The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Happy new year, jazzers. I'm new to this forum and hope my first thread can make you a little happier in this holiday.
    I hope this little review could be helpful for people who are interested in this fine instrument.

Burst duo with the LP

I've owned a couple of Godins and played a lot of them, Godin makes VERY good necks, especially the ones with "ergocut", like the LGXT, the Multiacs. To my surprise, the neck on this 5th Ave is extremely fantastic, it almost can't be described because it's so unique and outstanding. 16 radius fingerboard is flat on paper, but with the "right" neck profile, it is just so smooth playing.

This guitar is so overwhelming as Godin paid so much attention in details, both design and craftsmanship. Look at the natural maple binding effect on the headstock, it's not binding, just genius paint treatment.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

The neck is Silver Leaf maple. Don't confuse it with the general "maple neck impression". I met Robert Godin last year, and he explained that, silver leaf maple has half the density of so called hard rock maple. The tonal quality of silver leaf maple is more close to mahogany other than maple.
    This particular neck, is made of nicely figured silver leaf maple. The flame changes subtly to lighting from different angles.

The attention to details is showed in hardwares too. The tusq nut and adjustable bridge are accurate, and function very well. The knobs, looks like vintage style when you look at them in front, are actually crystal looking from other sides.

The P90 pickups retain the acoustic tonal quality nicely, and I love all 3 pickup positions. The strings between the bridge and the tailpiece, adds a little bit reverb feel to the tone, making it alive sounding. The tone knob refines the sound of this guitar by a great deal. Though this guitar has no fancy control configuration, with the tweaking of volume and tone knobs, I can still get a wide spectrum of tones.

It is light. The contour of the arch top and back feels as comfort as a fine woman. The finish of it, is "french polish" as Godin calls it, inspired by 19th century violin finishes . It's not shiny/glossy or exactly satin, and it's very smooth.
    Holding this guitar, is definitely happiness.

I've said so much good things, because in my opinion, no other guitar delivers this much of quality in its price range.
    Last edited by hhwan; 12-31-2010 at 08:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Very nice looking guitar. Is the top laminated cherry?

Quote Originally Posted by cjm
    Very nice looking guitar. Is the top laminated cherry?
    Thank you. It is indeed laminate canadian wild cherry.

User Info Menu

Looks lovely! I'm sure you'll like it.

I'm a big fan of the Kingpin, and Godin in general. I really think these guitars, while not flashy, are MILES ahead of anything else in it's price range.

User Info Menu

Congrats (and nice photos!). I've only had my Kingpin for a week and love it already.

User Info Menu

Fantastic & lovely git!

Big fan of the Godin 5th ave. I'm in the middle of an extensive P90 comparison project and essay, comparing some of the nicer boutique P90's as well as some more affordable pickups, for my own amusement, and to see what the best P90 in the market is for jazz applications. I included the Kingpin P90 in the test group and it holds its own pretty respectably, even against some of the bigger names.

While I think some of the other P90's out there sound better, the Godin pickup has considerably less noise than many others I've tested, and it's fairly resistant to external noise sources as well. It's a great balance between tone and minimized noise, easily among the best stock pickups out there.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Looks lovely! I'm sure you'll like it.

I'm a big fan of the Kingpin, and Godin in general. I really think these guitars, while not flashy, are MILES ahead of anything else in it's price range.
    Thanks Mr. B, I enjoyed your clips on the 5th ave These guitars really are something. Happy new year!

Quote Originally Posted by jscjr64
    Congrats (and nice photos!). I've only had my Kingpin for a week and love it already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stackabones
    Fantastic & lovely git!
    Thank you! Happy new year
    Quote Originally Posted by amusiathread
    Big fan of the Godin 5th ave. I'm in the middle of an extensive P90 comparison project and essay, comparing some of the nicer boutique P90's as well as some more affordable pickups, for my own amusement, and to see what the best P90 in the market is for jazz applications. I included the Kingpin P90 in the test group and it holds its own pretty respectably, even against some of the bigger names.

While I think some of the other P90's out there sound better, the Godin pickup has considerably less noise than many others I've tested, and it's fairly resistant to external noise sources as well. It's a great balance between tone and minimized noise, easily among the best stock pickups out there.
    Thank you for these information; Though this is the first P90 guitar that I own, I do feel godin's effort in these pickups. Happy new year!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by amusiathread

Nice to know, as I recently purchased a Kingpin and have been wondering how the pickup compares. Thanks for the info!

User Info Menu

What a beauty! I love the sunburst.

EG

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info; I've been considering this guitar and your post helps a great deal.

User Info Menu

Pretty guitar. I have a Godin multiac nylon. Hope you will be as happy with your new baby as I am with mine!

Cut

User Info Menu

That's a fine looking instrument!

User Info Menu

I purchased an acoustic 5th Ave in the Cognac burst a couple years ago.
    Very fine guitar. I am now considering the Kingpin...thanks for the review and photos.

I am fortunate the local dealer is and has been for 15 years the Western Distributor for Godin. He has several 5th Avenues en route.

I have heard the acoustic and the single pickup model have the same top, and that the 2 pickup model has a thicker top... and in my road testing experience, this plays out. The acoustic only sound in the 2 pickup model is a bit diminished, but still very good.

Godin offers excellent products at excellent value in my opinion.

User Info Menu

I know its been a while since this review was posted but I have tagged on as I have recently put my newly acquired (second hand) Godin Kingpin CWII in for a set up to try to lower the playing action. The tech has looked at it and tells me that the bridge pick up is too high which is restricting the ability to lower the strings. He has shown me the problem and it is quite obvious that if it is adjusted the strings will touch the pickup. The tech is familiar with Godin guitars as they are stockists. He tells me that if it were a new guitar that they were selling he would return it to Godin. He is going to try to replace the pickup cover with a new one from Godin. Has anybody else seen this problem? How is the action generally on this style guitar. I am fairly new to the guitar and this is my first archtop. I have my acoustic strings set quite close to the frets so wanted a similar set up.

User Info Menu

The contour of the arch top and back feels as comfort as a fine woman.
    lol wtf?

User Info Menu

If you ain't got nothing to say, say nothing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blenks
    I know its been a while since this review was posted but I have tagged on as I have recently put my newly acquired (second hand) Godin Kingpin CWII in for a set up to try to lower the playing action. The tech has looked at it and tells me that the bridge pick up is too high which is restricting the ability to lower the strings. He has shown me the problem and it is quite obvious that if it is adjusted the strings will touch the pickup. The tech is familiar with Godin guitars as they are stockists. He tells me that if it were a new guitar that they were selling he would return it to Godin. He is going to try to replace the pickup cover with a new one from Godin. Has anybody else seen this problem? How is the action generally on this style guitar. I am fairly new to the guitar and this is my first archtop. I have my acoustic strings set quite close to the frets so wanted a similar set up.
    The Godin P90 sits on a spacer. These spacers are available in a variety of thicknesses and yours might well have been modified by the previous owner with a thicker spacer. All it takes to lower the P90 is a bit of sandpaper on the bottom of the spacer to reduce its thickness. You could also just buy a variety of dog ear spacers and use the one that gives you the desired PU height.

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot for the advise.