The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

I know this thread has been done before (I did it) - but that was long ago, and it forever fascinates me, the various, often clever and insightful tips this question can generate.

So, how do you tune your guitar?

Kojo

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Let's embrace technology.

User Info Menu

Usually with a tuner. Sometimes just by ear since I know what each string is supposed to sound like. If I'm having a bad day and that doesn't work I'll use a little riff or something.

I used to tune it from the 5th fret to the open note of the next string. My friend uses the natural harmonics at the 5th fret of the guitar to tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Source
    Usually with a tuner. Sometimes just by ear since I know what each string is supposed to sound like. If I'm having a bad day and that doesn't work I'll use a little riff or something.

I used to tune it from the 5th fret to the open note of the next string. My friend uses the natural harmonics at the 5th fret of the guitar to tune.
    You know, I used harmonics for a long time - 5th fret = 7th fret of next highest string - but I learned from some article somewhere that this can't put you in good "tempered" tuning. And, whadda ya know, when I'd tune this way, I'd always have to tweak - a lot.

Seems piano tuners don't usually use this harmonic either, this "7th fret" chime.

So I'm using a tuner, tuning the open strings to "in tune" and then a D or A note on the same string, to "in tune also." It's about reaching the point (a delicate, exacting point) with the tuning so that the open string AND the fretted note are both in tune. There *is* some leeway when a tuner says "in tune" - that my open string is showing in tune doesn't mean a fretted note will be in tune, too (assuming proper intonation). But bringing the open string note, and the fretted note, BOTH in tune - this gives a pretty good sound, imo.

kj

User Info Menu

If I am feeling impatient I will use an electronic tuner. Otherwise, I use an A440 tuning fork for the A string, and then tune the rest of the strings relative to the A string.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cross
    If I am feeling impatient I will use an electronic tuner. Otherwise, I use an A440 tuning fork for the A string, and then tune the rest of the strings relative to the A string.
    I've had an E tuning fork forever, but I never take it out of the guitar case.

User Info Menu

I prefer using it because I find it slowly helps improve my ear, which really needs improving.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cross
    The rare times when I use a tuning fork - an A something - I get better "beats" if I tune to the 7th fret harmonic of the D string. But, as I admitted above, the "temperament" experts tell us never to use that harmonic, as it doesn't fit accurately with the even temperament tuning system - but I use it anyway - haha. Just because of the strong beats... maybe I'm at A440.03333 or whatever, but it works.

The main reason I have for using a tuner is that the guitar sounds the same every time. My ear for pitch differences is pretty good, but a tuner still bests me when it comes to getting a balanced, "every chord" tuning.
    Last edited by Kojo27; 09-22-2012 at 01:18 PM.

User Info Menu

I use a A440 tuning fork.

User Info Menu

Luckily, my guitar was tuned at the factory, but I will use an electronic tuner if need be. Even though I have great pitch, my ears get fatigued later in the day, and become less accurate for tuning by ear or using a fork.

User Info Menu

I learned with an "A" tuning fork back in 1976 and that's still my method. That being said I play at home 100% of the time. If there were any back ground noise at all, or if I were playing out I would need an electronic tuner.

User Info Menu

Yer s'posed to tune 'em?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    Yer s'posed to tune 'em?
    Only when you play with others.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    Yer s'posed to tune 'em?
    You must have one of those Gibson "Robot" guitars. Tunes itself - constantly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Luckily, my guitar was tuned at the factory, but I will use an electronic tuner if need be. Even though I have great pitch, my ears get fatigued later in the day, and become less accurate for tuning by ear or using a fork.
    Yeah, Cos, a factory-tuning is always best, and it's why I buy American - cuz by the time they come over on a boat from China, that sea air has started to work on those strings - sometimes you gotta tweak and tweak.

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin_Hoel
    I learned with an "A" tuning fork back in 1976 and that's still my method. That being said I play at home 100% of the time. If there were any back ground noise at all, or if I were playing out I would need an electronic tuner.
    But after you tune a string to the fork, how do you go from there? That's what interests me.

I don't understand how people tune with noise around them; I suppose they've learned to block it out.

User Info Menu

I tune with an electronic tuner. My ears are kind of fickle. Sometimes I tune with the tuner and it sounds wrong to my ear, sometimes I use my ear and I can wind up pretty off. I've always tuned with a tuner even though when I was growing up my teacher encouraged me not to. Now it just seems like the path of least resistance.

The way I look at it, the guitar is never really going to be perfectly in tune anyway, and our system of tuning isn't really the most sonorous, so, I settle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci
    The way I look at it, the guitar is never really going to be perfectly in tune anyway, and our system of tuning isn't really the most sonorous, so, I settle.
    The same conclusion I came to, Jake - tune it and play. If there's something glaringly wrong, tweak it and go on. Some days I'm not so practical though, and spend 30 minutes tuning.

User Info Menu

[/quote]But after you tune a string to the fork, how do you go from there? That's what interests me.[/quote]

From there I use the open string and the lowest octive two strings down and continue from there, if you follow. I find that tuning on the low end nearest the nut will give the best results. Harmonic tuning has mathmatical errors and pressing the strings further up the neck get it all a bit sharp. If you are using a quality tuner that shows its scale in "cents" you can customise you tuning structure. If you're interested go over to the James Taylor website, he gives a cool tutorial on his specific tuning method. I found it interesting.

Guitar Lessons - JamesTaylor.com Scroll down to lesson five.

He also has an informative lesson in building your own fake nails for finger style players.

User Info Menu

But after you tune a string to the fork, how do you go from there? That's what interests me.[/quote]

Harmonic tuning has mathmatical errors and pressing the strings further up the neck get it all a bit sharp. If you are using a quality tuner that shows its scale in "cents" you can customise you tuning structure.
    There is also a number of tuners out there that have "sweetened" modes built in. The StroboFlip by... Peterson? ... is one. It's controversial, but i am SOLD on the Buzz Feiten tuning system. This involves a special nut, AND a sweetened intonation setting, and sweetened tuning. Stuff like this fascinates me. But give me Buzz any day. (No, capos don't negate it, barre chords still work, etc.)

He also has an informative lesson in building your own fake nails for finger style players.
    COOL! Big JT fan, will go there now. TY!

User Info Menu

I recently got meself the peterson strobo tuner app for my iphone and it's really good, setting the intonation is so much easier.

I used to use an A tuning fork as I could hear the beats better than an E fork. I spent a lot of time with electric tuners but they were really frustrating.

To quick tune without electronic assistance I use 5th & 7th harmonics, then fretted octaves, then fifth fret fourth fret + relevant open string and then finally 9th and 13th chords. Over the years this has become a very quick process and to the observer sounds like free jazz maan!
    Of course on someone elses guitar I check the intonation before any tuning occurs, this stops wasting time.

I also have a Snark tuner that is an excellent piece of kit, recommended!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    I also have a Snark tuner that is an excellent piece of kit, recommended!
    I don't want this to sound like an advertisement, but I too have recently become a fan of the Joy of Snark. I've used other tuners over the years, of assorted brands, but this little baby is the best. We even clipped it onto the bell of a trumpet and a trombone to see what it would do, and it still worked a charm.

User Info Menu

I typically use a tuner and then check two root/fifth 'chords' to listen for any oddness (other than the oddness I expect):

and

If I don't have a tuner handy, it is more complicated.
    1. Tune the high E using my memory of that pitch.
    2. Match the 5th fret low E harmonic to the high E.
    3. Match the D string, second fret to the 12th fret harmonic on the low E.
    4. Match the B string, third fret to the 12th fret harmonic on the D.
    5. Match the octave artificial harmonic of the 2nd fret A string to the open B.
    6. Match the 2nd fret G string to the 12th fret harmonic on the A string.

It sounds complicated, but is very quick with practice. The important thing is that I'm not using any fifths or fourths in tuning, only octaves, so temperament issues shouldn't get compounded.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan T
    I typically use a tuner and then check two root/fifth 'chords' to listen for any oddness (other than the oddness I expect):

and

If I don't have a tuner handy, it is more complicated.
    1. Tune the high E using my memory of that pitch.
    2. Match the 5th fret low E harmonic to the high E.
    3. Match the D string, second fret to the 12th fret harmonic on the low E.
    4. Match the B string, third fret to the 12th fret harmonic on the D.
    5. Match the octave artificial harmonic of the 2nd fret A string to the open B.
    6. Match the 2nd fret G string to the 12th fret harmonic on the A string.

It sounds complicated, but is very quick with practice. The important thing is that I'm not using any fifths or fourths in tuning, only octaves, so temperament issues shouldn't get compounded.
    Cool, Bryan - and you know, I wasn't even aware there WAS a reliable harmonic at the second fret. So this old thread drags new information again! I like these methods of tuning open strings to fretted notes. It's more natural, especially in styles that use open strings. Some guys use all E notes, for another example.

Thanks.

kj

User Info Menu

A guitar is never in tune.

User Info Menu

If you'll read the thread, you'll notice that we accepted that way back. I suppose "tune your guitar" means "get it close enough that you can stand it."

kj