The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 129 of 129

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I often feel people don't understand the role intuition plays in music.

Nothing about playing an instrument is inherently intuitive whether it's for Pat Methney, John Lennon or Joe Bloggs on JGO. We may find playing a G chord intuitive but it's only because we internalised the physical aspect of playing G early on. For a beginner it requires a lot of thought.

I find playing over ii-V-I's intuitive to the point where it requires little or no thought, so if I'm playing those progressions the truth is I don't think much at all. But I have spent A LOT of time practicing those things. For something less usual I might need to do some practice, but if I'm still thinking when I have to play that progression on stage, its not going to go well.

So theory is kind of - well it's at best a recipe for a cake. But you have to bake the cake.

Most people who are frustrated with their playing are simply thinking too much and haven't internalised things yet. Obviously practice time is limited, so it's a matter of knowing what to practice and focusing on that. You can do worse than blocking everything down to II-V's; has worked for a lot of players over the years.
    Yaz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I try to remember important parts of the melody i.e sharp 9 on Ebmaj7 bar 5 of if I should lose you, or bar 10 sharp 4 on Bbmaj7. Also im thinking about feel and touch to try and get a sound on the instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    "For me, when I'm playing well my thought process resembles "beep, ba-do be be bop ba-dee bop."

I agree, I'm firstly hearing my rhythmic
    phrasing.
    rhythm is the heart of music. I frequently don't focus my primary attention on that enough, and if you don't have that everything else you're playing is just going to suck. You have to have time. For some people that seems to come easily but for many people it's difficult. Knowing all of the scales does not equal music; music is notes played in time and how they relate to each other.

Time, groove, feel. What immediately distinguishes a jazz recording from a blues recording from a soul recording from a rock recording from a fusion recording in the first few seconds that you hear it? Time and groove and feel. You know within a half a bar whether a tune is bossa or swing, blues or rock just based on that. We all use the same 12 notes; that's not the distinguishing feature. Rhythm is.

User Info Menu

They're both important. I can tell from 1 block chord what style the music is. The greats could play all 8th notes with a triplet or 2 and have it be great because of the note choices. If you play jazz rhythms but only use minor pentatonic, it won't be jazz either.