The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Posts 251 to 275 of 600

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Question:
    do you have experience with singers?
    Some of them sing beautifully and do not know that there is a theory.
    Maybe they don't even know the chords.
    Just ears and musicality.
    Are they mad at theory?
    If they do not know that there is a theory, they aren't mad at it... (same for drummers)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am practising theory.
    Last edited by Litterick; 03-21-2023 at 02:14 PM.

User Info Menu

If I show a half dozen perspectives, which is most like your own when practicing, performing, and being mad?

Let's call them

List
    Trails
    Sheet
    Equal
    Circle
    Flow

List
    The official mad-at-theory thread-chick-corea-advice-jpg

Trails
    The official mad-at-theory thread-theory-jpg

Sheet
    The official mad-at-theory thread-chords-jpg

Equal
    The official mad-at-theory thread-all-chords-you-jpeg

Circle
    The official mad-at-theory thread-ldchords-jpg

Flow
    The official mad-at-theory thread-bachflows-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    If I show a half dozen perspectives, which is most like your own when practicing, performing, and being mad?

Let's call them

List
    Trails
    Sheet
    Equal
    Circle
    Flow

List
    The official mad-at-theory thread-chick-corea-advice-jpg

Trails
    The official mad-at-theory thread-theory-jpg

Sheet
    The official mad-at-theory thread-chords-jpg

Equal
    The official mad-at-theory thread-all-chords-you-jpeg

Circle
    The official mad-at-theory thread-ldchords-jpg

Flow
    The official mad-at-theory thread-bachflows-jpg
    I got Gonzaga vs Louisville in the last one.

User Info Menu

The last diagram encapsulates what happens when I try to represent something that seems perfectly simple to me and I realise halfway through that it’s turning into a map of hell. Usually at this point I abandon ship, but I oddly respect that they followed through on it.

User Info Menu

it’s amazing. Just by staring at this I am able to play like Pat Martino.

User Info Menu

The diagram reminds me of fractals, which are quite amazing.

Sacred geometry is fractal based and there are entire religions and belief systems based on it.

You can, if you wish and so desire, use Mandelbrot sets to create fractal music.

Mandelbrot set

User Info Menu

If I stare at this one long enough, it makes me think I can play like Coltrane.

The official mad-at-theory thread-32ca3862-b829-426b-abec-da6afbb709b0-jpeg

User Info Menu

Sacred Geometry must have been popular in the 1960's.

"Sacred geometry is about figuring out the hidden meanings behind these geometric shapes in order to understand the universe. It is believed that within these shapes lies the secret of every aspect and facet of this universe and uncovering these secrets can help us humans understand the Great Mysteries and the Great Design that form the basis of this universe."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    Sacred Geometry must have been popular in the 1960's.

"Sacred geometry is about figuring out the hidden meanings behind these geometric shapes in order to understand the universe. It is believed that within these shapes lies the secret of every aspect and facet of this universe and uncovering these secrets can help us humans understand the Great Mysteries and the Great Design that form the basis of this universe."
    Anything with a whiff of the esoteric or mystical was big back then. Musicians love that shit!

I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy a New Age bookshop. Which is quite Gemini of me, really. Ah well. (I'm an Aries with Mars ascendent, you can probably tell.)

User Info Menu

The official mad-at-theory thread-e1c43038-e98e-4691-b122-b6812b7339af-jpeg

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

You are not wrong :-)

User Info Menu

Or maybe the tempo should be -300bpm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Anything with a whiff of the esoteric or mystical was big back then. Musicians love that shit!

I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy a New Age bookshop. Which is quite Gemini of me, really. Ah well. (I'm an Aries with Mars ascendent, you can probably tell.)
    I gotta say that I'm allergic to New Age theories of music, the Secret History of Water, The Music of the Spheres, oh the planets revolve around the sun in a regular rhythm and they have a ratio between their orbits and omg that's exactly like the overtones of a bell struck billions of years ago, didja know the Earth's resonance is a F natural 57 octaves below middle C (can't you feel it? I can), oh, and my guitar amp is resting on four crystals to isolate it from the ley lines running under my feet.

There's a book called Tuning, Timbre, Spectrum, Scale which is not New Agey but it attempts to map the resonances of molecules into usable musical scales. I like it because it is an actual rigorous attempt at combining crystals with music (the author is a chemistry professor). In practice it barely makes a ripple in the inharmonic world of FM synthesis.

I guess you could say that I'm Mad-At-New-Age-Music-Theory

User Info Menu

Mad-At-New-Age-Music-Theory
    Now that makes sense.

User Info Menu

But it has nothing to do with jazz theory.
    No, but the joke is that some of it might have been written by supernatural beings :-)

Soon someone will write that jazz is played best by aliens.
    Although, there may be some truth to that.
    Exactly.

User Info Menu

In all this talk of theory, over several blighted threads, only a few jazz theorists and theory books have been mentioned. And the theorising seems to have finished some years ago. It all seems rather niche to me. Maybe we are post-theory.

User Info Menu

Soon someone will write that jazz is played best by aliens.
    Although, there may be some truth to that.
    The music played by the band in the Star Wars cantina scene was called 'jizz'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    In all this talk of theory, over several blighted threads, only a few jazz theorists and theory books have been mentioned. And the theorising seems to have finished some years ago. It all seems rather niche to me. Maybe we are post-theory.
    Yeah but that stuff is as dull as shit tho

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersoul
    I gotta say that I'm allergic to New Age theories of music, the Secret History of Water, The Music of the Spheres, oh the planets revolve around the sun in a regular rhythm and they have a ratio between their orbits and omg that's exactly like the overtones of a bell struck billions of years ago, didja know the Earth's resonance is a F natural 57 octaves below middle C (can't you feel it? I can), oh, and my guitar amp is resting on four crystals to isolate it from the ley lines running under my feet.

There's a book called Tuning, Timbre, Spectrum, Scale which is not New Agey but it attempts to map the resonances of molecules into usable musical scales. I like it because it is an actual rigorous attempt at combining crystals with music (the author is a chemistry professor). In practice it barely makes a ripple in the inharmonic world of FM synthesis.

I guess you could say that I'm Mad-At-New-Age-Music-Theory
    Just make sure you tune to A 432....

User Info Menu

Maybe we are post-theory.
    I don't think we can get away from it entirely because it shapes the music but I think it's probably true that there's been nothing actually new for a very long time.

Ur mad at theory.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Ur mad at theory.
    Jimmy, this phrase is becoming silly. If you mean angry at theory that's not true. I doubt if anyone's literally angry at theory.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Jimmy, this phrase is becoming silly. If you mean angry at theory that's not true. I doubt if anyone's literally angry at theory.
    Ok, he's purposely lying to further his narrative. Is that direct enough for you? The only other possibility is he's too dense to absorb these truths about theory, but I doubt that's the case. Theory is niche when almost all successful musicians use and depend on it? What kind of nonsense is that?