The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm doing presets for a quiz app.

Dom7 is nice and classical. 65, 43, 2..
    Is it even useful and practical to name them like that? Not used in jazz that much?
    And then, when marking down Maj7 inversions and Min7 ones.. whats the best way?

School was 17 years ago.. cant remember lots of things..

Oh, and if you have a good idea about a preset setup, PM me freely.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    I'm doing presets for a quiz app.

Dom7 is nice and classical. 65, 43, 2..
    Is it even useful and practical to name them like that? Not used in jazz that much?
    And then, when marking down Maj7 inversions and Min7 ones.. whats the best way?

School was 17 years ago.. cant remember lots of things..

Oh, and if you have a good idea about a preset setup, PM me freely.
    I must say that I have not thought about figured bass since I was in college
    during the 1970s. And aside from one or two early music ensembles in the
    years immediately following college I'd also have to say it's never come up. So,
    yes, not widely... if at all... used in other genres. I've never seen it myself
    in a jazz chart.

You would likely see an inversion in a jazz chart written as a "slash chord".
    So, for example, a G minor 7th first inversion might be notated Gmin7/Bb or,
    as I more commonly see it, G-7/Bb

User Info Menu

I name inversion grips based on the bass (lowest) note: Maj 7th, with 5th as the bass note,,, Minor 7th with b3rd as bass note, etc...

But most of the time I use them based on what the top note is and the associated melody notes.

Thanks.
    Maybe like: D7/3rd then.. D as "dominant. Although, that I've never seen written anywhere
    Or just D7 1st inv. That would make sense to more people I'd believe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I name inversion grips based on the bass (lowest) note: Maj 7th, with 5th as the bass note,,, Minor 7th with b3rd as bass note, etc...

But most of the time I use them based on what the top note is and the associated melody notes.
    Yes, that's the approach Bret Willmott takes in his Complete Book of Harmony, Theory and Voicing. His book deals exclusively with Drop 2 harmony so it makes perfect sense. However, it comes as a surprise seeing only the melody note in the examples when the majority of music texts follow post-baroque root-based conventions.

Well, it's here now. Didn't really know what to put in those presets. Will do for now..
    justChords

edit: crap. something went wrong there. will fix tomorrow
    done i think.
    Last edited by emanresu; 02-01-2021 at 05:46 AM.