The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 86

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I can do Summertime, I like it. No funny business.

(I'm not playing enough tunes these days)

Kong's simple test of is a musician any good.... If a dude sat down and played in a bar or cafe, would he enjoy listening or would he go home to eat some bananas.

This would keep me in the bar to buy another drink. I like you ragman, you cut out bullshit and play nice to back it up!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

'kongtime'

(Apologies for the poor phone next to amp and TV sound quality)
    Link is good but displays wierd.

SndUp | Post info

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KingKong
    'kongtime'

(Apologies for the poor phone next to amp and TV sound quality)
    Link is good but displays wierd.

SndUp | Post info
    Great !
    These are two "old" versions.

User Info Menu

Not in A minor. It starts on Am6 and many versions have it going to a plain E7. But many people play E9. And some people just move the Am6 up to play Bm6. Not that it makes much difference, as Christian said.
    Not what I meant. it makes a difference, massive difference to the effect of the song, which chords you use. That’s how you dress up the song. Whether it’s going out in a 30s formal wear, a sharp 50’s suit or an 80s casual sportswear ensemble.

im saying soloing wise, people get hung up on the chords. This type of tune - play a strong melody… minor melodies can and do use all the notes of the different minor scales.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Not what I meant.
    Ah, sorry.

it makes a difference, massive difference to the effect of the song, which chords you use.
    Certainly does.

User Info Menu

KingKong -

Yes, but did you like the sheep?
    Yes, even shared it with my mates on WhatsApp!

User Info Menu

Surely this has to be the best version of summertime out there, although I'm sure if Armstrong were alive today he'd be quaking in his boots at mine and Ragman's versions....

What's all this talk of the first chord being Aminor6th or what ever, it's A flaming minor 7th. Got no time for these pretentious fancy chords, hard enough job learning the basic ones.

Anyway, original poster, please don't be put off by this thread, learn summertime, minor key concept will become clear. The tune has chords with notes in from both the A natural and harmonic minor, it works. There is only a minor difference between them.

User Info Menu

Am7 is the weak milky tea of chords

User Info Menu

Am7 is the weak milky tea of chords
    Actually, I'm starting to see (or hear) this myself tbf, just bear in mind where I'm up to with this jazz escapade, keeping it simple at the moment as I try to put it all together.

What would you say are the next 'pretentious' minor chords to start playing with, I'm guessing A flaming minor 6th and 9th?

I'm working on getting me arpeggios and 7th chords down in all of the 5 positions on the neck at the moment, but yeh spicing up the chords ought to be looked at at some point in the future.

Chords need to be Guinness, not milky tea!

User Info Menu

I think I’d rather Am over Am7 for a tonic minor; don’t have to add shit to it if you don’t want to. Straight minor is a unique sound.

I also like Amadd9 a lot.

Extended m7 is ok m9, m11 maybe. Depends what the song is doing and what sound I want.

Original is Am6 Bm6 vamp. Pretty moody.

m(maj7) is a bit strong for a lot of applications. Am6/9 is a nice dissonant, strident sound. Tend to use it more for solos I think?

Otoh Am7 - it’s that C triad. Thins out the minor-ness. Which may be what you want…

User Info Menu

I think I’d rather Am over Am7 for a tonic minor; don’t have to add shit to it if you don’t want to. Straight minor is a unique sound.

I also like Amadd9 a lot.

Extended m7 is ok m9, m11 maybe. Depends what the song is doing and what sound I want.

Original is Am6 Bm6 vamp. Pretty moody.

m(maj7) is a bit strong for a lot of applications. Am6/9 is a nice dissonant, strident sound. Tend to use it more for solos I think?

Otoh Am7 - it’s that C triad. Thins out the minor-ness. Which may be what you want…
    Looking back, I played solely 'cowboy', barre and dominant 7 chords for nigh on 25 years before even playing my first Aminor7th chord so just doing that was a revelation to me at the time.

So here's the problem:

Pianoman, play AM9 instead of AM7 please?
    No problem I'll just put an extra finger down on the keys.

Guitarman, do the same.....
    Ok, my go to Am7 chord is xx5555 I'll just sick a finger on the B (xx5557).
    Hang on, I've lost the A, it's Cmaj7, i've got to completely move everything just to get the right notes in......

User Info Menu

Ok, my go to Am7 chord is xx5555 I'll just sick a finger on the B (xx5557).
    Hang on, I've lost the A, it's Cmaj7, i've got to completely move everything just to get the right notes in......
    You might find that A on your open 5th string; or if you don't like open strings then on the 6th string, fifth fret.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    You might find that A on your open 5th string; or if you don't like open strings then on the 6th string, fifth fret.
    Needs to be movable so open string is no good, also if I do the A on the 6th string, loses the 9.

Or could you get away with playing the Cmaj7th, if u were playing with a bass or piano player, who would provide the all important missing A?

Anyway, not dissing these fancy chords but I've got bigger fish to fry at the moment, well with the way and order I've decided to go about things that is.

User Info Menu

Needs to be movable so open string is no good, also if I do the A on the 6th string, loses the 9.
    That's why there is hybrid picking.
    In fact, you don't even need hybrid picking to play A min9 on the 5th fret.
    Don't bar with one finger like a cowboy chord player. Use fingers 2, 3 and 4.
    2 does the bass, 3 bars the middle 3 strings, 4 does the 9th.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 01-22-2023 at 08:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Use your thumb over the edge of the neck to get A on the 6th string, (mute the 5th string with edge of the index finger), then it’s moveable, and playable with a pick.

Pretty standard rock technique too (for an Am7 chord), at least that’s what I always did.

Can be used for lots of other jazz voicings too, where root on 6th is required.

User Info Menu

Rofl

User Info Menu

I've lost the A, it's Cmaj7, i've got to completely move everything just to get the right notes in......
    If you can't get your thumb over then it's possible the 'Cmaj7' might not sound like one in context. It depends what comes before and after.

But this is getting to be a real mess here. You say the best version is the Louis Armstrong/Ella Fitzgerald vid. But then you say

What's all this talk of the first chord being Aminor6th or what ever, it's A flaming minor 7th
    But it isn't. The Armstrong vid is in Bm and the first chord is without any doubt at all a Bm6. Play over it and see.

And in fact an Am6 (5x455x) is much easier to play than the Am7 where you stick your 3rd finger across (5x555x). Easier to play and easier to move.

And now you're talking about an Am9... Is that for improvising purposes? Because the tune never has a B over the Am.

So unless I'm missing something I'm completely lost.

User Info Menu

If you can't get your thumb over then it's possible the 'Cmaj7' might not sound like one in context. It depends what comes before and after.

But this is getting to be a real mess here. You say the best version is the Louis Armstrong/Ella Fitzgerald vid. But then you say

But it isn't. The Armstrong vid is in Bm and the first chord is without any doubt at all a Bm6. Play over it and see.

And in fact an Am6 (5x455x) is much easier to play than the Am7 where you stick your 3rd finger across (5x555x). Easier to play and easier to move.

And now you're talking about an Am9... Is that for improvising purposes? Because the tune never has a B over the Am.

So unless I'm missing something I'm completely lost.
    Don't worry youve missed nothing of important. Thread got diverted and Kong left his brain somewhere whilst trying to figure out how to play an Am9.

User Info Menu

Like I said, you might not need to play any more than your 'Cmaj7' sound. In fact, it can sound jazzier and better.

Here are two little bits. I'm playing each one twice. The first time I'm playing them with bass notes and the 5x555x shape but the second I'm using the xx5557. But the ear doesn't hear a Cmaj7, it hears the Am9.

CM7 - Am7- Dm7 - G7

CM7 - G7/G#o - Am7 - G7

User Info Menu

My friends, I've got the feeling you're into politics or administration, you take time to understand.

User Info Menu

Like I said, you might not need to play any more than your 'Cmaj7' sound. In fact, it can sound jazzier and better.

Here are two little bits. I'm playing each one twice. The first time I'm playing them with bass notes and the 5x555x shape but the second I'm using the xx5557. But the ear doesn't hear a Cmaj7, it hears the Am9.

CM7 - Am7- Dm7 - G7

CM7 - G7/G#o - Am7 - G7

I'll give this a listen when time allows, but I've just recalled a TV thing from a while back where Sting was pontificating about how he could change the chord his band was playing with his bass guitar. This is kind of the same conversation.

Easy then, I'll just play an easy 2 finger c maj 7th, get me old mate Stingy in on bass and the Am9 is there no worries.

User Info Menu

That's it, give it the two fingers :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    Great !
    These are two "old" versions.
    Sorry forgot to compliment you on this, very saxy!

User Info Menu

Hi 2-5Guy

I'm enjoying reading this thread that you've started.

You might like to take a look at Dan Greenblatt's book, Minor is Major (Sher Music Co., 2013), which discusses the minor scales in a jazz context. It's a rare extended study of the harmonic and melodic minors (and more) as used by well-known jazz composers and improvisors.

This book would merit its own separate thread, somewhere on the forum, to discuss it in detail: it's thought-provoking reading, even if you then find yourself disagreeing with some of its assertions.

The Sher Music website offers some sample pages, as pdfs, here:

www.shermusic.com/1883217776.php

All the best
    Mick W

User Info Menu

Sorry forgot to compliment you on this, very saxy!
    Oh, you don't have to.
    For your tunes in minor keys, if you've got 4 bars of the same minor chord and if you think it like a m7 the best is to play quartal. It's easy, it's modern, nobody will blame you.
    This is a tune I failed, the intro is based on quartal chords.