The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Posts 726 to 750 of 1072

User Info Menu

I went to explain scales, arps, intervals, chromatics to Tony and he got mad that I was teaching him something lol. That's the last time I ever do that. :P

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Who's Tony?

User Info Menu

My teacher Tony Monaco.

User Info Menu

Oh, I see. Not Tony Soprano. Now I understand.

User Info Menu

He was mad at me today lol. I had to let him know that Autumn Leavz was in minor tho.

He was saying he wondered why E-maj notes like C# sounded good when the song's in G major. I said because it's in E minor.. And then I ran.
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 01-03-2023 at 11:11 PM.

User Info Menu

TBF I know some good players with a shaky grasp of theory who think the first chord of Just Friends is the key.

You have to call 'Just friends in F, first chord Bb' just to check.

Mind you someone called After You've Gone in Bb the other day and I played the first chord as Bb lol. I was to be fair, very tired.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    TBF I know some good players with a shaky grasp of theory who think the first chord of Just Friends is the key.

Mind you someone called After You've Gone in Bb the other day and I played the first chord as Bb lol. I was to be fair, very tired.
    90%+ of the times, the key is what you hear on measure #31 Much more reliable than measure #1 or looking at the key signature

User Info Menu

I called a blues in Bb and then accidentally played in C wondering why the bass player looked so confused.

User Info Menu

I heard a guy say "blues in C" but in reality the guy had said "blues en si" (B in Spanish). As a trumpeter I gave my lip a hard time trying to play in tune.

User Info Menu

well, typically the last bar of the tune has a subV /IV with it’s interpolated ii…..any time a dom7 resolves down a 5th or 1/2 step to a maj7 that becomes your new key….even if very temporarily.

User Info Menu

Theory is useful mostly as it gives us a handle to put on (what seems like a first) a myriad of random sounds. The labels and organization it provides can help to untangle the knot, but, this is all contingent on connecting the verbiage with the actual sounds.

A mistake folks make is trying to ‘impose’ the theory on themselves. The theory is just a subtle reflection of reality, not laws that need to be enforced. When you get sensitive to that reality (an ear thing) you start to feel it without cognition. This is something you can practice.

A great example of this (on our own instrument) is of course Wes….who didn’t have the book training, but had a profound understanding of harmony and melody through intense listening/playing and love of music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    He was mad at me today lol. I had to let him know that Autumn Leavz was in minor tho.

He was saying he wondered why E-maj notes like C# sounded good when the song's in G major. I said because it's in E minor.. And then I ran.
    Your teacher thought Autumn Leaves was a major key tune? Red flag.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Your teacher thought Autumn Leaves was a major key tune? Red flag.
    this is slightly obtuse. much is in G major (with a couple in C major) and plenty in E minor if we’re talking book key/changes. Like most, it’s not a static situation.
    Last edited by Chris236; 09-13-2023 at 10:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chris236
    well, typically the last bar of the tune has a subV /IV with it’s interpolated ii…..any time a dom7 resolves down a 5th or 1/2 step to a maj7 that becomes your new key….even if very temporarily.
    No

Or at least it’s complicated. I can’t regard a secondary dominant to subdominant as a true modulation because the way we return from that chord is very specific. In just friends we do not return via another ii V; we return via minor subdominant. So the chord remains subdominant.

Actually at no point do I think Just friends modulates.

of course if you a ii V guy you just cut and paste your ii V’s and it doesn’t matter.

User Info Menu

No
    wrong

User Info Menu

wrong
    haha I’ve expanded a little on why.

Chromatic chords - even applied dominants do not necessarily mean a modulation. It’s a grey area.

User Info Menu

haha I’ve expanded a little on why.

Chromatic chords - even applied dominants do not necessarily mean a modulation. It’s a grey area.
    wrong, you are confused I am afraid.

any maj7 chord, preceded by its related V7 chord, becomes the new one chord. Even though in this case, it’s only for a Measure. If the last measure is D-7 Db7 -> Cmaj7 technically at the top of the form you are in C. Just like a lot of tunes, you can put a handle on it based on the key that the vast majority of the song is in but it’s not a static state.
    Last edited by Chris236; 09-13-2023 at 12:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Just on its face that’s not right. A secondary dominant going to a IV doesn’t modulate you to the other key. I suppose you could say it tonicizes a new chord or whatever, but if any large number of people believed that made it a new key, then there wouldn’t be much need for a secondary dominant chord as a concept. I guess it’s just a theoretical thing anyway, but it probably makes a difference in practice.

I’m all over the #11 on that first chord in Just Friends. Than that backdoor ii-V. It doesn’t resolve where it’s expected to. You could I guess call that a ii-V in Bb, but then you lose a lot of the color inherent in how folks often interpret that cadence—the #11 on the F7 chord, for example.

Thinking of everything as a modulation kind of confuses a lot of the colorful things that come from thinking of things in context.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Just on its face that’s not right. A secondary dominant going to a IV doesn’t modulate you to the other key. I suppose you could say it tonicizes a new chord or whatever, but if any large number of people believed that made it a new key, then there wouldn’t be much need for a secondary dominant chord as a concept. I guess it’s just a theoretical thing anyway, but it probably makes a difference in practice.

I’m all over the #11 on that first chord in Just Friends. Than that backdoor ii-V. It doesn’t resolve where it’s expected to. You could I guess call that a ii-V in Bb, but then you lose a lot of the color inherent in how folks often interpret that cadence—the #11 on the F7 chord, for example.

Thinking of everything as a modulation kind of confuses a lot of the colorful things that come from thinking of things in context.
    you might play that #11 on the I chord if it makes you happy, but make no mistake, any major7 chord preceded by its five chord is the new one chord. The ‘I’ chord defines the key of the moment.

User Info Menu

you might play that #11 on the I chord if it makes you happy, but make no mistake, any major7 chord preceded by its five chord is the new one chord. The ‘I’ chord defines the key of the moment.
    A #11 ALWAYS makes me happy.

But on the real … it just seems like a reductive way of looking at it.

User Info Menu

I guess the question would be: what is the utility of thinking of a one-measure “key of the moment?”

What does that tell you that thinking of the chord in a broader context does not?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    I guess the question would be: what is the utility of thinking of a one-measure “key of the moment?”

What does that tell you that thinking of the chord in a broader context does not?
    Peter, it’s not about thinking. It’s about hearing and any maj7 chord preceded by It’s related V7 chord always sounds like the new Imaj7.

it is slightly obfuscated by the fact that, after one time through the form, you still have the key of G ringing in your ears-but the power of that five cord refocuses the ears to the new tonic.

User Info Menu

Peter, it’s not about thinking. It’s about hearing and any maj7 chord preceded by It’s related V7 chord always sounds like the new Imaj7.

it is slightly obfuscated by the fact that, after one time through the form, you still have the key of G ringing in your ears-but the power of that five cord refocuses the ears to the new tonic.
    Ah see I was a bit confused, because if it were about “hearing” then it would be a bit weird for someone to say that the way I hear it is unequivocally wrong.

But I get you now.

User Info Menu

lol, that would lead to some funny functional analysis. s/o should do it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    lol, that would lead to some funny functional analysis. s/o should do it.
    nothing funny about it, it’s a fact, and the analysis is simple. last bar is subV7/IV preceded by it’s related ii-7 resolving to the new one chord.