The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello,

im wondering if anyone can make a recommendation. I’m looking for a more traditional “classical” oriented theory reference book that’s not a textbook. I have the Kostka-Payne textbook from my college years but find it very dense as far aside as a reference, being that it’s full of mini tests and exercises etc…
    Many of the reference books I’ve looked at seem overly basic, like the alfreds theory books. I guess what I’m looking for is something that covers the basics, but also covers the more advanced concepts like quartal harmony, the Italian, German 6ths, etc. but without all the college textbook fluff. This would be mainly a reference for myself and future students should a question come up regarding theory.
    anyone have any ideas?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Piston?

User Info Menu

This is the book I learned classical theory from

The AB Guide to Music Theory Part 2

covers all the bases iirc

User Info Menu

This is the book I used. It’s pretty good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Piston?
    And Persichetti. Ernst Toch's Shaping Forces in Music is also great. I don't know if these are too "textbook" but a generation ago, these were considered the essentials for any serious improvisior.

User Info Menu

When I lived in NY late 70's early 80's Charles Colin publishers had an extensive publishing house with many many theory books that were full of musical examples for the practicing musician. I'd go in there and find filing cabinets full of serious and very no nonsense books, each one of them rewarding and well written to address the needs of the improvising musician.
    Products – Charles Colin Music

User Info Menu

Amazon.com
    Mark Levine's book, great reference. Quite comprehensive
    Traditional Theory Books-screen-shot-2022-03-11-8-20-36-pm-png