The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 56 of 56

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James Haze
    I'm an advanced level player right up there with you bro. I'm a burnin' jazz musician So my playing is actually impeccable at this point.
    im always up for hearing some 'advanced' ‘burning' 'impeccable’ playing.
    please feel free to post a link to some of your playing for further enlightenment and erudition!
    Last edited by Jazzism; 11-03-2021 at 09:21 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Targuit or targuit’s ghost? Not sure it actually matters.

User Info Menu

It’s hard to post clips of your playing when you have to ask your mom to borrow the camera she uses for her Zoom meetings. Plus, it’s dark and the sound is no good in the basement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

OT, but I really enjoyed your Soundcloud clips, Jazzism!

User Info Menu

Reading music is the same as reading normal writing. You see a written sentence and .... you read it.... Period! Everything else is not reading but "deciphering".

We normally achieve this by spending endless hours in class as children in elementary school and practicing just that at home and elsewhere.

If you want to learn to read as an illiterate adult, it is much more difficult. The technical literature about that (Google helps you) speaks an eloquent language it is simply an oxen tour.

But it is possible, well-known examples (for reading music) testify to it, for example Jaco Pastorius, who also learned to read music only as an adult and already advanced musician. He described it in some interview as the most difficult task in his musical career.

But in principle it is a matter of practice and requires time and more time. There is (as far as I know) no shortcut.

The material you learn with (Realbook, whatever) doesn't play a big role in my opinion, it just mustn't be familiar, i.e. no music you already know. Therefore Leavitt is a good choice, among other things because he used only original material for exactly this reason. But also the textbooks of Bergonzi, David Baker (where I learned it) are perfect sources.

Quintessence: There is no shortcut. Grab a score of your choice, and be it Stravinsky or Bach, and start reading, just never stop!

Edit: Yeah... seeing rhythm grouping and melodic patterns and stuff, as described by other posters, all true. It's the equivalent of seeing words and sentences where at the beginning where letters. But it won't enter your brain without the doing and doing and doing again just like you did it with reading as a kid.

Or maybe just for me because I'm slow? Naaaa... I don't think so... or? :-)
    Last edited by DonEsteban; 11-06-2021 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Removed some stuf some folks could consider offensive...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    SNIP...
    The material you learn with (Realbook, whatever) doesn't play a big role in my opinion, it just mustn't be familiar, i.e. no music you already know. Therefore Leavitt is a good choice, among other things because he used only original material for exactly this reason. But also the textbooks of Bergonzi, David Baker (where I learned it) are perfect sources. ...SNIP
    Wondering, do you mean Mickey and not David, Baker?

And by Leavitt I assume you are suggesting "A Modern Method For Guitar" volumes 1, 2, and 3.
    A Modern Method for Guitar DVD-ROM (berklee.edu)