The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Blimey, nothing about Summertime is static at all! Personally, I just play it... or am I missing something?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Let's say, for argument's sake, 4 bars. I'll work it out from there

Later folks.
    In situations like that, one of my favorite devices is simply anticipating the next chord a few beats early. Always sounds hip.

User Info Menu

Back to the static chord initial question.

Garrison Fewell (from his book) and Larry Carlton (from an old VHS instructional video) extend the arpeggio to get to new territory.

Am R 3 5 7 9 11 and beyond if you want.

So R 3 5 Am; 3 5 7 Cmaj; 5 7 9 Em; 7 9 11 Gmaj

Over Am
    Play your Am or Am7 stuff
    Or play your Cmaj or Cmaj7 stuff
    Or play your Em or Em7 stuff
    Or play your Gmaj or Gmaj7 stuff and your Gmaj7 stuff might include Bm7 stuff... And your Bm7 stuff might include E7 stuff... to infinity and beyond

User Info Menu

That sheet music -- *chef's kiss*

User Info Menu

Hey Peter,
    ..did you get more than you bargained for ? -lol- ..there's more ideas up there than I would've thought of.
    I haven't seen anyone mention the V chord, if the tune will take it and assuming you just want to spice up a longer one chord passage, use the V. These are very short "phrases or lead ins", for me. If you're using the basic iii or vi sub, use a bit of their respective V chord. ... I'm a simple man
    I like your Bm idea. I also like the B7 idea.

PS: I like mr b' idea above. you could also use a bit of V leading into your next chord. ...?

-best,
    Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    In situations like that, one of my favorite devices is simply anticipating the next chord a few beats early. Always sounds hip.
    Absolutely. So only 3-and-a-bit bars then? Heavens to Betsy :-)

User Info Menu

We should do a couple of choruses of Caravan as a try-out. 24 bars between them... lots of fun :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mjo
    Hey Peter,
    ..did you get more than you bargained for ? -lol- ..there's more ideas up there than I would've thought of.
    I haven't seen anyone mention the V chord, if the tune will take it and assuming you just want to spice up a longer one chord passage, use the V. These are very short "phrases or lead ins", for me. If you're using the basic iii or vi sub, use a bit of their respective V chord. ... I'm a simple man
    I like your Bm idea. I also like the B7 idea.

PS: I like mr b' idea above. you could also use a bit of V leading into your next chord. ...?

-best,
    Mike
    I haven't had a chance to sit down with it as yet. I'm very grateful for all the input. What I have discovered is that once you start overlaying a particular scale or arpeggio, things just kind of go click, which is pretty exciting. Never too late to learn