Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Hi everyone,

I hope this will give you some concept of family chords.
    F7, Am7b5, Cm7, EbMaj7 (V7, Vii7b5, iim7, IVMaj7)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice playing Samdols.

How are you defining a "chord family", and are you saying that the four chords that you've listed represent 1,2, 4 or other distinct families?

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Delete this

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Nice playing Samdols.

How are you defining a "chord family", and are you saying that the four chords that you've listed represent 1,2, 4 or other distinct families?

Thanks.
    The chords are in the key of Bb, and noted as such; E.g. F7 is the V7 (5th dom7) in the key of Bb, Cm7 is the 2 minor 7th, etc...

User Info Menu

Sheryl Bailey uses these exact changes to demo her Microcosmic Bebop line concept.

User Info Menu

Dick Grove defined nine (9) "Chord Families", two (2) of which apply to those 4 chords.

Grove described A CHORD FAMILY as being made up of chords (including their plural substitutes) that FUNCTION THE SAME WAY IN A MAJOR OR MINOR KEY AREA. As long as these chords function the same way, they are interchangeable in their application. Grove defined nine chord families, their plural substitutes, available tensions and altered tensions, and optional chord scales.

The two chord families here are:
    The V7 Chord Family in Major
    The IImi7 Chord Family in Major

The Viimi7b5 is a plural substitute for V7 and is in the V7 family
    The IVMaj7 is a plural substitute for IImi7 and is in the IImi7 family
    Last edited by Donplaysguitar; 02-23-2021 at 10:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Samdols
    Hi everyone,

I hope this will give you some concept of family chords.
    F7, Am7b5, Cm7, EbMaj7 (V7, Vii7b5, iim7, IVMaj7)
    Nice lines!

Basically it’s any chords diatonic to the dominant scale, right? Any of these can be used in dominant and they all sound great.

That’s how Barry Harris teaches it anyway.

Don't sleep on triads. The Eb and Cm triads are extremely useful in particular over F7 and Cm7 F7

Also Bb sounds great as well lol. That’s my preferred choice for a Cm11 chord now....

I don’t think there’s much standardisation of the term ‘family’ in jazz. Barry uses family of dominants to talk about F7 Ab7 B7 D7

Sheryl Bailey’s family of four is F7 Am7b5 Cm7 Ebmaj7, building off the chord tones of F7

This four chord structure is probably the most useful thing I’ve ever learned in jazz....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    .. This four chord structure is probably the most useful thing I’ve ever learned in jazz....
    Interesting to read that! I've been walking the jazz path only a couple of years and it's one of the most profound and practical ideas I've encountered along the way as well. Not meaning to discount the dozens of other insights to be had from Barry Harris.

Since we're taking about families, and in Barry's way of thinking, "playing with your family", the "parental forms" of Pat Martino come to mind. Pat is organizing the sonic world using the geometry of the guitar fretboard. Prior to Barry, I used to think of related dominants as being derived from the diminished parent a half step up. Kind of the long way around!

User Info Menu

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    Interesting to read that! I've been walking the jazz path only a couple of years and it's one of the most profound and practical ideas I've encountered along the way as well. Not meaning to discount the dozens of other insights to be had from Barry Harris.

Since we're taking about families, and in Barry's way of thinking, "playing with your family", the "parental forms" of Pat Martino come to mind. Pat is organizing the sonic world using the geometry of the guitar fretboard. Prior to Barry, I used to think of related dominants as being derived from the diminished parent a half step up. Kind of the long way around!
    i actually meant the Sheryl Bailey thing, but the diminished symmetry thing is also super useful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I
    i actually meant the Sheryl Bailey thing, but the diminished symmetry thing is also super useful.
    Cool, where does she describe these? (i.e. what course or book)

Thx.