The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 43

User Info Menu

hi guys just trying to get my head around certain chord/scale relationships

for example im trying to look at a progression im playing and see what the chords in the scale

its is the c nine tone scale

1. what are the chords in the progression

2. Is there a place online i can find these things out for different scales like the taishikicho scale or the bebop minor scale

again i might be completely missing something here

so all help is appreciated

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just build the chords yourself... Most chords in jazz are built in 3rds( we voice in different intervals sometimes) Ex. scale G mixolydian, G.A.B.C.D.E.F.G. chord built on 1st scale tone or G is, G,B,D,F,A,C,E or G13. If you want a 7th chord simple build up to the 7th. G,B,D,F, or G7. The 2nd. note or A is called the 9th, the 4th tone or F is called the 11th and the 6th note or E is called the 13th. Usually when their are extra notes in the scale there are two versions of a note. ex, in C bebop Maj. the G# is either #5 or b6. Reg

Hi Reg
    As my knowledge of theory is very limited, i didnt fully understand what you meant,

Could you explain a little more clearly please

i think my question also refered to chord progressions ie

in c major cmaj7 dm7 etc....

User Info Menu

Could you specify which 9 tone scale you are referring too?

c nine tone

User Info Menu

Hey d.am... Sorry if wasn't clear... was runnin out door to gig...
    What I meant was. Take the scale, what ever scale and build the vertical collection or mode of each note of the scale.
    C maj. C,D,E,F,G.A,B,C, In jazz, chords are built in 3rds.(C maj. scale is built in 2nds) So construct the scale in 3rds... C, E, G, B, D, F, A. or 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th. Chords can be what ever you use, Cmaj9 Cmaj7 etc...Next go through the same process but start on D. The same notes but starting on D, E, F, G, A, B, C, build in 3rds..D, F, A, C, E, G, B. Same numbers 1st, 3rd, 5th etc... That would be D dorian or the 2nd mode of C maj. Now take this process and apply to your nine note scale. Usually scales that have more than 7 notes have added notes, for example; C bebop Maj. C,D,E,F,G,G#,A,B,C. The G# or could be called Ab is either an added #5 or b13( the 6th note) When you build your chords you have two versions of some chords. Ex; The I chord has root C, the 3rd or E, but the 5th can be either,G or G# or both, the 7th would be B etc... If you chose to call G#, a flat 13( 6th note of scale), 5th would be G and when you get to 13 you would use either Ab or A or both and spell chord accordingly. I don't know which nine note scale your making reference to, or I would write it out for you...You understand things better when you take the time to go through the process yourself..Reg

User Info Menu

what's a 9 tone scale anyway? it's gonna be some hybrid deal or a scale with passing tones built in (like the bebop scales), not a collection of pitches that has it's own harmony.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by d.am
    c nine tone
    What is a "c nine tone"?

they way i got to it is put into Guitar Chords in the chords to scale section the chords for a particular song i was writing and it threw up that it was in the C nine tone scale

User Info Menu

One such 9 tone scale has 3 augmented chords sort of upping the ante on the 2 adjacent augmented chord 6 tone augmented scale.

Augmented Scale: C Eb E G G# B different spellings are possible depending how you define the root of each augmented triad (C+ and Eb+)

Jerry Bergonzi referred to this as a Nine Tone Augmented Scale: C D Eb E F# G Ab Bb B (C+ and D+ and Eb+)

I did a google search on C nine tone scale and found this:
    C D D# E F# G G# A B

Many chords are possible

From C it has:

a major and minor 3rd
    a b5 and 5 and #5
    a major 7
    a major 9 and #9
    a #11
    a b13 and a 13

I would apply this process to every degree and build chords from there.

Just on the 3 note level from C we get:
    C major
    C augmented
    C major b5
    C minor
    C diminished
    C suspended #4

User Info Menu

That nine tone scale is based on the three most common passing notes.

F# as in the descending bebop scale (#5)
    Ab (harmonic minor scale interval)
    Db (Blue scale b5 of aeolian scale)

User Info Menu

I have nine toes. Do I win?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by d.am
    they way i got to it is put into Guitar Chords in the chords to scale section the chords for a particular song i was writing and it threw up that it was in the C nine tone scale
    There's your problem. Just because you pushed in a couple chords and some scale came out the other end doesn't give it any validity.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    what's a 9 tone scale anyway? it's gonna be some hybrid deal or a scale with passing tones built in (like the bebop scales), not a collection of pitches that has it's own harmony.

ditto.

i dont know about the other scales but i'm thinking that the bebop scales have an added tone for melodic and rythmic reasons, not harmonic. the added tones are chromatic tones. they enable you to play chord tones on the beat when running the scale in eigths or sixteenths, assuming that you start on a beat.

User Info Menu

That chords to scale tool mentioned in reply #9 is useless. I tried to enter a simple progression with a passing chord:

CMaj7 C#dim7 Dmin7 ....

And it gave up.

your right i tried a few different things and gave up on it to too! the stuff that came out made it more confusing actually

User Info Menu

Spanky and me used to go over to the laundry to jam with our friend Chang, and he had this cool looking Chinese banjo with a dragon painted on it. I remember it played these awsome sounding 9 tone scales. It sure sounded righteous along with tuba and washboard!

User Info Menu

did you mean a c scale with nine tones, or a scale that goes with a c9 chord?

User Info Menu

Suggestion: Go to yahoo and type in INTRODUCTION to the SCALE SYLLABUS PDF. it is only two pages but it is great quick reference for scale/chord. You mentioned your knowledge of theory was lacking.
    There are tons of music theory pdfs for free on the web. Some address general theory others are geared more towards Jazz. -Scott

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 3shiftgtr
    did you mean a c scale with nine tones, or a scale that goes with a c9 chord?
    This is a thread that just won't die

The original poster revealed, but only in reply #9, that this mystery scale was conjured up by an online tool. As near as I can figger, this magic eight ball starts off with a list of scales (where from?) and then, as, you enter chords, it filters out the one which don't contain all the notes of the chords.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    This is a thread that just won't die
    Sorry BDLH, I should have quoted the OP. That is who I was directing my question to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 3shiftgtr
    Sorry BDLH, I should have quoted the OP. That is who I was directing my question to.
    No harm done. My basic take is that, often, the best way to answer a question is not to answer it at all, but to ask why the person is asking it. In this case, the OP didn't know much about the scale because it was rather random.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sandra
    good work all..........nice comments.........keep it up
    yes teacher.

User Info Menu

If we could only hand out gold stars for outstanding posts, like in elementary school.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    If we could only hand out gold stars for outstanding posts, like in elementary school.
    Haha this one is definitively a winner!