The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is a great video because it's got segments from actual popular tunes in these time signatures so you can just hear the differences:
    Last edited by Tal_175; 12-14-2021 at 10:55 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

wheffer vs whether

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    This is a great video because it's got segments from actual popular tunes in these time signatures so you can just hear the differences:
    I think a couple of his examples are 12/8 rather than 6/8 (which is splitting hairs, I suppose), and one struck me as a 4/4 shuffle beat (the John Mayer one). I understand the difference in theory between simple-triple and compound-duple, but in practice (performance), the distinction is blurrier than he makes it out to be. As for 3 against 4, all I can say is "pass the god-damn butter."

User Info Menu

IDK... he describes it too complicated for my taste.

I mean, 3/4 is a waltz, while 6/8 is basically a 2-beat and 12/8 is a 4-beat with the beats tribbled (if that word exists).

All you have to do is feeling the accents. If I'm unsure, I try to feel the piece as a "Viennese waltz", if it's a 6/8 or 12/8, forget it.

Try dancing a waltz over All Blues!

User Info Menu

The video does an excellent job of describing western notation conventions
    in regard to these meters, where they differ and where they overlap.

In some musical traditions, the integration between duple/triple meter is so deep inside the DNA of the culture that it is conceived as a unified event and not a polyrhythm.