The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 124

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by larry graves
    Patrick, what's your definition of a "GREAT" musician? Someone who plays three chords well!!....
    Just noticed this larry. Kinda wish I hadn't. I'm curious about the cynicism.?.? You're obviously referring to the post where I listed guys like Duanne Allman, Terry Kath, Joe Walsh etc.,as great musicians? You obviously glanced over the follow up . . "in there own genre". Also curious about, which of those mentioned in that thread you may disagree with as being great musicians? What would be your definition of great musicianship? Someone who plays many chords well? Exactly how many chords must one know, in your opinion, before you might be able to accept them as being a great musician?

Musicians are those who create music. Great musicians create great music. Was the music created by those mentioned in that post not great music . . within its own genre? Being a great musician need not be synonymous with being a formally and well educated master of technique and music theory . . or does it in your opinion?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hendrix
    Wes Montgomery
    Pat Martino
    Lenny Breau
    Andy McKee
    Dweezil Zappa

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by larry graves
    Patrick. Dans thread ask who's your favourite guitarists, not greatest musicians....L...
    Yes, that would be correct. And I listed (some) of my favorites and then I think it was you who questioned their musician ship.?.? Also, being a good/great musician is often (but not always) a major factor in being a good/great guitarist? But then, there are differing opinions on what it takes for one to be considered a good/great musician. Perhaps we have differing opinions and definitions on what it takes to be a great musician? My definition of a great musician, is one who makes great music. However, one's definitions and opinions of what is great music are very subjective. Subjectivity, was at the heart of the OP's question . . was it not?

Your definition of a great musician seems to be someone who knows a lot of chords . . although I'm sure you meant theory. That would make your definitions and opinions based more upon objectivity than subjectivity. However, the OP's question was not one based upon objectivity. If it was, it would have been . . "Who do you think are the five best guitarists of all time?". If you think that you and I are have a bit of a fun filled banter here . . . just think what a shit storm THAT question would have created!!

I believe the following;

There are and were great guitarists who don't and didn't have extensive music theory knowledge.
    There are and were great guitarists who have and had extensive music theory knowledge.
    There are and were not so great guitarists who have and had extensive music theory knowledge.
    There are and were not so great guitarists who have and had very limited music theory knowledge.

Hendrix <check
    Wes Montgomery <check
    Pat Martino < check
    Lenny Breau, <check
    Andy McKee <check

Benson.... smokin'!!!!

Nice Rhumba beat..piano player is awesome. Benson..Gawd, he's got the chops!
    Love that sound from his GB200.

Note: audio breaks up from time to time..

Little George Benson "Deeper than you think"

User Info Menu

Right now, these are my favorites:

Ted Greene
    Lenny Breau
    Johnny Smith
    George Van Eps
    Kenny Burrell
    Joe Pass

User Info Menu

1) My father (RIP)
    2) Chet Atkins
    3) SRV
    4) Benson
    5) Jerry Reed

and others that rotate through, except for number 1, that will always be held by my father.
    Last edited by Stormtruck2; 11-07-2013 at 05:00 PM.

User Info Menu

I want to add Doug Raney to my post 1975 list. My favorite old school 2nd generation guy.He's beautiful.

User Info Menu

Wes Montgomery
    Pat Metheny
    Jim Hall
    Mahavishnu John McLaughlin
    Pat Martino
    Last edited by Eric Rowland; 12-29-2013 at 10:47 AM.

User Info Menu

I like SRV and EVH, know less about other guitar players

User Info Menu

Current top 5:

Ted Greene

Lenny Breau

Barney Kessel

Frank Zappa

Andres Segovia

User Info Menu

Hello, first post:

Ed B
    Ted G
    Steve Cropper
    George Harrison
    Adrian Utley

User Info Menu

Sutty....play a tele?

User Info Menu

Five?.....are you kidding?
    Okay.....

Barney Kessel
    Jeff Beck
    Allan Holdsworth
    Brent Mason
    Eddie Van Halen........

And.....

Wes Montgomery
    George Benson
    Howard Roberts
    Johnny Smith
    Charlie Christian
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    Greg Howe
    Brad Paisley
    Jimmy Page
    Frank Zappa
    Tal Farlow
    Chet Atkins
    Jerry Reed
    Dickey Betts.........

I could do this for a reeeally long time.
    Last edited by Captain Caravelle; 11-25-2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: I forgot Tal.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Sutty....play a tele?

Is it that obvious from my influences?

Or do you recognise me from the TDPRI?

Hint: I'm the guy who's always asking stupid questions about jazz on a Tele.

User Info Menu

hmm, who's the guy in the vid? When he got into words and vocabulary at about 7:00, I was bought all in. Relating music to linguistics and language, beautiful.

Anyway, I like lots of players and have many favorites for different reasons.

I do like/love Ted Green who keeps coming up lists. However, after listening to his music intensely (what limited volume there is), I appreciate it tremendously, but I am not in love with it.

On any given day, I'd write my list of five differently. Having said that, I am going to be the only one on this small forum to list Jerry Garcia each time I might formulate a cinque d' importance. I don't think I will ever out grow or out live a deep appreciating for some of the turns of phrase he executed. Perhaps they were simple from a music theory point of view. Perhaps they were few (-ish) and far (-ish) between, but... ah well. One must have a history I suppose.

So add
    Anthony Wilson!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Joe Pass
    Wes
    Scotty Moore

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell
    Pat Metheny
    Tommy Emmanuel
    Jimmy Herring
    David Gilmour

Just Listened to a bunch of Lionel Loueke (thank you mr. beaumont), and that guy is amazing!

User Info Menu

My five:
    Jim Hall
    Paco de lucia
    Ben Monder
    Gabor Gado
    Jimi Hendrix
    Maybe the list looks differently tomorrow

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Broyale
    1. Me

2. Me

3. Me

4. Grant Green

5. Mark Elf
    haha, then give us a show!!

User Info Menu

Nels Cline , John Scofield , John McLaughlin, Kirt Cobain, Larry LaLonde..... but I could go on

User Info Menu

My guitar idols:

Wes Montgomery
    Charlie Christian
    Grant Green
    Berilli LeGrene
    Joe Pass

One thing I've come to realize...there are so many talented guitarists from every genre of music. I respect and appreciate them all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Caddoman
    My guitar idols:

Wes Montgomery
    Charlie Christian
    Grant Green
    Bireli Lagrene
    Joe Pass

One thing I've come to realize...there are so many talented guitarists from every genre of music. I respect and appreciate them all.
    +1 Man, your list is off the charts great! I love it! Every one!
    Last edited by ChuckCorbis; 12-22-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: The spelling of 'Bireli Lagrene'.

User Info Menu

1st Post On This Forum !

1.Joe Pass
    2.Larry Carlton
    3.Steve Lukather
    4.Wes Montgomery
    5.Django Reindhart

User Info Menu

Barney Kessel
    Kenny Burrell
    Wes Montgomery
    Jimmy Bruno
    Howard Alden
    Bireli Lagrene

User Info Menu

Here are mine,
    Wes,
    Jimmy Raney
    Howard Roberts
    Joe Pass
    George Benson

I could add many more ( Emily Remler, Martin Taylor, Pat Martino etc.,
    there are so many legendary players ....)
    and a number of contributors on this forum.

regards to all/

Silverfoxx.