The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Which amp do you prefer?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Roland Cube 60

27 19.29%
  • Roland cube 80x

41 29.29%
  • Roland JC-90

18 12.86%
  • Fender blues junior

13 9.29%
  • Fender hot rod deluxe

29 20.71%
  • Fender blues deluxe

18 12.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 126

User Info Menu

Hi, I've been looking for a new amp for a while and have narrowed it down to these

Roland cube 60
    Roland cube 80x
    Roland JC-90
    Fender Blues junior
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
    Fender Blues Deluxe

I'm going to be in my school jazz band next year and plan on going to university for jazz as well. So that might be something to consider

I understand that these are very different amps, I'm just looking for your opinions.

I play a G&L ASAT bluesboy with a Seymour Duncan humbucker in a neck position

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TJ blonde
    Hi, I've been looking for a new amp for a while and have narrowed it down to these

Roland cube 60
    Roland cube 80x
    Roland JC-90
    Fender Blues junior
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
    Fender Blues Deluxe

I'm going to be in my school jazz band next year and plan on going to university for jazz as well. So that might be something to consider

I understand that these are very different amps, I'm just looking for your opinions.

I play a G&L ASAT bluesboy with a Seymour Duncan humbucker in a neck position
    First, I love the G&L Bluesboy.

Looks like you are in the price range of $400 to $800 if those amps are new (which I know the 80x isn't but there is the 80xl and the even newer model that isn't out yet I don't think)

I have a Cube 80x. Wonderful amp. Now, no single amp is gonna 'do it' for everyone. ... and suggestion is a very powerful thing. With that in mind, I feel the 80 watt Cube series is wildly underrated.

I've played every amp in that list and the 80x is my far and away favorite. Lighter than everyone but the Cube 60 and Blues Jr, too. For college, portability and volume will be an issue. The 80x had been my bedroom amp for years now and has been used with full on bands.

You should be able to pick one up pretty cheap. I might consider selling mine. ....might. I'd have to really think on it. I believe I have finally found my 'the one' amp to pair with my 'the one' guitar I've had for years now. It's a Mesa Express 5:50 and it does this 'jazz in a blues suit' type sound that I am just in love with. Not sure what that means for the 80x for me but the Cube had lasted through years of amps and is the only one to stay so far.

Workhorse amps. Reliable. Inexpensive. Great at all volumes. Small...ish. About 35 lbs.

Are you looking new or used? If you are looking new and are in the $800 area, consider Henriksen or Mambo amps.
    Last edited by barrymclark; 07-31-2013 at 07:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Where's Other or None of above.

Is my vote for Jazz amp for school is Henriksen JazzAmp 110 small every portable. Plus girls will like you because you'll smell good since you won't be spending your laundry money on replacing tubes. <grin>

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Where's Other or None of above.

Is my vote for Jazz amp for school is Henriksen JazzAmp 110 small every portable. Plus girls will like you because you'll smell good since you won't be spending your laundry money on replacing tubes. <grin>
    Great amp and it can be had at a very reasonable price used from what I've seen. ... but I am no expert.

thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it for sure.

thanks for your input. The cube 80x was definitely at the top of my list to begin with

Plus girls will like you because you'll smell good since you won't be spending your laundry money on replacing tubes. <grin>[/QUOTE]

Yeah, replacing tubes is something I'm a little concerned about. I'm not a techy kind of guy, and replacing tubes is not something I'd want to spend time and money on.

User Info Menu

Yeah, replacing tubes is something I'm a little concerned about. I'm not a techy kind of guy, and replacing tubes is not something I'd want to spend time and money on.
    To be perfectly honest, you shouldn't be replacing tubes often at all unless you really gig a lot or there is something wrong with your amp. I've never had to replace preamp tubes and only power tubes twice. Like for like tube replacement really about as techie as replacing strings.

User Info Menu

thanks for your input. The cube 80x was definitely at the top of my list to begin with
    It should carry you far. In jazz circles, the Cube series gets a fair amount of respect as a dependable workhorse.

Check out "The Club" from ZT. It can deliver 200 watts through one 12" speaker and retails for about $550 new. Here's a demo link from "Mr. Sound", Matt Otten:
    . I so wish I had that much loot right this moment to lay down on that amp!

User Info Menu

You're a young student; you should not be asking "what's the best amp for jazz," but rather, "what's a decent, inexpensive, used amp that I can lug around to school with?" These are two very different questions.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    You're a young student; you should not be asking "what's the best amp for jazz," but rather, "what's a decent, inexpensive, used amp that I can lug around to school with?" These are two very different questions.
    All these amps are in my price range. I have a job and have been saving up for a little while so it's not a problem. If I were asking "what's the best jazz amp" I would have put the jc-120 and the reverb deluxe on the list .

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    If you don't mind modelling amps and like a nice clean modelled Fender Twin Reverb sound, check out the Fender Mustang 3 V.2. You can find it a penny under $330.00.
    Thanks a lot!

User Info Menu

If I were asking "what's the best jazz amp" I would have put the jc-120 and the reverb deluxe on the list .
    [But that is the Subject Title of the thread]

FWIW, I'm a tube guy, and have never had to hassle with my amps/tubes. If you haven't already, play through all (or as many as you can) of the amps on your list, and buy the one you like.

User Info Menu

anything that can stay clean can do jazz...so buy the one you like

if you a student and commuting with the amp ...... think of the ZT acoustic lunchbox..... use as is (internal 6.5" speaker ...which is way loud about 130db's ) for class/music school and get a nice 12" cab to use with it for gigs if you want a fatter/larger sound for performing ...it's so compact it will make the perfect study amp ...or even the little ZT lunchbox jr which is even smaller and lighter and can run off batteries ...but the acoustic lunchbox is powerful enough to be a serious performing amp whereas the 'jr" may be underpowered for gigs

and apart from that yes the good old cubes are smiled upon by most as cheap and reliable and stay clean

User Info Menu

The new Cube GX series looks extremely interesting. From what I've read, an improvement on the XL series, and the ios interface with jamming/recording/mixing software for iPods, iPhone and iPad is very interesting. I find that I use my iPad frequently when practicing, this could add a nice dimension with an extremely user friendly interface.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keira Witherkay
    anything that can stay clean can do jazz...so buy the one you like
    How i wish this was true... It would have saved me tons of time and money.

From your list I like the Blues Deluxe the most (I don't care for any of the others to tell you the truth). The ZT seems like a nice affordable solution... but never tried one.

Maybe a little above your budget but the Henriksen might be an option (I personally don't care for it but a lot love it here). Or, even better, import a Mambo, that's the amp (for me).

User Info Menu

All these amps are in my price range. I have a job and have been saving up for a little while so it's not a problem. If I were asking "what's the best jazz amp" I would have put the jc-120 and the reverb deluxe on the list .
    my take on that would be a vintage blackface Vibrolux Reverb for small gigs, a vintage blackface Twin Reverb for large.
    at least that's what I use....

User Info Menu

mv3 combo with Jensen Alnico---it is great amp for jazz!

I played with all of them except the cubes. Non of the stores have any in stock where I live. I could specially order it but I think they'll expect me to buy it if I do

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    How i wish this was true... It would have saved me tons of time and money.

From your list I like the Blues Deluxe the most (I don't care for any of the others to tell you the truth). The ZT seems like a nice affordable solution... but never tried one.

Maybe a little above your budget but the Henriksen might be an option (I personally don't care for it but a lot love it here). Or, even better, import a Mambo, that's the amp (for me).

Ya the blues deluxe was gonna be my pick a while ago but a lot of people have complained that they don't last very long. Also I've heard that the blues junior can get a better sound but I think I'll have to try them side by side

Ya I use my iPod a lot as well. I'll have to look into it

User Info Menu

Ya the blues deluxe was gonna be my pick a while ago but a lot of people have complained that they don't last very long. Also I've heard that the blues junior can get a better sound but I think I'll have to try them side by side
    Sounding better is relative. But I had a Blues Jr - at drummer volumes sounds very compressed... does not distort exactly but sounds very bluesy. Not a sound I would want for jazz... The Blues Deluxe stays clean much longer.

I've never hard the Blues Deluxe could be more unreliable than other current Fenders but it's possible.

Are you in the US? If so I would REALLY check the used market.

User Info Menu

I voted Cube 60, I've got one as backup and it has survived many tube amp swaps.
    I'm currently on the search for a new tube amp and that ole' cube 60 still performs.

I find too much bass makes for a mushy sound but with a compressor it can tighten up, nice.
    Sometimes the reverb sounds too digital so I back it off and it's ok.
    Clean and dry it gets the job done.

Cheap on craig list.

User Info Menu

I think that the Cubes are one of the coolest solid state amps out there (descendant of the JC amps). I like the Princeton Reverb Black Face Re-issue that I have. Plug in, set volume to 4, bass and treble to 5 and reverb to 2 1/2 and you have "the sound".