The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Rediscovering Debussy's Reflets dans l'eau after listening to alot of Oscar Peterson and other Jazz pianists, this seems to be one of the more influential pieces of his. Curious of how you all would interpret the first page or so in a Jazz context. It starts with sort of a modal planing in Db Ionian, then curious about the third system

The second to last bar on the first page is interesting, treating the first 16ths of each beat as passing tones, the progression to me is

Do7 - Cb7 - Bbbo7 - Gb7, then to some sort of Eb 4th chord under a Gbm triad, which has a dominant sus sound to me, but dont really get why, which then resolves to Db in the next bar on the following page

Debussy - Reflets Dans l'Eau - [PDF Document]

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I do not analyze classical music!

Especially in Qb

User Info Menu

The 3rd system goes (via a ‘walking up’bassline) to b7(13), then to I7(13), doesn’t it? A pretty ‘jazzy’ move.

Yes, with the first 16ths as passing notes, it’s sort of Bdim-B7-Gbdim-Gb7, then the rather ‘Phrygian’ sounding Gbmi over Ab - a sound Debussy seemed to like to use to evoke mysterious feelings.

User Info Menu

Something something figured bass something something, something something Gjerdigen Partimenti in the Paris Conservatoire during Beaux Arts period something something

LOOK I CAN’T EVEN DO FENAROLI NUMBER ONE YET SHUT UP

Dunno, Debussy sits there like a large, overfed cat that meows when you try to move him. It winds me up to be honest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    Rediscovering Debussy's Reflets dans l'eau after listening to alot of Oscar Peterson and other Jazz pianists, this seems to be one of the more influential pieces of his. Curious of how you all would interpret the first page or so in a Jazz context. It starts with sort of a modal planing in Db Ionian, then curious about the third system

The second to last bar on the first page is interesting, treating the first 16ths of each beat as passing tones, the progression to me is

Do7 - Cb7 - Bbbo7 - Gb7, then to some sort of Eb 4th chord under a Gbm triad, which has a dominant sus sound to me, but dont really get why, which then resolves to Db in the next bar on the following page

Debussy - Reflets Dans l'Eau - [PDF Document]
    That's the Real Book version, right? You know, those changes are wrong, don't you? It's just a blues in C.

John

Quote Originally Posted by cmajor9
    The 3rd system goes (via a ‘walking up’bassline) to b7(13), then to I7(13), doesn’t it? A pretty ‘jazzy’ move.
    yes and just looking at first if each group of 3 16ths in bar 10 you have Ab13 to Cb13, a minor 3rd dominant sub

User Info Menu

Page 1 is mostly vamping Db and planing dominant 7ths:

|| Db Ionian for 8 bars ||
    ||Ab7 A7+4 Bb7 B7 | Ab7 A7 Bb7 B7 C7 ||
    || Db7 | Ab7 | G-11/D (surprise!!!) |
    | Ddim B7+4 A7+4 Gb7 | Eb-7b5 11| end of page 1... back to Db

Last edited by rintincop; 01-30-2021 at 08:00 PM.

User Info Menu

"Engulfed Cathedral" analyzed: