The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 151 to 154 of 154

User Info Menu

Chromatic scale-it is also very interesting.
    I think it fits everywhere if it is used correctly.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Chromatic scale-it is also very interesting.
    I think it fits everywhere if it is used correctly.
    There is one powerful thought.

User Info Menu

As someone who primarily picked up the guitar as an accompanying instrument (specifically, to accompany myself – or others –singing), I learned basic chords from beginning guitar books, learning Jimmy Crack Corn, Beautiful Brown Eyes, etc.

I learn to read music at a young age (piano and french horn), but found playing by ear a much faster way to learn music. So I essentially abandoned reading music for the most part. After the age of 15, the guitar was my main instrument, with occasional forays into keyboards and string bass, spending a lot of my formative musical years playing bluegrass.

Several years ago I put together a guitar trio, with two friends who knew nothing about theory or jazz – mostly rock and finger style guitarists; but my focus was on GASB. So I had to teach them these songs (after I learned them). My function as guitarist (I was the only singer in the group, unfortunately) was bass and rhythm, which was fine, since I was used to playing bluegrass and flat picking across all 6 strings. The other two played leads and, it turned out, inner voices.

When we first started, I knew almost nothing about jazz voicings and chord spellings – I could play all those dim, aug, 9, m7b5 chords but didn't know what they were called, since I built them up from the bass by ear. So I would have the other two, when they weren't playing solos, only play partial chords that complemented each other. So I'd have one play an Am triad on the top 3 strings at the 5th fret, the other played a D-F#-C on the top 3 strings at the eighth fret, and I would play a classic folk-music C7 shape up two frets, with the top open, for a D9 chord with bass notes of F#, A, or D.

I basically started thinking of these chords as simpler chords made more complicated by the bass note. An F#m7b5 was an Am with an F# in the bass, for example; a Bbm7b9 was a Dm with a Bb in the bass. But I also started realizing that an F#m7b5 was a D9 without the root note; and hey, it was also an Am6. So I was thinking about simple substitutions without knowing I was doing that, realizing that those chords I had built up using 5 or 6 strings could have different purposes using only 4 strings.

The 7#11 was a big revelation to me – to realize that a chord I was playing in Ipanema, created by playing that old-favorite folk-music C7 with an Gb grabbed by thumb in the bass, actually had a name – Gb7#11. For me, in Ipanema, I was combining two methods of resolving to the tonic (F, in this case): the V chord, C7, and the bii, Gb. There was no real problem, since that particular inversion of the C7 on the guitar had no G (but – horrors! – two Cs).

Another AHA! moment was realizing that if I moved that C7 shape up to its tritone, Gb, and grabbed the C with my thumb on the low E string, I had a C7#11, which sounded suspiciously like the Gb7#11. But I realized the limitation: if playing a C7 over the Gb, best to use a formulation of the C7 chord that leaves out the G; likewise, in the C7#11, leave out the Db in the Gb7 chord formulation.

So, all along, I was thinking about the functions of these chords I was figuring out: Where is this chord going? or How do I want to approach that chord? without being at all aware of the theory behind it. I had learned basic classical theory, and actually love it, but hadn't been aware of jazz approaches to theory. I was working in a practical way, just figuring out easy musical solutions to what I heard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ukena
    As someone who primarily picked up the guitar as an accompanying instrument (specifically, to accompany myself – or others –singing), I learned basic chords from beginning guitar books, learning Jimmy Crack Corn, Beautiful Brown Eyes, etc.

I learn to read music at a young age (piano and french horn), but found playing by ear a much faster way to learn music. So I essentially abandoned reading music for the most part. After the age of 15, the guitar was my main instrument, with occasional forays into keyboards and string bass, spending a lot of my formative musical years playing bluegrass.

Several years ago I put together a guitar trio, with two friends who knew nothing about theory or jazz – mostly rock and finger style guitarists; but my focus was on GASB. So I had to teach them these songs (after I learned them). My function as guitarist (I was the only singer in the group, unfortunately) was bass and rhythm, which was fine, since I was used to playing bluegrass and flat picking across all 6 strings. The other two played leads and, it turned out, inner voices.

When we first started, I knew almost nothing about jazz voicings and chord spellings – I could play all those dim, aug, 9, m7b5 chords but didn't know what they were called, since I built them up from the bass by ear. So I would have the other two, when they weren't playing solos, only play partial chords that complemented each other. So I'd have one play an Am triad on the top 3 strings at the 5th fret, the other played a D-F#-C on the top 3 strings at the eighth fret, and I would play a classic folk-music C7 shape up two frets, with the top open, for a D9 chord with bass notes of F#, A, or D.

I basically started thinking of these chords as simpler chords made more complicated by the bass note. An F#m7b5 was an Am with an F# in the bass, for example; a Bbm7b9 was a Dm with a Bb in the bass. But I also started realizing that an F#m7b5 was a D9 without the root note; and hey, it was also an Am6. So I was thinking about simple substitutions without knowing I was doing that, realizing that those chords I had built up using 5 or 6 strings could have different purposes using only 4 strings.

The 7#11 was a big revelation to me – to realize that a chord I was playing in Ipanema, created by playing that old-favorite folk-music C7 with an Gb grabbed by thumb in the bass, actually had a name – Gb7#11. For me, in Ipanema, I was combining two methods of resolving to the tonic (F, in this case): the V chord, C7, and the bii, Gb. There was no real problem, since that particular inversion of the C7 on the guitar had no G (but – horrors! – two Cs).

Another AHA! moment was realizing that if I moved that C7 shape up to its tritone, Gb, and grabbed the C with my thumb on the low E string, I had a C7#11, which sounded suspiciously like the Gb7#11. But I realized the limitation: if playing a C7 over the Gb, best to use a formulation of the C7 chord that leaves out the G; likewise, in the C7#11, leave out the Db in the Gb7 chord formulation.

So, all along, I was thinking about the functions of these chords I was figuring out: Where is this chord going? or How do I want to approach that chord? without being at all aware of the theory behind it. I had learned basic classical theory, and actually love it, but hadn't been aware of jazz approaches to theory. I was working in a practical way, just figuring out easy musical solutions to what I heard.
    To me this is the ideal way to use or construct theory; through the demands of practical music making, with the emphasis on what do in a given situation rather than on theory per se.

If I was trying to sound clever in a paper I might say ‘Phronesis’ - which is also a very good contemporary jazz trio incidentally.