Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 78
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Or is it "synthetic" or "exotic"? Spell it in any order or mode, but what is it? The notes are:

    D E F G A Bb C C#

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Or is it "synthetic" or "exotic"? Spell it in any order or mode, but what is it? The notes are:

    D E F G A Bb C C#
    It is natural minor with a chromatic lead-tone/fill-in added...

    I do not find anything 'exotic' or 'synthetic' in it.

    To me scales mostly do not have colour on their own.. I believe we mostly associate then with some harmonic context even unconsiously and imply relationships.

    But I am not sure what you hear... you could make an example of a harmonic/melodic sound you hear in it..

  4. #3
    Jonah - thanks and I know, that is very practical and traditional of you. Call something what it is, right?

    But I am curious if there is a "jazz school approved 8-tone scale goofy-ass name".


    Let me see what I can do about un upload later today.

  5. #4

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    ....
    D E F G A Bb C C#
    If write the notes this way:

    D E F G A Bb C Db

    ... and rearrange the notes this way:

    F G A Bb C Db D E

    ...and notice these two arpeggios:


    F A C D (major 6th)
    G Bb Db E (diminished)

    It looks like something Barry Harry would talk about.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Jonah - thanks and I know, that is very practical and traditional of you. Call something what it is, right?

    But I am curious if there is a "jazz school approved 8-tone scale goofy-ass name".


    Let me see what I can do about un upload later today.
    If you wish you can call it an F bebop major scale...

    I guess you relate that c-c#-d with those bebop scale chromatisms? Or not?

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Yes.. I thought about it.
    C7b9 sound.. sort of... or C9
    Or both..
    Or none and just cromatism

    Well anyway it is F major bebop scale if you look for conventional nomenclature.

    I personally would not think of scale at all in that context but it is me..

    In the exercise there are just passing chromatic notes...

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Yes.. I thought about it.

    Well anyway it is F major bebop scale if you look for conventional nomenclature.

    .
    Thanks, it is indeed. I don't think of Bebop scales - and their "modes" that readily (yet).

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    It is D minor that they add a passing note the C# Basicly moving the 7th to a major

  11. #10
    Thanks Jaxon.

    Given that it's a C7 (V7), and in a jazz context it makes more sense to me as F Major Bebop. The alternative analysis is some kind of goofy Mixolydian, given that it has a b9 and natural 9.

    At any rate, it has a cool sound when played as written. Finale exports a WAV file but I can't upload that format here. Too much of a disk hog I'm guessing...

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    The attachment calls it a complex pattern.
    It's in key of C major using sharps for ascending and flats for descending.

    C C# D F E D C C# D Bb G F E G D Db
    then an octave lower

    C C# D F E D C C# D Bb G F E G E Db C

    Notice the D vs E near the end of the lines.
    Notice the context is stated C7.
    Notice there is no A note; an A natural would sound Cmaj6th and an Ab would sound Caug in context of C.
    The C C# D sounds like a classical ornament...

    If you treat the C# as an ornament and omit it, then things happen depending on what is done with the missing A note:
    If you allow the natural A, you can have scales F major, F ionian, D natural minor, and G dorian.
    If you allow the A to be Ab, you can have F melodic minor.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Thanks, it is indeed. I don't think of Bebop scales - and their "modes" that readily (yet).
    Note this C# comes always on 'and'

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    The question may be from a Jazz context but the
    attachment score may be Classical (it is for viola).

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    It does look classical - except classical scores don't usually do chord symbols!

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar

    Given that it's a C7 (V7), and in a jazz context it makes more sense to me as F Major Bebop. The alternative analysis is some kind of goofy Mixolydian, given that it has a b9 and natural 9.
    You can insert a chromatic note into a scale for effect but it doesn't make it some sort of 'new scale'. That's the way of confusion. The only scale that has the notes in your example is the F major bebop - F G A B C Db D E F. It's not 'some sort of Mixolydian'!

    But it doesn't mean you can't play the mixolydian mode of F major and stick some other note in it if you want. We often do that without thinking about it anyway because it's easier to finger. I mean, you could play E F Gb G A Bb B C over a C7 but god knows what it is!

    So, to keep to your example, the notes you posted are the F major scale (perfectly right over C7) with the added Db. They've decided that's called the F major bebop scale. (All these bebop scales are manufactured anyway).

    By the way, it wouldn't work if the chord was a C7b9. The natural D would throw it out.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Thr excercise in PDF have C# as strictly passig.. it is not about C7b9... to me C7b9 should sound with b9 stressed.
    Melodic passing note on weak beat is not enough to get the colour of dom7b9 for my ears...

    F Bebop major scale motives fits perfectly well if one treats scale as melodic pattern.

    I would rather think of chor tones and extentions with passing notes but I can uderstand scale thinling as linear approach too here.

    Notice there is no A note; an A natural would sound Cmaj6th and an Ab would sound Caug in context of C.
    The C C# D sounds like a classical ornament...
    I do nto think that A and Ab would not just abstractly call mot C6 or Caug sound... To my ears it to C6 colour you really need to have 6th stable and unresolved. Or at leasy accented resolved with some delay like in Stand by Me first bar


    The question may be from a Jazz context but the
    attachment score may be Classical (it is for viola).
    I think Viola in this case is last name, the file is called Joseph Viola.
    The pattern sounds totally jazz language.

    Besides it would be crazy to notate score for viola like this)))
    Too high and treble clef... really not conventional)))

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Or is it "synthetic" or "exotic"? Spell it in any order or mode, but what is it? The notes are:

    D E F G A Bb C C#
    Its a fusion of D natural and harmonic minor. You often hear lines using both C and C# over an A7b9 chord for instance.

    I use this scale a lot, but I usually think of it as a C7 (mixolydian) scale with an option to use C#. In this case I would most frequently use it before a D chord of some kind.

    This is my default way of playing a leading tone dim - I or a minor II V I

    It’s kind of the standard way to handle this progression in bop

    Barry Harris describes this as playing the C7 into the third of A7. C7 is a good choice over Em7b5

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Oh yeah, it also has the same notes as F major sixth diminished

    Scales are useless without some idea of how to use them to create music though. Schools of thought vary.

    Anyway the attached document doesn’t look like the way I would use the scale.

  20. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    The attachment calls it a complex pattern.
    It's in key of C major using sharps for ascending and flats for descending.

    C C# D F E D C C# D Bb G F E G D Db
    then an octave lower

    C C# D F E D C C# D Bb G F E G E Db C

    Notice the D vs E near the end of the lines.
    Notice the context is stated C7.
    Notice there is no A note; an A natural would sound Cmaj6th and an Ab would sound Caug in context of C.
    The C C# D sounds like a classical ornament...

    If you treat the C# as an ornament and omit it, then things happen depending on what is done with the missing A note:
    If you allow the natural A, you can have scales F major, F ionian, D natural minor, and G dorian.
    If you allow the A to be Ab, you can have F melodic minor.
    It's not in the key of C major. Rather, it's a "no key signature" format that shows all cautionary/courtesy accidentals.

  21. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Thr excercise in PDF have C# as strictly passig.. it is not about C7b9... to me C7b9 should sound with b9 stressed.
    Melodic passing note on weak beat is not enough to get the colour of dom7b9 for my ears...

    F Bebop major scale motives fits perfectly well if one treats scale as melodic pattern.

    I would rather think of chor tones and extentions with passing notes but I can uderstand scale thinling as linear approach too here.



    I do nto think that A and Ab would not just abstractly call mot C6 or Caug sound... To my ears it to C6 colour you really need to have 6th stable and unresolved. Or at leasy accented resolved with some delay like in Stand by Me first bar




    I think Viola in this case is last name, the file is called Joseph Viola.
    The pattern sounds totally jazz language.

    Besides it would be crazy to notate score for viola like this)))
    Too high and treble clef... really not conventional)))
    Right again.

    It's an excerpt (labeled "Complex" by me) in Finale, of an exercise that Joseph Viola included in his chord studies book for saxophone, Berklee Press. The example right next to this one - still on C7, has an exercise with G Minor Bebop, 4th mode. These scale runs come at the end of some studies on C7, most of which are centered on approach notes - chromatic from below, scale tone from above, then both. Then some wider interval approaches and enclosures that sound a little more "out". Finally these scale runs which are not vanilla mixolydian.

    That should add some context. Sorry to have confused.

  22. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Oh yeah, it also has the same notes as F major sixth diminished

    Scales are useless without some idea of how to use them to create music though. Schools of thought vary.

    Anyway the attached document doesn’t look like the way I would use the scale.
    It has a very "out" sound the way it's used here. More post-bop I would say.

  23. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    (All these bebop scales are manufactured anyway).

    Yeah, manufactured. Dan Haerle called them "synthetic". Same idea.

    I guess any scale is, until it's used enough and thus puts on some weight.

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Or is it "synthetic" or "exotic"? Spell it in any order or mode, but what is it? The notes are:

    D E F G A Bb C C#
    the major 6 diminished scale...this was a test right?

  25. #24
    No, was not a test but if it makes it more fun that’s OK.

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by WILSON 1
    the major 6 diminished scale...this was a test right?
    have a look at the musical example. It’s not that kind of vibe.

    Which raises an interesting point; it’s not the notes always, often it’s the emphasis.

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    This is a very common scale in jazz. "A" Phrygian dominant with an added #9.

    Whenever you use the Phrygian dominant scale you can always add the #9 to fill minor third interval. Then you got both the b9 and #9 in the scale.

    It's spelled starting from D because D is the key (or target) in this context. A7b9 -> D minor.

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    have a look at the musical example. It’s not that kind of vibe.

    Which raises an interesting point; it’s not the notes always, often it’s the emphasis.
    I'd say some scales (or in general theory conceptions) are associated with particular contextual application and it does not seem correct to use the term abstractly.

    Some are just more abstract like most CST stuff

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    have a look at the musical example. It’s not that kind of vibe.

    Which raises an interesting point; it’s not the notes always, often it’s the emphasis.
    No musical example just notes.

  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by WILSON 1
    No musical example just notes.
    Musical examples of this scale is everywhere. Check out the bar 12 of Donna Lee (F7b9):
    https://d29ci68ykuu27r.cloudfront.ne...large_file.png

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    No, was not a test but if it makes it more fun that’s OK.
    Yeah, you said spell it any order or mode what is it? and so I did...and it looks like it's going to be fun.

    [ F G A Bb C C# D E F ] F major6 dim scale

  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    I'd say some scales (or in general theory conceptions) are associated with particular contextual application and it does not seem correct to use the term abstractly.

    Some are just more abstract like most CST stuff
    Yeah. I think that's it.

    Chord scales should be called harmonic palettes or colour pitch sets or something, really.

    But there is a historical connection there with jazz language as well so its more complicated.

  33. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by WILSON 1
    No musical example just notes.
    See post #4.

    And what is a "Maj6 Dim scale"? I've never heard of that. A Barry Harris coined name?

    Anyway, I believe we established that it was a mode of a bebop scale, didn't we? And who coined the term "bebop scale" for that matter? Is the Maj6 Dim scale the same as the bebop scale discussed previously?

  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    See post #4.

    And what is a "Maj6 Dim scale"? I've never heard of that. A Barry Harris coined name?

    Anyway, I believe we established that it was a mode of a bebop scale, didn't we? And who coined the term "bebop scale" for that matter? Is the Maj6 Dim scale the same as the bebop scale discussed previously?
    I think this is exactly what I and christian77 meant...

    as you notices 'maj6 Dim scale' and 'bebop scale' have the same notes. And as you also noticed 'maj6 Dim scale' is associated with Barry Harris a lot... but 'bebope' scale became much more general and much more abstractly used (though of course associated with bebop a lot).. and some also may associate it with David Baker methods.

    So this is the case where naming evokes a whole world of conceptions, contexts etc.

    I always believe that we name things not only for the purpose to put it in catalogue in alphabet order... I guess how we name it is partly how we understand it...

    Actually to me it is even quite stupid to get comforted with: 'This scale is called ...' what sense does it make?
    After all it does not matter how you call it - it is importnat what you can do with it... so lets make the name speak

    So it can be quite an open issue .. and a good topic for discussion... and often for useful discussion.

  35. #34

    User Info Menu

    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

    That’s Shakespeare

  36. #35

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

    That’s Shakespeare
    No, it's Dante!

  37. #36

    User Info Menu

    To me a scale is a useful limitation of all pitch possibilities. Let's take the scale in OP:
    D E F G A Bb C C#

    That is D Harmonic minor with an added b7 or as I said above A Phrygian dominant with an added #9.
    So from that scale I can get line ideas to play over A7b9:

    I got the arpeggios of:

    A7
    C# dim 7
    E half dim 7
    G Min7

    Also all these arpeggios in triad forms. Different rhythms, added half notes etc.

    Then I got that C (#9) note to throw in maybe together with Bb (b9), ideosythactic bebop reference. Whole a lot of bebop phrases open up with that note. Lot's to shred and expand vocabulary with.

    It so happens to be the case that I'm already very familiar with that scale. I'm sure many here are also but didn't recognize it immediately.

  38. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    I think this is exactly what I and christian77 meant...

    as you notices 'maj6 Dim scale' and 'bebop scale' have the same notes. And as you also noticed 'maj6 Dim scale' is associated with Barry Harris a lot... but 'bebope' scale became much more general and much more abstractly used (though of course associated with bebop a lot).. and some also may associate it with David Baker methods.

    So this is the case where naming evokes a whole world of conceptions, contexts etc.

    I always believe that we name things not only for the purpose to put it in catalogue in alphabet order... I guess how we name it is partly how we understand it...

    Actually to me it is even quite stupid to get comforted with: 'This scale is called ...' what sense does it make?
    After all it does not matter how you call it - it is importnat what you can do with it... so lets make the name speak

    So it can be quite an open issue .. and a good topic for discussion... and often for useful discussion.
    Terms are important in music. Terms are important in any field or practice that is wide and deep.

    I'm certain that "Bebop scale" is more common than any term that Barry Harris personally coined, at least to date. Barry is pretty influential though, and was/is a bona fide recording artist, so that may change over time.

    I don't follow him but it seems that he came to the Jazz Ed profession pretty late in life/career. I am aware that he has a devoted following, perhaps even a bit cult like. Has he penned any texts and are they well respected? He likes to criticize theorists but now the world is expected to see him as one?

    Isn't jazz interesting.

  39. #38

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Terms are important in music. Terms are important in any field or practice that is wide and deep.

    I'm certain that "Bebop scale" is more common than any term that Barry Harris personally coined, at least to date. Barry is pretty influential though, and was/is a bona fide recording artist, so that may change over time.

    I don't follow him but it seems that he came to the Jazz Ed profession pretty late in life/career. I am aware that he has a devoted following, perhaps even a bit cult like. Has he penned any texts and are they well respected? He likes to criticize theorists but now the world is expected to see him as one?

    Isn't jazz interesting.
    I am not BH follower though I really appreciate the beauty, elegance and true musicality, and occasionally use some of it.
    Socially... I also have a bit of a 'sect' feeling about it.. (I hate to say it but somewhere deep in my mind I have a feeling that his influence can be more controversal results in the future than it may seem now.

    I'll take risk to say..
    There is something in all that movement (in how it goes around and all) that goes against the spirit of jazz as I understand it ...not the bebop language of course - no problem with it - but the spirit...

    But to be honest I do not care if he wrote something or not (I even estimate oral teaching higher) and how much academic environment receives him or not...
    I appreciate how he arranged it all in his theory. At least his theory is all directly about playing music, it is very practical. This is very important.... especially for untalented students. Good democratic educational too.

    As for bebop scale.. well now it is more common.. but considering BH growing authority... who knows?

    And again his Maj6dim scale is totally different thing than bebop scale as it is used by David Baker for example.

  40. #39

    User Info Menu

    Yeah Barry Harris devotees are a scary lot.

  41. #40

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Terms are important in music. Terms are important in any field or practice that is wide and deep.

    I'm certain that "Bebop scale" is more common than any term that Barry Harris personally coined, at least to date. Barry is pretty influential though, and was/is a bona fide recording artist, so that may change over time.

    I don't follow him but it seems that he came to the Jazz Ed profession pretty late in life/career. I am aware that he has a devoted following, perhaps even a bit cult like. Has he penned any texts and are they well respected? He likes to criticize theorists but now the world is expected to see him as one?

    Isn't jazz interesting.
    You probably have that impression because he has recently gained a lot of internet fame. But I was going to his classes twenty years ago and no one knew who he was outside of NYC.

    Barry Harris has been teaching since his youth. in the 1950s in Detroit he was already considered a go to guy for theory. Highly influential in the Detroit jazz circle, which was greatly influential on Hard bop and Blue note.

    it’s sometimes hard to disentangle students from associates and friends, learning was often informal back then, but those who Barry could have been said to have taught to some extent include;

    Paul Chambers
    James Jamerson
    Joe Henderson
    Tommy Flanagan
    Kenny Burrell
    Mark Levine

    Lee Konitz was attending Barry’s classes shortly before his death.

    Paul Berliner notes Coltrane went to Detroit to check out what Barry was doing, probably influenced by Paul Chambers.

    Oh yeah, he used to be roomies with Monk

    As a musician, Barry has played with most of the greats. You might want to check out his recordings with Lee Morgan, Dexter Gordon and Sonny Stitt, as well as many others including Warne Marsh, Lee Konitz and Wes Montgomery. There’s also a fun date with the Basie orchestra sans Basie (‘the Basie-ties’)

    And he is a brilliant, instantly identifiable player on all of those dates.

    Most of the jazz musicians in NYC passed through his studio at one point or another.

    In any case it’s easy to see why a sort of sect element has coagulated around him. He is one of the few legit greats of the bop era left alive, and he teaches! What a cache.

    It’s also perhaps easy to appreciate why someone like that might be at odds with certain education institutions. As I understand it (well this is a story he tells himself) he did a seminar at Berklee once and told the students everything they were being taught was wrong. He wasn’t booked again.

    There are other legendary jazz educators of the era; Tristano, Sandole, Banacos... but they have all sadly passed on...

    In terms of Barry’s terminology; it’s specific, precise, well thought out and completely different to mainstream jazz edu. That can be a barrier for newbs. (But TBF mainstream jazz edu terminology is a bit of a mess, perhaps inevitably.)
    Last edited by christianm77; 04-11-2021 at 03:58 PM.

  42. #41

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    I am not BH follower though I really appreciate the beauty, elegance and true musicality, and occasionally use some of it.
    Socially... I also have a bit of a 'sect' feeling about it.. (I hate to say it but somewhere deep in my mind I have a feeling that his influence can be more controversal results in the future than it may seem now.

    I'll take risk to say..
    There is something in all that movement (in how it goes around and all) that goes against the spirit of jazz as I understand it ...not the bebop language of course - no problem with it - but the spirit...

    But to be honest I do not care if he wrote something or not (I even estimate oral teaching higher) and how much academic environment receives him or not...
    I appreciate how he arranged it all in his theory. At least his theory is all directly about playing music, it is very practical. This is very important.... especially for untalented students. Good democratic educational too.

    As for bebop scale.. well now it is more common.. but considering BH growing authority... who knows?

    And again his Maj6dim scale is totally different thing than bebop scale as it is used by David Baker for example.
    I think that’s fair, and sort of describes why I have moved away from the Barry orbit a little.

    I’ve found his teaching to be incredibly helpful for one specific thing - mastering bop vocabulary. At that it is the best stuff, bar none. I do mean to revisit David Baker at some point but people who know both say there’s no comparison.

    Anyway, I’m more interested in apply the spirit, the meta aspects, of what he teaches and trying to apply what I learned from him within my own framework (hopefully one accessible to newcomers without misrepresenting his work.)

    There are a few like Chris from TILFBH and Isaac Raz who are happy to represent Barry’s teaching as accurately as they can, and they know more about it than me anyway.

    I also think a lot of people who haven’t been to his classes don’t really understand what his teaching is really about. Quite a lot of it is aural; the theory is secondary really. And it’s FAST; aural learning at tempo. Read Berliner’s account in Thinking in Jazz for more info.

  43. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    You probably have that impression because he has recently gained a lot of internet fame. But I was going to his classes twenty years ago and no one knew who he was outside of NYC.

    Barry Harris has been teaching since his youth. in the 1950s in Detroit he was already considered a go to guy for theory. Highly influential in the Detroit jazz circle, which was greatly influential on Hard bop and Blue note.

    it’s sometimes hard to disentangle students from associates and friends, learning was often informal back then, but those who Barry could have been said to have taught to some extent include;

    Paul Chambers
    James Jamerson
    Joe Henderson
    Tommy Flanagan
    Kenny Burrell
    Mark Levine

    Lee Konitz was attending Barry’s classes shortly before his death.

    Paul Berliner notes Coltrane went to Detroit to check out what Barry was doing, probably influenced by Paul Chambers.

    Oh yeah, he used to be roomies with Monk

    As a musician, Barry has played with most of the greats. You might want to check out his recordings with Lee Morgan, Dexter Gordon and Sonny Stitt, as well as many others including Warne Marsh, Lee Konitz and Wes Montgomery. There’s also a fun date with the Basie orchestra sans Basie (‘the Basie-ties’)

    And he is a brilliant, instantly identifiable player on all of those dates.

    Most of the jazz musicians in NYC passed through his studio at one point or another.

    In any case it’s easy to see why a sort of sect element has coagulated around him. He is one of the few legit greats of the bop era left alive, and he teaches! What a cache.

    It’s also perhaps easy to appreciate why someone like that might be at odds with certain education institutions. As I understand it (well this is a story he tells himself) he did a seminar at Berklee once and told the students everything they were being taught was wrong. He wasn’t booked again.

    There are other legendary jazz educators of the era; Tristano, Sandole, Banacos... but they have all sadly passed on...

    In terms of Barry’s terminology; it’s specific, precise, well thought out and completely different to mainstream jazz edu. That can be a barrier for newbs. (But TBF mainstream jazz edu terminology is a bit of a mess, perhaps inevitably.)

    You're correct, I didn't know that he had been teaching that long. Interesting that he is all the rage NOW. Is his stuff written down somewhere? (like in a book/books). That would be great.

    I heard him on Sirius XM Real Jazz not too long ago, an old recording, he sounded great. I didn't know it was him until the DJ mentioned it. I recognized a classic line that sounded a lot like a cliche that Joe Pass used a lot.


    So how would one characterize his theory (if we may be allowed to use the term) relative to more "mainstream" jazz edu? (And I don't mean Berklee specifically). I am vaguely aware that he has his own take on 8-note scales and different harmonic thinking/naming. And I am under the impression that he is very bebop centric.

  44. #43

    User Info Menu

    Barry says there is no such thing as the bebop scale:


  45. #44

    User Info Menu

    You're correct, I didn't know that he had been teaching that long. Interesting that he is all the rage NOW. Is his stuff written down somewhere? (like in a book/books). That would be great.
    Alan Kingston
    Barry Harris harmonic method for guitar.

    It does not cover his linear approach though.

    It is very concise but I think it covers the essence

  46. #45

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Barry says there is no such thing as the bebop scale:

    Good post there, grahambop.

    As a member of the "cult" mentioned above I have to say, why would I limit myself to singular concepts associated with chord / scale relationships.

  47. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Alan Kingston
    Barry Harris harmonic method for guitar.

    It does not cover his linear approach though.

    It is very concise but I think it covers the essence
    Thanks. Not available at Amazon (which may not mean anything), but maybe at this link?

    https://www.jazzschoolonline.com/ind...d=520#appendix

    It mentions scales but not "lines", to your point.

    Anyway, thanks.

  48. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Barry says there is no such thing as the bebop scale:


    Laughable. Barry doesn't "feel" that there is such a thing as a bebop scale.

    Well guess what? There is if people play it. The end.

  49. #48

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Laughable. Barry doesn't "feel" that there is such a thing as a bebop scale.

    Well guess what? There is if people play it. The end.
    "feel" = misinterpreting this scale as a singular limiting idea i.e. playing one idea over a chord
    instead of seeing it as stated above as a "rhythmic" placeholder for numerous iterations.

    Why so hostile?

  50. #49
    Hostile? Lol. That's far from hostile. I could likewise say.... "why so iconoclastic?"

    So, how about... critical?

    Seriously, I don't care what people "feel" when they set out on a course of logical argumentation. Feel/schmeel. (Something I told a relatively inexperienced Ivy League boss once. He didn't really appreciate it, but he knew he was weak on the point).

    The thing is, David Baker's books have the "student" doing a lot more than just playing the bebop scales (plural) ascending/descending by rote.

    But to Barry's point - there is more than just those scales. People can throw in chromatics all over the place, and they do. So Barry has a point, and he his favorite 8-note scales too, right? Or at least chromatic passages for a range short of a full octave? How about Joe Pass? How about Dave Liebman?

    So, is there any practical reason to create "synthetic" 8-note scales? (again, plural).

    I can think of one. Musicians practice sales.

    I can think of another. Telling people to practice diatonic scales (and arpeggios) - but - "also throw in some chromatics, and go from there!" probably won't cut it.

    So, are there patterns in what the masters did/do? Was/is there repeatability? If the answer is yes, then creating some drills (and yes, even "scales") that build skills along those lines seems like a practical thing to do.

    In the end it's not enough though, right? There is the music. That's why transcription is advised. Or shall we call it copying/stealing?

    Imitate-Assimilate-Innovate.

  51. #50

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Hostile? Lol. That's far from hostile. I could likewise say.... "why so iconoclastic?"

    So, how about... critical?

    Seriously, I don't care what people "feel" when they set out on a course of logical argumentation. Feel/schmeel. (Something I told a relatively inexperienced Ivy League boss once. He didn't really appreciate it, but he knew he was weak on the point).

    The thing is, David Baker's books have the "student" doing a lot more than just playing the bebop scales (plural) ascending/descending by rote.

    But to Barry's point - there is more than just those scales. People can throw in chromatics all over the place, and they do. So Barry has a point, and he his favorite 8-note scales too, right? Or at least chromatic passages for a range short of a full octave? How about Joe Pass? How about Dave Liebman?

    So, is there any practical reason to create "synthetic" 8-note scales? (again, plural).

    I can think of one. Musicians practice sales.

    I can think of another. Telling people to practice diatonic scales (and arpeggios) - but - "also throw in some chromatics, and go from there!" probably won't cut it.

    So, are there patterns in what the masters did/do? Was/is there repeatability? If the answer is yes, then creating some drills (and yes, even "scales") that build skills along those lines seems like a practical thing to do.

    In the end it's not enough though, right? There is the music. That's why transcription is advised. Or shall we call it copying/stealing?

    Imitate-Assimilate-Innovate.
    Well... 'feel' is quite soft word... I do not think Barry says that.

    Artisic critic and theories are not quite as much scientidfic: it is quite possible that the scale exists for one and does not exist for the other.
    Theories describe first of all the way we percieve artistic world and language...
    And great personalities can often bring it to the extremes.

    Ruskin made his own classification of orders that seem much more convincing for me than traditional historical classification, Bach hardly litterally thought in terms of functional tonality but the theory of funciotnal tonality describes the semantical world of his musical language very well...

    If you use 'bebop scale' it brings in a conceptionof 8-note scale... it implies some equality of notes, some abstracy of scale idea to certain degree..
    BH uses in line approach majo/minor/dom scales with added chromatics between particular tones... in particular places.
    This is a different thing. Chromatics is always secondary to the scale note... scale is more referential to harmony here - and stays melodic at the same time and so on.

    it does not exclude for me David Baker, it does not exclude transcribing...

    But it also does not make me kill myself beating my head against the wall and trying to prove to Barry or his followers that 'bebop scale' exists... especially only because someone plays it (it is not experimental physics, this kind of proof does not work in artistic area).

    What is important for me and what is vivid this is waht exists... Barry Harris approach is interesting thing.

    And again Maj6dim scale is a harmonic tool - and though it has the same notes as 'bebop scale' it presumes totally different conception.


    I also think that before really criticizing something with strong point you shoudl (yes I think you really shoul) go a bit further than just reading the contents page of the book... give it a try.

    Of course BH is often agressive - I do not like what he says about Bill Evans... and I think Pat Metheny hardly exists for him too)
    But this is not the main point of his method