The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Photonic
    I love this
    Are you going to tell us where it comes from?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Well if you are referring to my original post, that is just a tiny snippet from a well known teacher on truefire on an easy strum along lesson for Green Dolphin Street

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Some bass players may give you a hard time if you play the roots. But you can always play the Barry Harris card and make them look like they don't know what they are talking about. Ha ha.

Nevertheless, I think rootless voicings are good things to have in your comping arsenal.
    Knowing it was a controversial subject (playing roots while with a bass player) I intentionally asked Barry (around 2005) what he thought of it.

He said something like (paraphrasing) 'I've played with the best bass players in the world (names three) and they are usually looking over my shoulder to see what I'm playing'.

I've not worried about the shape of a voicing since.

True comping liberation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    'I've played with the best bass players in the world (names three) and they are usually looking over my shoulder to see what I'm playing'.
    That's what you might call ambiguous!

User Info Menu

Well if you are referring to my original post, that is just a tiny snippet from a well known teacher on truefire on an easy strum along lesson for Green Dolphin Street
    So we're probably talking about this:

Learn How to Play On Green Dolphin Street on Guitar - TrueFire

Are you on part 1, 2, or 3?

Doesn't Frank answer questions like yours? He should. I always worry a bit when people pay for something but then feel they need to go outside the course to understand it!

Actually this one of Frank's is on Jamplay and one of their moderators just answered my written-in question saying many of the things posted here. I am a Jamplay member and have noticed that some of the Truefire teachers' song videos are showing up on Jamplay. I understand that the two companies now have some type of umbrella arrangement and some Truefire material is now showing up on Jamplay. Thus I have no direct contact with Frank. But eventually I might join his Jazz Studio channel on Truefire.

Well while we are on the topic, I have not gotten any answers to my post here on Frank's alternative offering of the Big Jersey Guitar Club "let's practice" series or his other 8-10weeks courses at that website. Do you have any experience with them? I was really surprised no one has chimed in with experience there since Frank appears to be such a revered teacher.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    That's what you might call ambiguous!
    The idea 'don't play roots when playing with a bass player' Barry clearly thought was nonsense.

User Info Menu

Actually this one of Frank's is on Jamplay and one of their moderators just answered my written-in question saying many of the things posted here. I am a Jamplay member and have noticed that some of the Truefire teachers' song videos are showing up on Jamplay. I understand that the two companies now have some type of umbrella arrangement and some Truefire material is now showing up on Jamplay. Thus I have no direct contact with Frank. But eventually I might join his Jazz Studio channel on Truefire.
    To be honest, I think, if you're going to do one of Frank's courses, that direct communication with him might be best. I think it's what I'd do, otherwise you get interpreters who may not be that good.

I have not gotten any answers to my post here on Frank's alternative offering of the Big Jersey Guitar Club "let's practice" series or his other 8-10weeks courses at that website. Do you have any experience with them?
    No experience personally, no. Where was your post? Is it on another thread?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    The idea 'don't play roots when playing with a bass player' Barry clearly thought was nonsense.
    I mean, were they looking over his shoulder to see what the hell he was going to do next (!) or looking to see what to play themselves.

Point is, whose responsibility is it to check on the music? If I were a bass player do I anxiously check out every other player in case I play the wrong bass note? Or do they follow me to see if they need to put a root in?

I mean, how far does all this anxious peering around go? Which is probably actually a serious question.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    To be honest, I think, if you're going to do one of Frank's courses, that direct communication with him might be best. I think it's what I'd do, otherwise you get interpreters who may not be that good.

No experience personally, no. Where was your post? Is it on another thread?
    With the course on Jamplay there is no option for communication with Frank. They do not have that feature at least at this point.

Thanks for answering about Frank's Big Jersey Club site. Yes my post is in the "Getting Stared" section:

Difference between Frank Vignola Jazz Sudio & Big Jersey Guitar Club "Let's Practice"

User Info Menu

Well, for direct communication you have his Jazz Studio channel. As for the other thing, I'm afraid I know nothing about it.