1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Hi forum,

    I'm trying to figure out the theory behind this chord sequence..

    Fm/Ab - Gm/Bb - Fm/C - C#dim - resolving to - Am - Dm

    (above is Fm with an Ab in bass and so on..)

    The part I don't get is the C#dim going to the Am ... How does that work in a music theory sense? It sounds great, but my theory tells me that the C#dim should go straight to the Dm ? Is the resolve on the Am an interrupted Cadence?!

    Any help would be great!

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    I guess it follows a melody? Things don't have to always work in a music theory sense. Is this from a Real Book? Are you sure it's right? C#dim moving to Am/C or Am/D keeps that bass moving upwards. I'd look to see if Bm7b5 E7, and/or Fm7 Bb7 would substitute for the C#dim. Good luck!

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by blur44
    Hi forum,

    I'm trying to figure out the theory behind this chord sequence..

    Fm/Ab - Gm/Bb - Fm/C - C#dim - resolving to - Am - Dm

    (above is Fm with an Ab in bass and so on..)

    The part I don't get is the C#dim going to the Am ... How does that work in a music theory sense? It sounds great, but my theory tells me that the C#dim should go straight to the Dm ? Is the resolve on the Am an interrupted Cadence?!

    Any help would be great!
    Context. What tune is this from? Let's have the whole thing, including the melody line. A lead sheet would be good.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Context. What tune is this from? Let's have the whole thing, including the melody line. A lead sheet would be good.
    Hi there, Thankyou very much for your replies!

    The track I am transcribing is this one - Jon Brion - Later Monday, from the I Heart Huckabees soundtrack. -



    See @38secs

    Thanks once again

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by vsaumarez
    I guess it follows a melody? Things don't have to always work in a music theory sense. Is this from a Real Book? Are you sure it's right? C#dim moving to Am/C or Am/D keeps that bass moving upwards. I'd look to see if Bm7b5 E7, and/or Fm7 Bb7 would substitute for the C#dim. Good luck!
    Hi there, many thanks for your reply. See above for the track I am transcribing. Best, S

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    So far I make it this, although some chords are ambiguous because of the bass notes or, indeed, the absence of them. Also the melody notes influence it. Some of the chords are power chords, I think, i.e. no 3rd.

    Disclaimer: I could be all wrong, of course. Check it!

    Dm - F - Bb - Bb/F
    Dm - F - Bb - Bb/F

    F - Bb - F - Bb
    F - Bb - Dm - G

    Dm - Em/Am - Bb - C
    Ab - Gm - Cm - C#m (or Ab - Gm - AbM7 - C#m)

    Dm - Em/A - F - C
    Ab - Bb - Fm - C#o (or Ab6 - Bb69 - Fm - C#o)

    Am - Dm etc.


    (If you play the C#o as a Bbo it goes back to the Am quite nicely: x1202x - x0221x)

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    The video is no longer available. Most likely it's what's called in theory biii diminished going to ii. As Ragman said it's clearer if you see it as Bbo going to Am.