The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Here is a link to a page of a website that shows a picture of a piano keyboard and lines pointing to where all the C Notes are. I rarely foray into reading standard notation, but lately, I have had to. This picture reminded me where middle C can be found, and you can use it to find the Cs above and below, as well as extrapolate it to other notes.

Maybe it can help you fellow poor standard notation readers like it helped me.

https://www.darkworld.com/mythos/sch...-Middle-C.html

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice chart. Thanks!

What a beautifully ridiculous instrument we play.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I learnt where the notes are by playing tunes. I can read music so if you work out tunes on a guitar in various places it doesn't take long to figure it out. If you don't read it and are doing it solely by ear then knowing what the actual notes are is redundant anyway.

(I think calling it a 'matrix of confusion' is rather negative. There's no need for confusion at all, just move one step at a time and be clear about it).

Charts will tell you where the notes are but it's obviously too much information to absorb all at once. Unless it's applied to notes on a page, especially when they make a good tune, it stays cerebral and conceptual. Relating it to something real helps fix it in the mind because the same things repeat themselves endlessly.

Also, going back to the chart all the time is unnecessary because a lot of it can be worked out by yourself. The whole issue with the guitar is that the same notes appear in several different places. That's another reason why learning it should be gradual and applied to something tangible.

Incidentally, using TAB all the time has the same effect. Just copying the fingering without relating it to the musical notation is equally meaningless. You'll be able to play the tune but you won't know what you're doing.

User Info Menu

Traditionally, many guitarists learn open/1st position first, often followed by movable shapes and forms. These movable shapes allow us to arrive at the correct place by such devices as locating the root. Knowing all the notes and intervals being played is not a given.

In my opinion, learning the architecture of guitar unisons and octaves can be transformational because every new content learned is then understood across the entire guitar fingerboard.
    Compared to piano, yes guitar is not so obvious, but knowing such things as the order of notes, key signatures, intervals, etc., combined with understanding of the way musical events are mirrored at the unison and octave, goes a long way to fingerboard comfort.
    The diagram brings together the stable elements of the musical staff and piano note location to the multiple guitar options available. The chart is notated at sounding pitch and not an octave above as is the guitar notation convention. I was told that Johnny Smith in a book made a case for writing guitar across two staffs at pitch, safe to assume that interesting thought never got much traction.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Incidentally, using TAB all the time has the same effect. Just copying the fingering without relating it to the musical notation is equally meaningless. You'll be able to play the tune but you won't know what you're doing.
    Indeed, its also someone else’s suggested fingering which may not allow you to consider a more ergonomic fingering that perhaps suits you better!

User Info Menu

Scientists speculate that one day in the future humans will play the C on the 20th fret of the 6th string

nice thing about classical guitar, only 3 middle Cs

Confusing is having to learn a different fingering for every key, guitar is much easier than piano

User Info Menu

I’m scared to click on a link that says ‘darkworld mythos’, I’m worried it will take me into some weird H.P. Lovecraft site.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I’m scared to click on a link that says ‘darkworld mythos’, I’m worried it will take me into some weird H.P. Lovecraft site.
    You will go mad from the revelation.

User Info Menu

Ok I see what you mean.

Nice little chart showing standard notation notes on guitar-15eba2bd-9698-49b9-8023-cfa14c8df45a-jpeg

User Info Menu

Nice little chart showing standard notation notes on guitar-always-sunny-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Option Paralysis, Thy name is Guitar!

As has been said many times, guitar is the easiest instrument to learn to play in a rudimentary way, and the hardest to learn to play at a high level. Also, it's fun, some days.