The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 67

User Info Menu

I was thinking who do you think the most financially successful jazz guitarist (isn't that an oxymoron?) is? I'm limiting it to people who made money from music.

who do you think would be up there? george benson? metheny?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

george benson..cause he sang too..he had pop hits..breezin album sold millions

cheers

User Info Menu

Gotta be George, yeah.

User Info Menu

G.B., hands down.

User Info Menu

What are you measuring success by, if financial then Pat Metheny is up there with Benson. After that then I'd say there are some comfortable guitarists, but most are doing it for love of the music.

User Info Menu

Me! I have two $50 gigs this week!!

User Info Menu

Do we really want to measure success in monetary terms? I can't imagine myself ever coming up with that question. Sorry. As for the result, frankly, my dear, I couldn't give a damn.

You could measure success in lots of different ways but I was thinking financially.

Having said that, there's heaps of people who have successful careers and have little to no financial success. Makes me think of how someone on another thread mentioned that Alan holdsworth was going through a tough time despite the fact that he had a successful career.

User Info Menu

It's not only about making money but also about spending it. A lot of rock musicians have made and squandered millions, or forgot to pay their taxes and were hounded by the Inland Revenue.

Measuring success in monetary terms seems a very American thing to do. Still - which other criteria come to mind? Influence? Then you'd ask "Who is the most influencial jazz guitarist" and come up with CC, Django, Wes. Artistic success? Great, but how would you define it. Downbeat poll winners? Cover of Guitar magazine? I don't know. Better not start that discussion...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Me! I have two $50 gigs this week!!
    If you're happy, you're a lot more successful than most of the guitarists struggling with their "success"
    David

User Info Menu

Sting. He plays guitar. He worked with Miles. He stole Mile's band. They were more successful with him. I guess Sting.
    Or Pete Townsend?

who's the most successful jazz guitarist?-screen-shot-2017-05-03-8-18-17-am-png
    Who remembers that really tasteful chord solo he recorded on one of his lesser known projects?

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    george benson..cause he sang too..he had pop hits..breezin album sold millions

cheers
    Maybe that makes him an example of a jazz guitarist who made money with something else and so it doesn't quite address the question. Maybe that leaves Metheny and McLaughlin?

User Info Menu

I would add John Scofield to the list, he achieves success in several domains.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Binyomin
    Maybe that makes him an example of a jazz guitarist who made money with something else and so it doesn't quite address the question. Maybe that leaves Metheny and McLaughlin?

I don't think McLaughlin has made that much he's a guitarist's guitarist, doesn't have the household status Benson and Metheny have. Wes was getting to be a household name with his A&M records and hits like Day In A Life, but he passed. Now someone every one hears but doesn't realize it is Grant Green a bunch of his stuff has been sampled and is part of hits today.
    Last edited by docbop; 05-03-2017 at 04:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Don't forget Les Paul (the man not the guitar) ... he had some big hits with Mary Ford and worked with Bing Crosby and other swing era greats for several years

Estimates put his net worth at $10 Million before he passed away

Les Paul Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

GB's networth seems to be around $5 million which seems low for his accomplishments

George Benson Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

Last I heard Metheny was also worth about $5 Million ... which places him on par with George
    Last edited by Bluedawg; 05-03-2017 at 04:26 PM.

User Info Menu

By contrast, Andy Summers, the guitarist with The Police, and a sorta kinda jazzy guitarist for a rock group, is worth $100 million.

User Info Menu

The OP says financially successful, so it couldn't be Joe Pass - or could it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994
    I was thinking who do you think the most financially successful jazz guitarist (isn't that an oxymoron?) is? I'm limiting it to people who made money from music.

who do you think would be up there? george benson? metheny?

As for limiting it to "people who made money from music" ... do you mean people who made their money only in music

or who made money in music and invested it wisely and maybe a lucky investment here and there

Kenny G is supposedly worth $40 million ... but my contacts in the saxophone world tell me that most of that comes from being an original investor in Starbucks Coffee

difficult to separate the two

then there's folks who made good money and blew it all

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    By contrast, Andy Summers, the guitarist with The Police, and a sorta kinda jazzy guitarist for a rock group, is worth $100 million.
    Ahh yes off course .. one of the guitar heroes from my youth. He's recorded a Monk record and a Mingus record, but made all that money playing add9 chords behind Sting, who has been mention already in this thread.

I also learned today from dutchboppers great blog post on Andreas Oberg that he makes big money writing pop hits for the asian market.
    Last edited by Lobomov; 05-03-2017 at 05:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    I also learned today from dutchboppers great blog post on Andreas Oberg that he makes big money writing pop hits for the asian market.
    If he writes K-pop stuff, my estimation of him goes up a notch, although I only watch K-pop videos in private

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    If he writes K-pop stuff, my estimation of him goes up a notch, although I only watch K-pop videos in private
    I looked up his wiki. There was an looong list of bands, so I just picked a few 'Randomly'

User Info Menu

Any jazz guitarist playing gigs he or she likes is successful.

User Info Menu

I think one measure of success for a jazz guitarist is that his (or her) appeal isn't limited to fans of the guitar. In that sense, I think Wes ranks very high.

And Django. Who doesn't love Django?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    I looked up his wiki. There was an looong list of bands, so I just picked a few 'Randomly'

There's some laboratory in S. Korea where they manufacture these bands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I don't think McLaughlin has made that much he's a guitarist's guitarist, doesn't have the household status Benson and Metheny have.
    I was just thinking that in the glory days of the Mahavishnu Orchestra they were playing in the venues used by rock groups and usually on the same bill with rock groups. There had to be some money in that.