The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

The Cheese (or Elton John) Dominant chord: odd names for everyday sounds-cheese-dominant-elton-john-dominant-jpg
    A music theory professor at the University of Iowa tweeted out the following: This is the first extended tertian harmony I ever learned, and to this day I still call it the "cheese dominant" or "Elton John dominant" rather than its proper name.
    https://twitter.com/Komaniecki_R/sta...52154212466689

[For those who do not read music, this is an F chord with a G in the bass.)

An interesting thread followed. The chord is very common in soul music---some call it the "Motown V", the "soul dominant" or just the "soul chord." Some call it the Carole King chord and others "the '80s V chord".

As a kid I heard the E7#9 chord called "the Jimi Hendrix E" and I've heard the same thing as an adult. There's also "the Freddie King chord" (X X 12 11 9 12), used with great fanfare in "Hideaway." I don't remember too many other examples, though.

What about you?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

G11 of G/F, I most associate that with part of the gospel music chords.

User Info Menu

I've heard Barney Kessel use this somewhere... will have to look for it.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=MarkRhodes;1086375]The Cheese (or Elton John) Dominant chord: odd names for everyday sounds-cheese-dominant-elton-john-dominant-jpg

That's the 70s right there. I call it the Hall & Oates chord (check out 'She's Gone')

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Irishmuso;1086396]
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    The Cheese (or Elton John) Dominant chord: odd names for everyday sounds-cheese-dominant-elton-john-dominant-jpg

That's the 70s right there. I call it the Hall & Oates chord (check out 'She's Gone')
    Funny you should mention "She's Gone." In the thread, someone posts a link to a journal article about pop music (in light of music theory) and has a lot to say about that song.

User Info Menu

The Steely Dan Mu Chord (close add 9)

User Info Menu

Oscar Peterson's "Misty Chord" D/Eb:

User Info Menu

A music theory professor at the University of Iowa tweeted out the following: This is the first extended tertian harmony I ever learned, and to this day I still call it the "cheese dominant" or "Elton John dominant" rather than its proper name.
    https://twitter.com/Komaniecki_R/sta...52154212466689

[For those who do not read music, this is an F chord with a G in the bass.)

An interesting thread followed. The chord is very common in soul music---some call it the "Motown V", the "soul dominant" or just the "soul chord." Some call it the Carole King chord and others "the '80s V chord".

As a kid I heard the E7#9 chord called "the Jimi Hendrix E" and I've heard the same thing as an adult. There's also "the Freddie King chord" (X X 12 11 9 12), used with great fanfare in "Hideaway." I don't remember too many other examples, though.

What about you?

Yeah for the last few years I’ve called F/G the Boomer dominant lol. but yes Gospel to Motown to Carole King....

Jordan K likes that one as a ii chord

I think Beato called G/C the Genesis chord

Am(maj9) obviously James Bond

More guitar specific

x x 2 3 3 3 The Django chord

3 3 2 4 x x the Kurt Rosenwinkel chord

User Info Menu

Oh the ‘instant contemporary jazz chord’

x 5 8 5 6 x

User Info Menu

I downloaded Bucky Pizzarelli's 'A Pros Approach to Chord Melody' from the web, 6 - 8 tunes ( ballads + a couple of Bossas I havn't got to yet), this chords all over the place - I'll have to check when it was written..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    3 3 2 4 x x the Kurt Rosenwinkel chord
    Also a Jim Hall favourite...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    I downloaded Bucky Pizzarelli's 'A Pros Approach to Chord Melody' from the web, 6 - 8 tunes ( ballads + a couple of Bossas I havn't got to yet), this chords all over the place - I'll have to check when it was written..
    If it’s got Bossas, 60’s earliest

User Info Menu

David Gilmore's Em:

Rake it slowly from treble to bass and give the trem a wiggle.

User Info Menu

If it’s got Bossas, 60’s earliest

User Info Menu

Oh the ‘instant contemporary jazz chord’

x 5 8 5 6 x
    yay !

my fav version of dis chord is

(you’ve been takin your time
    5x5500
    you’ve been livin on
    solid air ....)

that’s beautiful to me ....

User Info Menu

Surely it’s Zzzzzolid air?

User Info Menu

Mark Levine has called it the Carol King chord too. He also labels certain chords the Herbie Hancock chord (2 of those), the Kenny Barron chord, the Monk chord, Bill Evans chords (all stock rootless voicingings in 4 note close) ... the McCoy Tyner major chord and the Chick Corea major chord, also the Duke Ellington chord. In addition to those I personally have two chords nicknamed Keith Jarrett chords and also two Joe Sample nick named chords.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    Mark Levine has called it the Carol King chord too. He also labels certain chords the Herbie Hancock chord (2 of those), the Kenny Barron chord, the Monk chord, Bill Evans chords (all stock rootless voicingings in 4 note close) ... the McCoy Tyner major chord and the Chick Corea major chord, also the Duke Ellington chord. In addition to those I personally have two chords nicknamed Keith Jarrett chords and also two Joe Sample nick named chords.
    You should spell those out!

User Info Menu

I really love turning the diminished scale into a chord (on the piano) or a long arpeggio:

B D F Ab Bb Db E G

or more unstably:

Bb Db E G B D F Ab

Who owns that? Duke?

User Info Menu

Funny you should mention "She's Gone." In the thread, someone posts a link to a journal article about pop music (in light of music theory) and has a lot to say about that song.[/QUOTE]

I've had a quick read through that article, even though I think the compulsion among academics to analyse and publish often overrides any actual utility the analysis may have. I wonder how much of the harmonic embellishments belong to the producers shining up the basic song? I think Arif Marden was in charge of the 'She's Gone' session and was responsible for the irresistable but completely over the top orchestral section which rises in half steps. Did George Martin smooth out some of the more awkward chord changes in early Lennon McCartney material?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles;[URL="tel:1086947"
    1086947[/URL]]You should spell those out!
    yes please !

User Info Menu

Episode #185 (9/23/2019) at 00:37:00 Jimmy Bruno & Bruce Forman discuss the "Montgomery Wards" & other bridges.

GuitarWank

Can't find it anymore but there was a video of Duke Ellington talking about "Cantoring" to build up an
    audience before an act: a simple, repeating I- vi-ii-V chord vamp; "We want Ed-die."

What? No mention of the 'secret Carlos Santa Chord Progression.'