The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 151 to 156 of 156

User Info Menu

Tbh the older I get the more I like triads and even two note intervallic voicings (5 and 3 or 1 and 6/7, say) for comping. You can leave the door open for the soloist.

Especially for a guitarist or a pianist.

Otoh if the soloist isn’t playing any jazz, it’s not like playing a m13 chord is going to help.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Why is C major the key with no flats or sharps instead of A major?

History - Evolution - Convention. Accept it and move on.

FWIW I always took alterations as being compared with notes from the major scale, regardless of context. Except for V7 of course which always implies it's relationship to the I chord - hence why it's never written as "Vb7"...

User Info Menu

Why are there black and white notes on the piano?

Why does the guitar have (mostly) six strings and a dumbass tuning?

These are interesting questions for a dweeb like me, but I think it’s important to remember that knowing why doesn’t make you better at playing the instrument.

Otoh it might be good for YouTube video essays. Thus Adam Neely. You can watch infinite Adam Neely and never become any better at playing. I love his channel btw, this isn’t a diss.

User Info Menu

One theory is that, at the time, A natural minor was the more important scale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    One theory is that, at the time, A natural minor was the more important scale.
    is that the Aolian ?

User Info Menu

No it’s more complicated than that afaik