The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 87

User Info Menu

I bought this after testing it for two days. A guitar tech friend did a thorough check of the entire guitar, and adjusted the truss rod. I put on Thomastik Infeld 12 - 50 strings.

It is a 2005 model in mint condition. The plastic on the truss rod cover is still on, and there are no wear on the frets. The binding is a little bit yellow, but it has no marks or breaks. The gold finish has no scratches, and it looks like it´s nearly new. The front strap bottom has never been mounted, so I attach the strap to the hi E tuner.

It has a clear, not so loud acoustic sound, which is good for practicing without amp. I have started to fine-tune Axe Fx II to get the right sound. I have of course loaded patch "Mr Benson", and I am about to tweak a self composed dualamp patch with Jazz 120 and Double Verb Vib. Since this is a Pat Metheny signature model, I have of course uploaded some synth patches. GR-300 is mandatory, although I have not quite got used to playing with such a wrenching sound.

I am missing the original box to it, so if anyone has tips on how I can get hold of a case for the PM120, I would appreciate getting tips. I might go for the Ibanez AF case if I can´t get the original.

This is my first archtop, but probably not the last
    Attached Images Attached Images Ibanez PM120-img_0637-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congratulations. They are great guitars.

User Info Menu

Nice, congrats. The first thing you need to do is remove the strap from the tuner! Have your friend tech put the strap button on or at least thread the strap across the whole neck, under the strings.

Thank you! Where is the best place to mount the front strap button? The guitar is hanging a little bit too much backwords when it is attached to the tuner.

User Info Menu

Pretty!

Congratulations.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nikotro
    Thank you! Where is the best place to mount the front strap button? The guitar is hanging a little bit too much backwords when it is attached to the tuner.
    Hi,
    Not a close up photo, but this is a good strap button location for an archtop. Don't put the button on the neck itself (IMHO) as you don't want it to interfere with your hand movements. You don't need a tech for this. Jeff
    PS: Your PM 120 is a very nice guitar BTW!

Thank you, helios!
    I think I can do that without my tech friend helping me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Congratulations. They are great guitars.
    Thank you, Rob!
    Is that a PM120 in your profile photo?

User Info Menu

Thank you, helios!
    I think I can do that without my tech friend helping me.

Yes, Drill a starter hole first (slightly smaller diameter than the screw diameter) and you won't struggle with or strip the strap button screw. Jeff

User Info Menu

That's a cool guitar. It's different, I like different.
    They did a real nice job with that guitar. Enjoy it!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Don't stop now, you're almost there!!!
    All in good fun: enjoy that guitar. I have to admit, the first time I saw that PM asymmetric double cutaway, I didn't much care for it, but now I love it.

User Info Menu

Thank you, Rob!
    Is that a PM120 in your profile photo?
    The cheaper PM2 - a good guitar for the price, but I sold it nearly a year ago. I'd like a 120, though...

User Info Menu

There's a most unusual PM120 on Amazon UK: Ibanez PM120: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

User Info Menu

Nice axe and no it will not be your last archtop. Archtops are more addicting than heroin. How many archtops does one need ? Just one more.

User Info Menu

Congratulations on the new acquisition.
    Do you find the smaller cutaway useful?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    Congratulations on the new acquisition.
    Do you find the smaller cutaway useful?
    The smaller cutaway probably makes it easier to reach the highest tones. It gives me about an inch more free space for the tumb/hand to move towards the smallest frets. I dont need to rotate my hand as is normal if there where no cutaway.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    Don't stop now, you're almost there!!!
    All in good fun: enjoy that guitar. I have to admit, the first time I saw that PM asymmetric double cutaway, I didn't much care for it, but now I love it.
    I have the same experience. It took me some time to get used to the oddity:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    That's a cool guitar. It's different, I like different.
    They did a real nice job with that guitar. Enjoy it!
    Joe D
    Thanks, Joe D.
    Yes, I think its cool too.

User Info Menu

That's a nice one. I like the thumb cutout. Reminds me of Howard Roberts ES-150:

Ibanez PM120-blackf10-jpg

Thank you, Jabberwocky.
    Maybe PM and/or Ibanez was influenced from the Howard Roberts ES-150?Ibanez PM120
    I have never seen that ES before.

Edit: Is the ES on the picture Yours?
    Last edited by nikotro; 12-13-2015 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Forgot a question.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    Nice, congrats. The first thing you need to do is remove the strap from the tuner! Have your friend tech put the strap button on or at least thread the strap across the whole neck, under the strings.
    I followed your advice (I think).

Is this a proper way to fasten the strap?
    Attached Images Attached Images Ibanez PM120-img_0639-jpg 

User Info Menu

Thank you, Jabberwocky.
    Maybe PM and/or Ibanez was influenced from the Howard Roberts ES-150?Ibanez PM120
    I have never seen that ES before.

Edit: Is the ES on the picture Yours?
    I wish! It isn't mine. Wolf Marshall owns it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I wish! It isn't mine. Wolf Marshall owns it.
    It´s a beautiful guitar. Is it difficult to get hold of one?

I decided to get a new Ibanez case for the PM120, after a short visit at the Norwegian importer.

It´s smooth and tight and fits nearly perfect.
    Attached Images Attached Images Ibanez PM120-img_0641-jpg Ibanez PM120-img_0642-jpg Ibanez PM120-img_0640-jpg 

User Info Menu

Is this a proper way to fasten the strap?

Yeah, but I think you'll be happier if you install the button.