The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

UPDATED, an excerpt from my teaching syllabus.
    Last edited by rintincop; 01-27-2022 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Changed text font to Arial

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You can also include the whole list of tertian diatonic chords of a diminished scale. This is rarely discussed but there are 16 diatonic triads in a diminished scale. There are also Maj 6 and dominant chords.
    Let's take the B H-W diminished scale. You got:
    Bdim
    Bmin
    Bmaj
    Bmaj6
    B7

Cdim

Ddim
    Dmin
    Dmaj
    ... etc.

These are useful for coming up with comping voicings inside the diminished contexts as well as creating lines.

User Info Menu

for me I found it easier to grasp the diminished scale/embedded chords and their inversions using all flats

so

C#dim7 Edim7 Gdim7 Bbdim7

changing the C# to Db...you can now see at a glance and reinforce your thinking as two dim chords a min third interval and two chords a flat five interval of the first two chords

Db E G Bb--- Db G--flat five -- E Bb--flat five

if you begin to "rip apart" the diminished scale and extract all the chords found in it.. the b5 b9 #9 tones of chords repeat often

Db Dim scale

Db Eb E Gb G A Bb C Db

Eb G A Db = Eb7b5 and A7b5

Gb Bb C E = Gb7b5 and C7b5

you can see the extended options you now have to solo over chords

and there are TWO tri-tone scales embedded in the dim scale which contain the 7b5 chords and provide another adventure in your improvisational journey

Eb E G A Bb Db

Gb G Bb C Db E

Explore further..there are over twenty more chords to find and use basic triads in major minor dom - extended and altered

I'm aware that the Inkpen font I've used can be hard to read and that I should use a more legible font such as Arial.
    What do you think?
    Last edited by rintincop; 01-22-2022 at 06:17 PM.

User Info Menu

This looks like Barry Harris materials translated into slightly more mainstream terminology? Would that be fair to say?

I’m all for it….

I’m not a huge fan of those ink pen fonts myself; I like a smart modernist san serif and engraved music notation, but I know a lot of jazzers seem to like these sorts of fonts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    I'm aware that the Inkpen font I've used can be hard to read and that I should use a more legible font such as Arial.
    What do you think?
    ”Diminshed” - the new woodshed? The font makes it harder to proofread, I guess.

User Info Menu

Yeah I think Arial/Helvetica would be easier to read. You can always keep the ink pen style notation.

dbl
    Last edited by rintincop; 01-27-2022 at 08:43 PM.

User Info Menu

I prefer the Arial + Inkpen version, but I would reserve the Inkpen for the chord symbols. That is, in the first example, Inkpen C for the symbol but Arial C for the explanation (currently in Inkpen). Also, as a guitarist, I would be happier with treble clef.

User Info Menu

You seem to have problems with the word ‘diminished’, that’s for sure...spelled it wrongly 14 times!

Dominant and symmetrical were also mis-spelt at least once.

Sorry, my job used to largely consist of not making any mistakes whatsoever, in anything! (It could cost a lot of money if I did...)

User Info Menu

I definitely find the arial easier to read.

User Info Menu

If I was looking for neat design I would match the font of the chord symbol text and the other text. There should be a setting buried somewhere in the bowels of a menu somewhere. If this is Sibelius, good luck finding it!

User Info Menu

My vote would be to lose inkpen entirely. It’s like writing in Comic Sans. It doesn’t look good for regular script and I’m also not a fan of it with chord symbols, especially in a textbook setting.

Also, triple check misspellings. Others have already mentioned the ones I found after a cursory look. Nothing undercuts the validity of your argument more than incorrect spelling or grammar.

Good luck with it all. Writing all this down is always a long and arduous journey.

Thanks everybody, good advice.

I changed the text font to Arial in my initial post.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    I changed the text font to Arial in my initial post.
    Much better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by setemupjoe
    My vote would be to lose inkpen entirely. It’s like writing in Comic Sans.
    i was going to say that lol… but then I thought it was too harsh…

User Info Menu

If you are self publishing this on your website or something (so you are doing the design work) I’d spend some time regularising the spacing of the text; lining everything up will do a lot to make it look polished.

User Info Menu

Couple of spellings, pages 1 and 4.

Diminished Theory-1-jpg

Diminished Theory-4-jpg

User Info Menu

Aren't you missing a bass clef on page 1?

Also, at the top of page 1, you've put 'This inverting diminished chord...'. Do you mean inverted? Or do you mean 'This inverting of the diminished chord'?