The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm working on practicing to a drum track and trying to classify what bpm is what to target certain grooves. I'm leaving out up for now. I'm thinking:

60-70 range: ballad
    80-90 range: slow med
    100-110 range: med
    120+: med up

General ranges not exact and leaving wiggle room. Obviously there's slow ballads below 60, and up approaching and around 200, but I'm trying to do basic classifications to practice stuff that I usually play. What do you think?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    I'm working on practicing to a drum track and trying to classify what bpm is what to target certain grooves. I'm leaving out up for now. I'm thinking:

60-70 range: ballad
    80-90 range: slow med
    100-110 range: med
    120+: med up

General ranges not exact and leaving wiggle room. Obviously there's slow ballads below 60, and up approaching and around 200, but I'm trying to do basic classifications to practice stuff that I usually play. What do you think?
    I think I'd put med-up a bit higher...maybe 150-200?

"Up" seems to mean well north of 200, I feel...but I could be wrong.

User Info Menu

Snap your fingers and you'll know!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I think I'd put med-up a bit higher...maybe 150-200?

"Up" seems to mean well north of 200, I feel...but I could be wrong.
    Yeah I’d put medium around 100-160 and medium up 160-200. But I agree it’s a gray area and depends on various factors. An experienced professional might feel 240 to be the lower end of up but to many others, up is anything north of 160.

Maybe I'm slow.

User Info Menu

Get yourself an app called Drumgenius. They’ve got all sorts of grooves sorted by Tempo. Medium up is something around 160.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

DrumGenius is a great app. It’s great for generating ideas for tunes and so on as well. ‘Oh this is a cool groove’ and you write a tune.