The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I'm liking altered ideas for major. Everyone knows lydian. Then there's melodic minor a minor 3rd down which gives you lydian augmented - raised 4 and 5. I'm really liking a major scale or chord a whole step up. It gives you the raised 4 and raised 1 lol. It sounds good. If you play a major 7 chord a whole step up from the main major 7 chord it gives you 9, #11, 13, '#15' lol. It sounds good!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Maj7#9#11 ftw

EDIT: the maj13#11#15 is Warne Marsh’s two octave major arpeggio no?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Maj7#9#11 ftw
    Sounds great, totally fits with the sound of the #11.

the maj13#11#15 is Warne Marsh’s two octave major arpeggio no?
    I haven't noticed it in the wild before.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    I haven't noticed it in the wild before.
    it’s not a common one

User Info Menu

I love the #15 sound! It's just moving around the circle of fifths really. Cmaj13#11#15 is:
    C E G B D F# A C#
    which is the same notes as:
    C G D A E B F# C#
    So it's kind of an extension of lydian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cfwoodland
    I love the #15 sound! It's just moving around the circle of fifths really. Cmaj13#11#15 is:
    C E G B D F# A C#
    which is the same notes as:
    C G D A E B F# C#
    So it's kind of an extension of lydian.
    you mentioned elsewhere that this sound was getting more common. Could you give an example?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    you mentioned elsewhere that this sound was getting more common. Could you give an example?
    Yes! #15s (like the one mentioned here) are getting more popular because of Jacob Collier's concept of super-ultra-hyper-mega-meta-lydian (or more precisely, it's derivative, super-lydian). Super-lydian is essentially another way of describing this extended lydian sonority (by that I mean, 1, 2, 3, #4, 5, 6, 7, #8). Jacob often refers to this added note as a #15, and it is common in much of his music.

A specific example of a Dmaj7#11#15 chord being used in a song is "Hideaway" by Jacob Collier, at around 6:10, in the line "Maybe you can come to stay" on the word "you".

User Info Menu

Just done a tune that finished on an Eb6. I substituted that with half a bar each of EM7 and EbM9#5.

The EM7 is a known move then I played an EbM9 and put a G maj triad over it. The EM7 sets you up for something unusual to happen, so when the #5 arrives it sounds lovely. Natural but interesting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cfwoodland
    Yes! #15s (like the one mentioned here) are getting more popular because of Jacob Collier's concept of super-ultra-hyper-mega-meta-lydian (or more precisely, it's derivative, super-lydian). Super-lydian is essentially another way of describing this extended lydian sonority (by that I mean, 1, 2, 3, #4, 5, 6, 7, #8). Jacob often refers to this added note as a #15, and it is common in much of his music.

A specific example of a Dmaj7#11#15 chord being used in a song is "Hideaway" by Jacob Collier, at around 6:10, in the line "Maybe you can come to stay" on the word "you".
    i almost added ‘apart from Jacob collier’ to my last post lol.

The ‘#15’ scale idea does date back in jazz to at least Tristano (the two octave scales in John Klopotowski’s book on Warne Marsh, I assume he got them from Tristano.) So I assume they must show up somewhere in Triatano school stuff.