The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 55 of 55

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    I googled a little for EIS yesterday and read a little about it in a forum. The lessons seem too be very expensive and secretive — more so than the Banacos stuff taught by Garry Dial and Barbara Banacos.
    For better or worse, that’s the decision of the copyright holder. I will say that it is completely original and it completely changed the game of writing music for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

IMO, playing out of a good method book like Close for clarinet will have you playing exercises that "teach" you theory by ear, without you necessarily knowing the names of what you're learning. Major and minor scales in 3rds, various patterns of tonic and dominant arpeggios, stuff like that will naturally teach you the sounds of all the diatonic chords without you necessarily knowing what "subdominant" means. It seems likely to me that this is what Bird was drawing from.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thetruewheel
    IMO, playing out of a good method book like Close for clarinet will have you playing exercises that "teach" you theory by ear
    It's interesting how many musicians say stuff like this, it's a very common thing.

The implication seems to be that theory exists whether or not you think of it when you play.

For me, theory only exists if you are consciously using it to analyse music.

User Info Menu

Philosophers of art have similar differences – between essentialist and anti-essentialist views. Is the object a work of art because of its intrinsic qualities, or because of socially constructed ideas of what constitutes art? Discuss.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Philosophers of art have similar differences – between essentialist and anti-essentialist views. Is the object a work of art because of its intrinsic qualities, or because of socially constructed ideas of what constitutes art? Discuss.
    Yes, L,
    This is the essence of one's perception of Art. History uses the term "Classic/intrinsic" since it represents the best of all generations. However, "social/extrinsic" perception of Art is a consequence of prevailing trends. Many great artists went to their graves believing they were failures since they didn't have social acceptance of their Art: Van Gogh, Gauguin, Vermeer, Melville, etc. With rare exception, the Herd always gets it wrong . . .
    Marinero