The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Does anybody remember Barry Harris address playing only diminished chords diatonically up the half-whole scale over a dominant chord? (Note: this has nothing to do with the famous "sixth diminished scale" concepts) For example, play over a C7 chord play Cdim7 C#dim7 Ebdim7 Edim7 F#dim7 Gdim7 Adim7 Bbdim7 (It's not the 6th diminished scale system, it's continuos diminished chords).
    Last edited by rintincop; 09-19-2021 at 10:59 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Scale of Diminished Chords?

User Info Menu

Double diminished iirc

Chromatic approach to the “important diminished “ describes it well in my mind.

“borrowing” all four notes

I'll nickname it: the diatonic chords of the diminished scale.

User Info Menu

The classical definition of diatonic is a bit annoying. It should just mean ‘belongs to the scale’ but I can’t really use it that way as an educator

(from Brittanica)

’Diatonic, in music, any stepwise arrangement of the seven “natural” pitches (scale degrees) forming an octave without altering the established pattern of a key or mode—in particular, the major and natural minor scales.’

However as there is little agreement in the way common terms like ‘guide tone’ and ‘avoid note’ are used in the jazz world … (well I try to use Berklee standard as much as appropriate, but not everyone signs up to that terminology.)

User Info Menu

For the last 50 years... many simply refer as Symmetrical Diminished.

For simple info. I like this guy

https://www.thejazzpianosite.com/jaz...inished-scale/

I tend to agree with Rintincop... term Diatonic has evolved.

I also tend to hear and use as an effect, an arranging performance technique.

Puzzling that he did all that teaching website development and his name is not shown.
    Last edited by rintincop; 09-20-2021 at 03:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    For the last 50 years... many simply refer as Symmetrical Diminished.

For simple info. I like this guy

https://www.thejazzpianosite.com/jaz...inished-scale/
    good link...add in all the other chords found in the dim scale (and the two tri-tone scales) .. lots of harmonic and improv possibilities

John Scofield has some exercises you can find on line called..as Reg said..Symmetrical Diminished
    Last edited by wolflen; 09-20-2021 at 11:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    Puzzling that he did all that teaching website development and his name is not shown.
    yea... I met him somewhere years ago... might be Down Under. Can't remember, I'll check phone, emails...I do know he has 6.5 million views, and he's just average player LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    I tend to agree with Rintincop... term Diatonic has evolved.
    It doesn't really matter, I just need to know how people are using the term. If it was up to me I'd probably change the meanings of several basic music terms because they are either confusing, ambiguous or dumb af.

(I'd start with 'tensions' yuck... Stupid name, only used because jazzers think they are too cool to say 'extensions')

It is needless to say, not up to me, so here we are.

Jazz often uses terms in different ways though - 'dominant chord' for example... How is Berklee using the term 'diatonic' these days?
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 09-21-2021 at 11:27 AM.

dbl post, moved to new thread
    Last edited by rintincop; 09-21-2021 at 12:06 PM.