The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 132

User Info Menu

Hi gentlemen.

For some time now I have been really into what Charles Altura sounds like. I try to follow his lines and the way of articulation. But I'm curious what you hear in his lines? What harmonic tools does he use? What scales do you hear?
    Does anybody have an idea?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, F,
    I hear an annoying Rock-based guitarist who likes to play fast and lacks musicality. How much deeper do you want to go?
    Marinero

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, F,
    I hear an annoying Rock-based guitarist who likes to play fast and lacks musicality. How much deeper do you want to go?
    Marinero
    Yup, same here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by freud
    Hi gentlemen.

For some time now I have been really into what Charles Altura sounds like. I try to follow his lines and the way of articulation. But I'm curious what you hear in his lines? What harmonic tools does he use? What scales do you hear?

Hey thanks for the clips. I really enjoyed the second (haven’t listened to the first yet) for exactly my type of organic, funky electric jazz. Reminds me a little of 70s Miles and Chris Potter underground. Blanchard is such a heavy musician.

Alturas playing here reminds me a little bit of Kevin Eubanks, tonally at least . It’s a bit less shreddy than his playing on other things that I’ve heard. Maybe a bit of John Abercrombie on the ballad. I like it.

Tbh you’d get more out of this if you spent some time transcribing some lines rather than asking the people that hang out here lol.

FWIW I hear a lot of intervallic use of chord scales and a mess of bop scales. Lots of fourths, triad patterns through the scale, melodic minor modes and so on. It’s all fairly straightforward theoretically by which I mean you won’t need to buy any new books lol (in so much as I can tell at first listen) but learned to a very high level.
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 05-22-2022 at 11:03 AM.

User Info Menu

I enjoyed both clips a lot. Thanks for introducing me to a new-for-me player.

The first clip reminded me of this:

I also hear a lot of Middle Miles there. I'm not particularly knowledgable about that kind of playing, but I think a lot of what I like comes from chord scales thru 'non-functional' chord changes. I think Wayne's tunes and The Quintet's playing from this era naturally lead to something like this.

I really appreciate that some young people are interested in exploring that. I think it's clear they've done the homework.

User Info Menu

Here he is on a standard with Ben Wendel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    [

Altura_U&DaNight.pdf [Transcription!]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B

I still hear an annoying Rock-based guitarist who likes to play fast and lacks musicality.

NOT! (but I'm sure some thick headed wantabees will still only hear that).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, F,
    Marinero
    Out of interest, what makes you consider him to be a Rock-based guitarist? It doesn't sound much like Rock to me. His lines may sound a little automated at times but other guitarists of note have had a similar style and advanced technique without being classifed as Rock-based. I do hope you respond as I may be missing something obvious

User Info Menu

Hes an excellent modern player in the Mike Moreno vein. I've liked him since I first heard him with Ambrose Akinmusire a few years ago.

Theres no scales unique to his style, he's approaching modern, key center based music using the same stuff folks have been taught for 40 years. He just uses it interestingly. When he's comping there's lots of fourths and suspended sounds, but again, those are dictated by the music he's playing.

User Info Menu

Nerd Jazz, right? Which is OK, after all, it's ubiquitous. The thing that stumps me is when I'm made by others to feel like I'm the one being uncool for not being hip to it. FFS, it's Nerd Jazz, and only a nerd could think it's cool (not that there's anything wrong with being a nerd...)

User Info Menu

Damn good "nerd jazz"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Damn good "nerd jazz"

See, to me, this is almost "cool" hehe, the only nerdy part was the guitar...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Nerd Jazz, right? Which is OK, after all, it's ubiquitous. The thing that stumps me is when I'm made by others to feel like I'm the one being uncool for not being hip to it. FFS, it's Nerd Jazz, and only a nerd could think it's cool (not that there's anything wrong with being a nerd...)
    I see the ole switcheroo. You make me feel like a nerd - so NO - it’s you, you who are the nerds ahahaha

TBF I don’t actually like any music, I just see it as a vehicle for making other people uncomfortable. That’s what it’s all about!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    See, to me, this is almost "cool" hehe, the only nerdy part was the guitar...
    Tbf this is usually the case with geek-tar

User Info Menu

When I wrote 'Nobody has bad tone' in another thread, I should have known somebody would prove me wrong.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    TBF I don’t actually like any music, I just see it as a vehicle for making other people uncomfortable. That’s what it’s all about!
    As Neil Innes once said, 'I've suffered for my art; now it's your turn.'

User Info Menu

Well I don’t know, but when I see a player has played with Chick Corea, Blanchard, Ambrose etc, I tend to come to the conclusion they must have something going for them.

(I mean I also quite like his playing so there is that.)

i mean sometimes I hear a feted player and think ‘what’s all the fuss about?’ and then I reflect upon all the jazz legends I’ve played with (not), the fact that I’m essentially a weirdo with a Focusrite and maybe perhaps my negative opinion isn’t really terribly relevant or interesting.

just a thought

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I see the ole switcheroo. You make me feel like a nerd - so NO - it’s you, you who are the nerds ahahaha

I think I remember seeing a guy wearing a T-Shirt that said "Nerd is the new cool". It was around 1983. That's only 40 years ago, so , yeah, maybe it still is. My bad....

User Info Menu

Apparently he has a degree in Anthropology from Stanford University.

(there’s probably a bebop-related joke there somewhere but I can’t think of one right now).

I only listened to a bit of his playing in the first clip (got to rush off somewhere), I quite liked it, although it seemed a bit at times like the same patterns being repeated a lot. Maybe a bit more space and variety in lines is just my preference. But I’ll give it a proper listen later.

User Info Menu

Well, as usual on the internet and particularly this place, none of the people making the harshest condemnations of Charles have any documented postings of their own transcendent playing for comparison, so I don’t think their opinion counts for much at all.

User Info Menu

I'm sure she said 'And that's Kush Abadey on drugs' :-)

User Info Menu

Here's the same line-up except with Lage Lund on guitar. Compare, contrast, etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by freud
    Hi gentlemen.

Two great music bands.
    The guitarist plays brilliantly in both bands without losing his style of playing.
    A very musical and sensitive guitarist.
    Someone wrote that the second clip reminds Miles from the 70's.
    For me it has nothing to do with the music of Miles, except that Blanchard also plays the trumpet.
    It is very good that there are interesting musicians offering a different way of playing and sound.
    Besides, it's very nice fresh music.
    Thanks for the links.
    ps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso
    Out of interest, what makes you consider him to be a Rock-based guitarist? It doesn't sound much like Rock to me. His lines may sound a little automated at times but other guitarists of note have had a similar style and advanced technique without being classifed as Rock-based. I do hope you respond as I may be missing something obvious
    Hi, I,
    A fair question for a music forum so, I will provide you with an example for your own comparison and judgment without, for me, an obvious explanation other than the music. What do you think?
    Marinero