The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 67

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    All you had to do was google it, not sure why a scientist would be unable to do that when dealing with a musical term they do not understand.

You’re the one who clearly doesn’t understand. You’re also ill mannered.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    And then a Technician comes along to make the thing work the way the Scientist and Engineer thought it would.
    (seriously, jimmy, could i resist that?)
    Somewhere there’s a mathematician complaining about the formalism.

User Info Menu

See also chord symbols; why doesn’t C9 chord symbol mean C major 9th?

For that matter; why are there black notes and white notes? Why not just 12 equal notes?

why isn’t the guitar tuned in fourths?

Etc etc.

in general my appreciation of the rich historical answers to these questions are more interesting to me than a desire to rationalise and reform...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by md54
    You’re the one who clearly doesn’t understand. You’re also ill mannered.
    Merry Christmas!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    See also chord symbols; why doesn’t C9 chord symbol mean C major 9th?

For that matter; why are there black notes and white notes? Why not just 12 equal notes?

why isn’t the guitar tuned in fourths?

Etc etc.

in general my appreciation of the rich historical answers to these questions are more interesting to me than a desire to rationalise and reform...
    Half diminished? Isn't it more like 3/4 diminished?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    And then a Technician comes along to make the thing work the way the Scientist and Engineer thought it would.
    (seriously, jimmy, could i resist that?)
    Then the musician comes along and says "Why am I on this stupid thread when I complain there's never enough time to practice?" (hypothetical question, not to be applied to present company...ahem)

User Info Menu

It’s probably about time we dropped this topic...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Half diminished? Isn't it more like 3/4 diminished?
    Haha i hadn’t thought of that one

User Info Menu

Then the musician comes along and says "Why am I on this stupid thread when I complain there's never enough time to practice?" (hypothetical question, not to be applied to present company...ahem)

Practice is afternoon work. Mrs Jazzkritter and I are keeping warm, with tea and scones, watching the Internet parade go by.
    (Full disclosure it’s 50F on 12/24 on the Jersey Shore. WTF!)

User Info Menu

Well, if I actually had an opportunity to do the thing I supposedly do for a living I’d be doing that.

Not happening at the moment.

At the moment my brain is being reduced to soup via childcare... this forum might not exactly keep me sane, but it is a distraction from the general preschool chunter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I come from a science background as well.

Music is not science.

Besides which as Jimmy blue note says; application is king. Musical physics is a rabbit hole best left to people who aren’t too concerned about actually learning to play any time soon.
    Who said music was science? Who said I was pursuing physics? Big and silly over reaction guys.
    Music is full of odd conventions handed down from history. (The drop n convention takes the biscuit). The music colleges have introduced a system of intelligent chord symbols and by and large it’s actually a lot better than it used to be in my lifetime. So clearly convention can be changed even in the mad world of art music. However this particular term is rubbish wether applied to voice /horn arrangement or especially guitar chords.
    What’s the big deal about asking for a clear logical uncomplicated term to help those struggling with harmony? What is so sacred about the idiot term that you all jump in to defend it?
    Example, Ami7b5 is the second chord of G minor with a flattened second note (Bb) with a drop second voicing where actually you drop the fifth voice not the second voice because the fifth voice is the second voice from the top counting downwards even though the convention for counting scales and intervals is to always count upwards.

Can’t think of anything better to put people off learning harmony.

User Info Menu

TBH the childcare is starting to look more interesting than having this boring ass discussion. It is a bit of a silly system, but hopefully you have see there’s some context to it. I don’t know what else I can add.

User Info Menu

If it makes it stop, I can say that you are right and have won the debate.

User Info Menu

... I have no problem with the concept and how useful it can be. ...
    Don't worry. This forum is not a place where people care to read and understand the question, before spilling the knowledge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Don't worry. This forum is not a place where people care to read and understand the question, before spilling the knowledge.
    That is for sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    What question? It has now disappeared (see post no. 1).

User Info Menu

Huh. It was all a bad dream.

Maybe it’s really “drop TO chord” and everyone’s been down a non existent path.

User Info Menu

Example, Ami7b5 is the second chord of G minor with a flattened second note (Bb) with a drop second voicing where actually you drop the fifth voice not the second voice because the fifth voice is the second voice from the top counting downwards even though the convention for counting scales and intervals is to always count upwards.
    I don’t think any of this makes any sense at all, not sure you’ve really grasped it (you seem to be confusing ‘drop 2’ with flattening an interval, it has no relation to that).

You can just ignore the whole drop chords thing, I don’t ever think about it really. Just learn the standard jazz guitar chord forms, know what notes and intervals they consist of, and you’ll be ok (that’s what I did).

The forum ‘lessons’ section probably has most of the jazz chords you’ll ever need.
    Last edited by grahambop; 12-24-2020 at 01:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue
    There's a Jimmy Bruno video where he's asked to explain Drop 2 chords. His response, "What the hell is a Drop 2 chord? I never even heard of that."
    I kind of get where he's coming from, but I also think it's unnecessarily dismissive. It's a way of organizing a particular kind of chord voicing. It allows you to talk about it without having to say, "See, here, like this...oh wait, you can't see because you are on a computer 3,000 miles away." I don't believe that he's never heard of drop 2 chords before: I actually asked Jimmy Bruno a question in person at a talk he gave last year, and because my question included the words "drop 2 and drop 3" he made some Bruno-ish crack about "I never heard about that" and then ignored the meat of my question.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue
    There's a Jimmy Bruno video where he's asked to explain Drop 2 chords. His response, "What the hell is a Drop 2 chord? I never even heard of that."
    I lived in Philly. I got a chance to know many sides of Jimmy Bruno and his dismissal of things outside of his sphere of knowledge was part of his charm, and sometimes part of an attitude that caused him sidemen. We'll leave it at that.
    He's got a lot of followers and worshippers but I don't like seeing people who elevate his own personal filters into shortcomings that justify dismissal of other points of view.
    This is jazz. The way I learned it, it's a personal statement of personal exploration. When Cab Calloway first heard bebop, he exclaimed "What is this? Chinese music?" and it was considered funny. I can't see the humour, but then again I guess I'm not an insider to that kind of attitude.

User Info Menu

See if you can pick out all the drop-2 and drop-3 chords being played.

If you can't, go back to playing just the blues.

User Info Menu

I guess, my casual observer's opinion, if we are strict about nomenclature, maybe there really are no "drop ... chords". There are voicings, made of voices counted from higher down, like in children choir. So Bruno might be playing smartass on that card.

My Band camp

User Info Menu

hi to all..this is why some/many/most come to this kind of forum...

to explore/discuss music and its endless mysteries and try to apply them to an instrument..in our case an illogical one...

lets all try and remember when we "discovered" how to harmonize the major scale in close voiced triads - on just one string set..it was as if the sky opened
    and the stairway to heaven appeared...(10 cent royalty to Mr Page)

music is science??..depends on a point of view and of course terminology...there was a guy who wrote a book called "Chord Chemistry"..does that count ?

some here may have met a musician playing a chord melody..and asked..hey..what is that third chord you used?..and the player replies "..well..I really dont know..it just sounds good.."

I have not used the term "drop" in any of my teaching and cannot recall any working date where the term was used..verbal or written..
    and if you asked me to voice a drop chord..I would require some time to figure out how to play one..although I may know it well by another name like (C7/Bb)

I see it this way .. if it works for you and you can communicate it to other musicians then it seems no harm no foul...

If it works for you BUT you cant communicate it to someone like me...if you said ..its a DMA7 drop 2...I would really be lost..

there are many things to learn musically..I try and study things I can understand..by sound/site/feel/thinking and finally playing

I would choose to study "the diminished scale explored" over the D Major Scale harmonized in Drop 2 Voicing..but thats just me

stay safe and enjoy the holidays

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    See if you can pick out all the drop-2 and drop-3 chords being played.

If you can't, go back to playing just the blues.
    and if you can't play the blues go back to playing drop 2 and drop 3 chords

User Info Menu

I lived in Philly. I got a chance to know many sides of Jimmy Bruno and his dismissal of things outside of his sphere of knowledge was part of his charm, and sometimes part of an attitude that caused him sidemen. We'll leave it at that.
    He's got a lot of followers and worshippers but I don't like seeing people who elevate his own personal filters into shortcomings that justify dismissal of other points of view.
    This is jazz. The way I learned it, it's a personal statement of personal exploration. When Cab Calloway first heard bebop, he exclaimed "What is this? Chinese music?" and it was considered funny. I can't see the humour, but then again I guess I'm not an insider to that kind of attitude.
    100%

one thing I’ve learned is that it’s good to take what you want from gurus and famous teachers. Some are both big personalities and great musicians. I enjoy a good rant from guys like this lol. (So many people now are so bland, afraid to voice their thoughts... the old guys were full of opinions on this or that.)

But to hang on every word of this or that teacher, take what they say as gospel; I don’t think that’s ever a good idea.