The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

I'm releasing another CD, FINALLY! Back in the day you only had one choice - jewel case. Bulky. But now there's digipaks, sleeves, jackets, etc.. It seems to me the only real PRO package is still the jewel case. Am I right? I want this to be professional and not cheap and cheesy. That might just be my POV on this. But I don't really know any more. That's why I'm asking.

Why even release it on CD?

I need it to promote to jazz radio. I need some to sell at gigs and other sources. Yes, I will probably also sell digital download cards, or whatever they're called.

The jazz fan tends to be older, at least most I see. The exceptions are college kids. They're pretty hip, but the older crown doesn't want to download anything.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I really like those more modern cardboard-type sleeves. We used that on our CD and it looks great and very professional.

User Info Menu

I still like the jewel cases because when stacked can still read the artist name or CD name on the side. Then for promotional use I like the paper sleeves with the clear window. They are cheap, easy to mail, and hand out, even worth getting a batch of CD printed so the CD itself has all the promo and contact info and it's visible in the window of the paper sleeve.

User Info Menu

What's a CD??

User Info Menu

For me the jewel case is still the pro way. I like the sleeve for mailing, but I don't see CBS or Warner Bros selling sleeve CDs. Promos yes, but not in stores. What stores? Target, Best Buy, etc..

User Info Menu

It should not matter, but I do prefer jeweled case, then paper case and then plastic sleeves in that order. I try not to be so judgmental that I cause myself to miss out on some good music.

Best of luck with your new CD!

User Info Menu

I personally
    find the jewel case looks cheap and run of the mill. I'll take picture of my last CD this evening and post it so that you can see what I mean about the cardboard. It really looks classy, I think.

User Info Menu

Oh, I'm not so much referring to the look. Jewel cases are lame. But the big manufacturers still use them, so they still have a ring of professional-ness. When I go to Best Buy or some brick and mortar place I don't see plastic or paper sleeves unless its a local-indi release. At least I don't think so. Yet they certainly can look great, even better.

User Info Menu

Make it easy to open for us old guys...

What is your preferred CD packaging?-wpid-images-38-jpg1-jpeg

User Info Menu

i prefer the 4 panel digi-paks..and they have a printed spine

impulse label used them on their reissues..classic look and they held up fine over time

What is your preferred CD packaging?-9318-2-gif

cheers

User Info Menu

Just this morning I was tidying pre-house-cleaner and putting CDs back in their jewel cases. I was struck by how many had their lids broken off. Of course, that could just be the kids...

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Just this morning I was tidying pre-house-cleaner and putting CDs back in their jewel cases. I was struck by how many had their lids broken off. Of course, that could just be the kids...
    No. Not just the kids. The jewel cd case is the worst design of any consumer product ever. In a whole different category from run of the mill "designed to fail" products.

I don't know if we're all understanding the "cardboard" Alain is talking about. They're nice, same design/dimensions as jewel basically, but don't break when you look at them the wrong way?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic
    What's a CD??
    they're those things that sound really good. and plug into your Mark Levinson Premier 17-speaker surround sound car audio system.

User Info Menu

yes jewel cases are a mess..ridiculous design...came from the old cassette case logic

they break, crack etc etc

why i prefer digi-pak..tho!..if the "teeth" that hold the cd break...and they occasionally do...there's no fixin

latest craze was the lp sleeve..where you just slide the cd in like an lp..sans the protective sleeve..trouble is no spine to read

there is a version of the digi-pak that uses a sleeve and still has spine

complicated!!

cheers

User Info Menu

I'd be happy to get rid of jewel cases to minimize plastic, and I would favor any nice-looking cardboard case that has a spine that you can read the contents on. Without that, you have to thumb through all your CDs looking at the front panel, to see what it is, when you're trying to find one. Ugh. Hate that.

The one above in neatomic's post looks like it would meet my criteria, and Tim Lerch's (above) looks like it would not.

User Info Menu

I have several CD of Jonathan Kreisberg's which are in sleeves. I have Pat Metheny CDs in Digipaks. Like 'em much better than plastic "jewel" cases.

User Info Menu

Jewel case.

Everything else is cute but a pain in the ass.

User Info Menu

I don't believe the jewel case looks more "pro".
    It certainly looks like "ordinary" is an accepted standard.
    DigiPaks at least look like somebody cared a little more.
    If only they were more affordable.

My preference was for packets that replicated the appearance of an old LP sleeve.
    Sourcing a plain white paper inner-sleeve, however, was another expensive ball-ache.

The goal, as I see it, is to achieve an artefact that looks and feels worth the money asked.
    Something that shows the quality of care which has been invested.
    For short-runs, cost is always a huge challenge.

User Info Menu

I'm going to do a 1,000. I used to plan for about 350 for free promos, mainly radio.

Once again I'm not so much thinking about what LOOKS PRO so much as what seems to BE pro. If other Pro's are doing digipaks and the like, that's encouraging.

I have a great Coltrane Giant Steps CD that is kind of a sleeve or pack but not jewel case.
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 11-25-2015 at 12:40 AM.

User Info Menu

Are you going to run the cover art by us?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Are you going to run the cover art by us?
    What is your preferred CD packaging?-cover_high-jpg

Sure. Here is the cover.

User Info Menu

Jewel cases.

destinytot Guest
    Jewel case - because it fits nicely on my CD storage shelving.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    What is your preferred CD packaging?-cover_high-jpg

Sure. Here is the cover.
    Love it! Best wishes - and hope to see you in Spain!

User Info Menu

I enjoy the quality of digipaks, but pricier to produce.