The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have been learning gypsy jazz and jazz in general for about six months now. I understand playing the changes with arpeggios, but otherwise my theory is very limited.

I've transcribed this solo and I'm curious about what Jimmy is playing over the D7 - Gm6 section from 2:25-2:28 and how it works? Is that a Gmaj7 inversion?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

He briefly hits a Db on the 3rd string 11th fret, then does a downward rake from the 1st string to the 3rd string on a rootless D7#5#9 chord (using the shape x.x.x.11.11.13), then from the F# on the 11th fret of the 3rd string he is doing a downward run using D7alt notes into G minor, i.e. descending: F#, F, Eb, D, C, Bb, A, G.

Then at the G note he plays an ascending G minor line.

Pretty standard lines on a V-i but of course he is playing it very very fast!
    Last edited by grahambop; 01-26-2022 at 04:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    He briefly hits a Db on the 3rd string 11th fret, then does a downward rake from the 1st string to the 3rd string on a rootless D7#5#9 chord (using the shape x.x.x.11.11.13), then from the F# on the 11th fret of the 3rd string he is doing a downward run using D7alt notes into G minor, i.e. descending: F#, F, Eb, D, C, Bb, A, G.

Then at the G note he plays an ascending G minor line.

Pretty standard lines on a V-i but of course he is playing it very very fast!
    Thanks for this. Well transcribed and reported!

I would add only, in case it's of value to the OP, that Dalt is an Ebmelodic minor scale starting on the D.

D Eb F Gb Ab Bb C.

D7#5#9 is D F# A# C F or, respelled, D Gb Bb C F.

So, if it helps to think about this, the notes are from Dalt (7th mode Ebmelmin) and spell out a chord that occurs within Dalt.

You could substitute any other chord from within that scale (Dalt or Ebmelmin, same notes) and it will work.

User Info Menu

The descending line he plays from the top of that chord (i.e. F on the 1st string 13th fret) down to the Eb is essentially the ‘Cry Me A River’ lick. You can hear this in loads of solos. Miles Davis used to do it a lot. (The whole descending lick would be F, Eb, Bb, Gb, F, Eb.)

As you say, it’s all from Eb melodic minor.

User Info Menu

Rookie Question. I've been playing guitar for 40 years but still have limited theory. Going to a new open jam and several of the players are skilled Jazz Musicians, I'm hoping to find a minimum number of scales to play over the Rosenberg version of this song. I see above the Eb melodic minor scale, but wondering if there are some other scales I would need to play over the changes. Most of the music I've played has only required that I find the key and can camp out on one scale per song (with embellishment).

We played it last week and I played pretty well but I could tell I wasn't dialed in.