The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

Was having this conversation with a friend. Basically, most of us either copy our heroes and/or are trying new concepts we learn from a plethora of books, videos and players.
    When you are kinda just being yourself and not trying to hard, what musician does your natural self lean toward?
    Basically who do you tend to kinda sound like when your playing comfortably?

mine... Bill Frisell

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jimmy Raney.

User Info Menu

Grant Green. Which makes sense, I've never studied anyone as closely.

I cover it up by using a very different tone, and not being half as cool.

User Info Menu

I think I'd be flattering myself to claim I remotely sound like any of my idols.

User Info Menu

I sound like a pentatonic wanker much of the time ... so no specific names, but we're legion.

User Info Menu

Coltrane.

User Info Menu

Warne Marsh, Lee Konitz, Ted Brown, Billy Bauer. Currently engraved in my intentions. Someday...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    I sound like a pentatonic wanker much of the time ... so no specific names, but we're legion.
    Ha ha so do a lot of us
    If were honest !

PS Curtis Mayfield

User Info Menu

Yeah. Coltrane is written on my DNA. Late 50s. Soultrane. A lot of my phrases are out of that. That's why, I think, a lot of my stuff doesn't sound particularly like guitar lines. I think. I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 09-27-2017 at 09:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Miles

User Info Menu

wayne shorter in my imagination but penta wanker to your ears
    Last edited by WillMbCdn5; 09-27-2017 at 09:35 PM.

User Info Menu

an amalgam .. Coryell/McLaughlin .. Julian lage .. Joe Diorio Muris Varajic larry carlton Scofield Chuck Loeb Ted Greene

User Info Menu

I wish I could sound like any of them -- and if I had to pick just a few (for the wish list) it would be Wes, Jim Hall, Mark Knopfler, Santana, Albert Collins and BB King.

I think I was influenced by all of them, but I don't think it's anything anybody else could identify. Maybe some Jim Hall, Santana and BB King, oddly enough.

User Info Menu

At this point when I hear myself I sound like me---no big deal at my age and 50+ years of playing.

But I always tell people my biggest influences were the 2 players I was around the most, Eddie Diehl and Jimmy Raney (Eddie a lot, Jimmy a little bit). And I hear Wes Montgomery in my sound still somehow...

User Info Menu

In my mind, Pat Martino. In your ears, me, malheursement.

John

User Info Menu

which player isn't ? (yet)....is who i'm still out here trying to find!!!

influences run thick, but always room for a new perspective

i want to play like me, but on the shoulders of many!!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-28-2017 at 07:51 PM. Reason: cl-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    i want to play like me, but on the shoulders of many!!

cheers
    That sorta says it all.

We're all standing on the shoulders of our elders. It's kind of Old Testament----in a good way. As long as we 'leave home' after absorbing the lessons and wisdom and make our own way. That's the best way to honor the forbears: Don't do WHAT they did, do it the WAY they did it---in other words, be yourself and let the chips fall...

User Info Menu

The only way to really get past influence is to acknowledge it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Ha ha so do a lot of us
    If were honest !

PS Curtis Mayfield
    I'm still trying to figure out how Carlton does that half-step-away-from-key pentatonic to get those outside notes that sound sooo inside.

User Info Menu

Hank Garland with hints of Charlie Christian, Lenny Breau, Django, Richard Harding, Chet Atkins, Joe Pass, Scotty Anderson, Kenny Burrell, Jimmy Bryant, John Renbourn and Grant Green, but without being anywhere near as good as any of them
    Last edited by reventlov; 09-30-2017 at 05:23 AM.

User Info Menu

For me, it's mostly Charlie Christian. I don't really sound like him, certainly can't play like him, but his influence on me is probably stronger than any other. Plus Freddie Green, for rhythm playing.

Oh, and how could I forget Eldon Shamblin?
    Last edited by sgosnell; 10-01-2017 at 08:54 PM.

User Info Menu

I would say Jerry Garcia/Bob Weir and aiming for Jim Hall...

User Info Menu

Joe Pass and Wes Montgomery mostly, with some Herb Ellis, Pat Martino and Django Reinhardt mixed in. I also hear some Charlie Christian, but I think that comes to me through Herb Ellis and Wes Montgomery.

And I do not see myself as standing on the shoulders of my heroes, I see myself standing in their shadows.

User Info Menu

Mostly a mix of EVH and Barney Kessell.

User Info Menu

If I were pressed for a serious answer, I'd say there's a quite a bit of Alex Lifeson, a little Albert King, a pinch of Carlos Santana, enough Vernon Reid outside playing to annoy folks, and a smidgen of the Middle Eastern oud/lute players that I heard growing up in Iran.

And plenty of pentatonic wankery in between those few good spots.