The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Posts 426 to 450 of 508
    @joe2758, if you are asking me about what BH says on the DVD he demonstrates resolving each time he borrows a note. He calls it "going home". Again, that doesn't mean you can't experiment or have a different sense of musical tastes.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

No, I was asking Boston Joe which he was practicing. Barry teaches both ways

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    No, I was asking Boston Joe which he was practicing. Barry teaches both ways
    I was trying two things. 1) Resolving the note back to the chord, and 2) resolving the rest of the chord to the borrowed note. I haven't tried carrying a borrowed voice through multiple chords yet.

User Info Menu

this whole vid is awesome, but check out the lesson on borrowing starting around the 6 min mark. such a cool sound

User Info Menu

Very interesting. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I have only worked into my actual playing borrowing up, and only using the alto voice. It’s a lot to digest considering all the different voicings there are to memorize. I’ve got a couple of pet moves that I like: basically enclosures around the targeted Imaj chord. For example, I play the chord above, then the chord below, each borrowing the alto note from the next chord up the maj6 scale and resolve to the targeted Imaj chord.

User Info Menu

Just popping in with a minor discovery. If you use a minor 6 instead of a minor 7 on major tonic chords--e.g., Amin6 for Cmaj, instead of Amin7--you get a #11. I bet you all knew this already, but I just stumbled across it this weekend.

That is all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dingusmingus
    Just popping in with a minor discovery. If you use a minor 6 instead of a minor 7 on major tonic chords--e.g., Amin6 for Cmaj, instead of Amin7--you get a #11. I bet you all knew this already, but I just stumbled across it this weekend.

That is all.
    Hah! Actually, I found this last night myself.

("Minor" discovery. I see what you did there.)

User Info Menu

If you use a min/maj7 you get maj7#5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    If you use a min/maj7 you get maj7#5
    Indeed! I'm finding all sorts of stuff in this system. Truly remarkable what you can derive from two scales that only differ by one note.

User Info Menu

Isn't this all just different ways of getting to the same place?

User Info Menu

not exactly because what you end up with is a scale of chords that sounds different than going diatonically through a mode

User Info Menu

for instance with dingus's example you get a scale with both the perfect and raised fourth

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gnatola
    Isn't this all just different ways of getting to the same place?
    In the end, there are only 12 notes. All roads have to converge there.

What the BH system does is give you a way to bring motion into the picture. I can move confidently through the chords in a BH scale, because there's no shift in tonality. I'm going from 6th chord to "relative diminished" to 6th. If I were playing through a major scale, I'd hit IV chords and II chords that would pull away from the basic tonality. I can still play those if I want, but I have to do it on purpose rather than as a consequence of just moving through the scale.

Plus, the whole "borrowing" thing gives you a way to find great voicings that you might not discover if you were just playing through the major scale. And you can move those voicings around just like you can with the basic chord.

We talk a lot about what the chords are, because it's a lot of work to shift your thinking, but the point of the whole thing is movement. (I'd love to hear the playing of someone who only ever learned the BH system, rather than coming at it from more traditional approaches.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe

(I'd love to hear the playing of someone who only ever learned the BH system, rather than coming at it from more traditional approaches.)
    Funny thing about that is I firmly believe this way of thinking is closer to the traditional way pre-modal players learned

You might be hard pressed to find a player that started with and learned BH stuff only. I think Pasquale grasso started with it before he was a teenager.

I know I for one view all jazz harmony (I don't play anything modern though) through this lens for the past 2 years or so and everything makes more sense.

User Info Menu

Funny thing about that is I firmly believe this way of thinking is closer to the traditional way pre-modal players learned
    I don't doubt it. It seems to make a lot of sense, although I admit, the mental shift is difficult for me. I've learned everything in relation to the root of the written chord. So I even tend to see something like a tritone sub as just a shortcut to certain alterations. But I've been playing around with the "family of four" idea for a while, and decided to delve into this partly because I can see the value in having a better understanding of relative relationships.

User Info Menu

Hey guys,

I got to thinking today and it randomly occurred to me:

The b3 diminished chord pulls to the I or the ii, right?

It pulls to the V as well because that is the related dim for the dom7/dim scale

A group of 7 chords that can pull to the 1,2, or 5

Talk about flexible

Pretty simple connection, but I don't recall it being in the book

User Info Menu

Hey guys,

I got to thinking today and it randomly occurred to me:

The b3 diminished chord pulls to the I or the ii, right?

It pulls to the V as well because that is the related dim for the dom7/dim scale

A group of 7 chords that can pull to the 1,2, or 5

Talk about flexible

Pretty simple connection, but I don't recall it being in the book
    If I'm seeing it correctly, the vanilla V chord is the ii-6 anyway. (Right? G9=D-6?)

User Info Menu

correct!

Though I think more in dom 7th chords and their dom7th dim scales these days.

In key of C, b3 dim is Eb dim

which creates D7, F7 (ever wonder about the IV7-I in Tenderly?), Ab7, and B7

which creates D7b5/Ab7b5 and F7b5/B7b5

All of these chords have a reated dom/dim chord scale.

So right there is 6 chord scales that resolve to a 1, 2, or 5

User Info Menu

Another find: The I6 - Iº - IV6 - Iº - I6 move on page 28 is just an embellishment of the Basie ending.

User Info Menu

I've never heard of "The Basie Ending," but that's certainly what it sounds like!

I was playing that progression the other day and used Drop 2 (1-4 string), Drop 3( 5, 1-3), then drop 2 and 4 (5-4, 2-1) respectively then back up. Sounds awesome

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Another find: The I6 - Iº - IV6 - Iº - I6 move on page 28 is just an embellishment of the Basie ending.
    I mean, this basically moving in and out of the form of a minor blues, if the i and iv chords are minor (whether that is a quick switch to the iv or a ii-V to the iv, the I dim acts as a secondary dominant to the iv.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    I mean, this basically moving in and out of the form of a minor blues, if the i and iv chords are minor (whether that is a quick switch to the iv or a ii-V to the iv, the I dim acts as a secondary dominant to the iv.
    huh? minor blues?

A secondary dominant to 4 comes from another group of chords

I mean however it makes sense in your mind, but the explanation in the BH materials is a lot more eloquent

User Info Menu

huh? minor blues?

A secondary dominant to 4 comes from another group of chords

I mean however it makes sense in your mind, but the explanation in the BH materials is a lot more eloquent
    Sorry typo. It would be the I#dim that moves to the IV chord or iv chord. I.e.

Key of C, IV is F. Secondary Dominant is C7b9, which is related to C#dim. C#dim acts as chord of movement. I guess C dim could as well.

User Info Menu

right, the #i dim pulls to ii/IV, the i dim pulls to the I AND the ii/IV (latter being the point of the progression).

Doesn't bringing minor into it just ad confusion?