing a lot of straight-ahead Blues.

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett View Post
    This is meant as a fun thread, no offense to anyone. I don't often play solid body guitars, so I really don't have any skin in the game. That said...

Why no love on this board for the SG? I see a lot of love for the Tele, but for me the SG was always the working man's two pickup guitar. They are both minimal slab guitars. They cost about the same (comparing Epis to Standard and Gibbies to American Standard). I always liked the shorter scale length, the crazy access to the higher frets, and the P90 pickups. Given all the interest on this board for P90's I would have thought the SG a natural choice.

For those of you who do gig and play on solid-bodies, is there some reason the SG doesn't make the grade but the Tele is the overwhelming choice?

I ask out of idle curiosity, but also hoping to hear that people actually LOVE to play their SG's, post a bunch of vids showing their SG's playing the jazz out of some gig, and post incredible pictures of their custom or home made SG's. Along the lines of the Tele Love thread, is there SG love in the crowd?

Aesthetics perhaps?

That said, someone here seems to like them:
    Plays one all the time.

How many of you know who this guy is?

Why no love for the SG?-t-jpg
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 08-04-2016 at 03:39 PM.

I had an SG standard. Really loved the tone and the neck. But it was neck heavy when I used a strap (could have replaced the strap button). I also started to think it looked to mainstream and typical, and sold it to justify buying an ES175.

But it was a really great and versatile guitar. I used it much in a rock band I played in.

I have a 68 Melody Maker, (SG bodied), see Avatar, which I played on for the longest time. Still have it now. When I started up again with Jazz lessons a couple of years back I was using it as a practice guitar and to take to lessons for which it worked just fine. It is the thinnest neck guitar I have and probably the lightest. But as for tone, there's just not much one can do to give it a nice Jazzy sound.
    I guess a pro can make any guitar sound good but since I am not one the MM is relegated to Rock and Blues where it sounds perfect.

I just never got grabbed by the SG thing. I love them in the hands of Angus Young and Frank Zappa. Just not for me, I guess.

The question we really should be asking is why no love for Flying V?

Not to mention the glorious Firebird...nice mini humbucker there, great neck.

I like SG.

Just like my tele better
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action?"

--Adam West, as Batman, 1966.

neck heavy when standing, flimsy neck that doesn't work all that great with heavier strings.

I do like the sound. I'd rather play a mahogany PRS standard though. Way better build, not neck heavy and cheaper too. In fact, you can get an SE version for $500 that rivals the quality of the gibson

I think the fret access of the SG is great, but they are neck heavy. Of the many solid body guitars made, IMO, only three are truly iconic, the Tele, the Strat and the Les Paul. These three designs were all home runs. Other guitars like the Jazzmaster, SG, Firebird, Flying V, Jaguar, Explorer, etc. may all be "hits" for their respective companies, but are not in the same league as the big three.

If you like an SG, you are lucky. Vintage examples can be had for way less money than a vintage Les Paul, Strat or Tele.

I got all excited about SG's last fall & did a bunch of shopping/playing but I didn't end up falling in love with a single one.

I spend most all of my guitar time on flattops & archtops.

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    Easy:

1. The V slides off my leg when I sit or...

2. If I put the crotch of the V on my leg it feels like a dog humping me :-)
    Regards,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    Because people would keep on coming up to the bandstand requesting "Born under a bad sign"?

good enough for alan holdsworth

Why no love for the SG?-hqdefault-jpg

& bill frisell

Why no love for the SG?-hqdefault-jpg

even jeff beck had one

Why no love for the SG?-c5429c95620adfa08a5f60715a7e3c08-jpg

cheers

Luis Salinas?

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound View Post
    How many of you know who this guy is?

Why no love for the SG?-t-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    Because people would keep on coming up to the bandstand requesting "Born under a bad sign"?

not everyday you see some albert king humor!!..haha

cheers

I thought that was Stevie Ray Vaughan.

My personal opinion is that it is a cool looking guitar, but I hear too much of the pickup if that makes any sense. It's as if because the body being so thin I hear less of the darkness of the mahogany and the pickups stands out more and I get a very aggressive and bright tone perfect for classic rock. It is different with thicker guitars such as the LP Specials etc.
    Last edited by abelljo; 08-04-2016 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone View Post
    I thought that was Stevie Ray Vaughan.
    Me too!

I was very fortunate to sit in with a great Australian jazz guitarist, George Golla. He's in his 80s now, but still plays great. He was using an Epiphone SG... plugged straight into a very crappy house PA and sounded really good. He's one of the best, he did many albums with reeds player Don Burrows ... some great stuff there. Was a real honour to meet him.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed